Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Low Riding - one notch too low . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 10:38 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Low Riding - one notch too low . . .

I pulled out of the driveway this evening just before dark on an errand with my daughter and saw a car coming toward me at about 20 mph. We noticed something was wrong because the car, a relatively new Impala, dropped and sporting some cheap rims was slowly veering toward the ditch. We stopped to watch a slow-motion accident unfold before our eyes.

Now our neighborhood was once a pecan orchard, and our street is lined with trees that must be well over 70 years old. The trees stand in a perfectly straight row for two miles arching over the narrow two-lane street and there are fairly deep open ditches on either side of the road between the pavement and the trees. Get the picture? The car was slowly headed into the ditch.

I flashed the headlights thinking some elderly driver had just nodded off, but the car slowly drove into the ditch, rolled on its side, and slid to a halt. I start to get out to help when two gang-banger wannabes in what must have been their impression of their "colors" opened the door on the upper side and bailed out. The question was were they going to flee or fight.

Thankfully they did neither as they tried to right the vehicle and back it onto the street. I asked them if they needed a tow truck, because that was the only way they'd get out of there, but no, they'd take care of it.

After fifteen minutes of wheel spinning and drawing a crowd, a friend shows up with a pickup and a tow chain. With a series of actions that would have done a silent movie comedy proud, they hooked up and burned a sufficient amount of rubber between the Impala and the pickup to haul the car out of the ditch, much to the amusement of a circle of neighbors who by now were standing around watching.

How could the accident have happened? My daughter thought they were fiddling with the radio and drove off the road, but an inspection of the car revealed the real cause. The kids, in an attempt to imitate their low-rider heroes had laid the seats back to an almost horizontal position. Very cool, this pair.

I had wondered why I couldn't see anyone through the windshield as they approached - they were lying flat on the seat, navigating by the rows of trees because they couldn't possibly see the roadway. Unfortunately one home had planted new trees set back about four feet from the edge of the ditch, and the driver, thinking the arrow-straight road had either widened or turned when the trees moved to his right, he simply followed the tree line and rolled the car into the ditch.

Memo to the Cholos and the Latin Kings: You don't want this pair, they're too dumb even for you. They may ride low, but attempting "celestial navigation" by pecan tree puts their IQ somewhere down around the altitude of a Tall Boy.
Old 07-20-09, 10:47 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slouch-driving-with-one-hand-on-the-steering-wheel fail!
Old 07-20-09, 11:01 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaha wow incredible stupidity at work. glad no one was hurt
Old 07-20-09, 11:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Luckily they didn't hit you guys and ended up in the ditch. I am glad I don't live in LA with all of the cholos and wannabe gangsters anymore.
Old 07-21-09, 05:13 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Old 07-21-09, 06:07 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Luckily they didn't hit you guys and ended up in the ditch. I am glad I don't live in LA with all of the cholos and wannabe gangsters anymore.
I was seriously considering backing up to the safety of our own driveway just as they left the road. The ditch was just over 4' deep at that point, so once committed, they weren't going much farther. My real concern was that they would encounter a driveway culvert before they stopped. Thankfully at that slow speed they neatly missed these obstacles.

Had a couple of guys in an old bimmer miss the timing when they ran off the road just across the street a few years back - destroyed the car when it went into the ditch, rolled over, hit the culvert, went airborne and landed in the middle of my neighbor's lawn. Between the airbags and the liquid anesthetic they had consumed in large quantities, no one was hurt in that incident either. Bet they were plenty sore when they woke up in the drunk tank the next morning.
Old 07-21-09, 07:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I start to get out to help when two gang-banger wannabes ...
Old 07-21-09, 09:37 AM
LexFather

lmfao at the pic.....

the last sentence has me dying..lol!!!

Old 07-21-09, 10:24 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good deal playing the Mensch here Lil4x in respects to offering to help them. Honestly, I would've just laughed and drove off. These people get into the stupid positions they are in because they emulate stupidity. I mean after all, they have be smarter than a parrot to copy the dress attire too .