Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some states cracking down on left-lane slowpokes

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 10:57 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Mike, awesome thread. Is there a way to rep you? Or maybe rate this thread. You got 5 stars from me...

^ Excellent post. I agree completely.

SPEAKING TO ALL SLOW LEFT-LANE-CAMPERS, get the F#@k out of the left lane. STAY RIGHT. It doesn't matter if you are cruising at the speed limit or near speed limit. Even if you are going at 90 mph on a 55 Zone and you are holding up cars behind you you need to move the f#@k over to the right lane. Even if you are traveling at 110mph on a 55 zone and there's a car behind you approaching at 140 mph YOU MOVE THE HELL OVER TO THE RIGHT LANE. You block traffic in the left lane you are:

- f#@king up the traffic flow
- wear out the brakes
- waste more gas
- increasing the chance of getting accidents
- increasing the chance of road rage

He speaks the gospel truth. If you are in the left lane, you had better be going faster than everyone else to your right and behind you regardless of everyone else's speed! GET OUT OF THE WAY!

Old 07-22-09, 11:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EZZ
He speaks the gospel truth. If you are in the left lane, you had better be going faster than everyone else to your right and behind you regardless of everyone else's speed! GET OUT OF THE WAY!

The left lane is not a place to park at any speed. Some Americans have the misguided attitude that they own the lane, or that they will deem what amount over the speed limit is the right amount..............................................

Driving skills are often pathetic, sadly.
Old 07-22-09, 10:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

They need to do something in AZ. Until then I will just keep giving the finger and passing aggressively for those clowns on the phone or texting while driving. I am still amazed that more people dont have blue tooth. The federal government should mandate that all cars in the us be sold with blue tooth
Old 07-23-09, 06:33 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Here is my issue as I travel a lot (towing a majority of the time).

On a 2 lane, often with a ton of semi’s I have no choice but to stay in the left hand lane most of the time even if I am only going 5 over.

I will get over if I see someone behind me wanting to go faster, but this is what ticks me off.

The thing that pisses me off about the oh so bad *** faster drivers is, I will move over and where they once wanted to speed by, they get past me, pull in front of me then SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The second issue is when driving on the two lanes, I will move to the right to let the other person pass and they will hover next to me or take 5 miles to pass, by then I have caught up to the next semi and have to slow down 10mph, knock off cruise control and wait to pull my *** over into the left hand lane again and repeat just to get behind the same guy that was riding my *** because he wanted to go so much faster.

For every left lane slow driver you have a left lane pass that does this same crap and messes up the flow. If you want to pass, drive in the left lane and drive faster then when I get over, ******* pass me quickly and keep moving!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-09, 07:39 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i agree with you 100%. at lot times people are slow in the left lane, following the speed limit when the traffic flow is going faster, hey need to move ...and they don't. who follows speed limit these days? yea on small roads and residential its different story i go slow follow speed limit, but on the highway where sped limit is 65, everyone goes 70up

Mike, awesome thread. Is there a way to rep you? Or maybe rate this thread. You got 5 stars from me...

^ Excellent post. I agree completely.

SPEAKING TO ALL SLOW LEFT-LANE-CAMPERS, get the F#@k out of the left lane. STAY RIGHT. It doesn't matter if you are cruising at the speed limit or near speed limit. Even if you are going at 90 mph on a 55 Zone and you are holding up cars behind you you need to move the f#@k over to the right lane. Even if you are traveling at 110mph on a 55 zone and there's a car behind you approaching at 140 mph YOU MOVE THE HELL OVER TO THE RIGHT LANE. You block traffic in the left lane you are:

- f#@king up the traffic flow
- wear out the brakes
- waste more gas
- increasing the chance of getting accidents
- increasing the chance of road rage

I also noticed MOST motorcyclists block traffic, even more so than the other Left-lane campers on 4 wheels.. I get so irritated when the motorcyclist go slow in the left lane. I feel like I wanna run them off the road. There were incidents where I tried to get around the motorcyclist on the highway and this idiot speed up! so I can't pass it. I get back behind him and he slows down again and blocking traffic. I put it in POWER mode and FLOOR the gas, instant acceleration from 65 to 120+ mph. Yup, he sped up shortly after but was too late.. I was going faster by about 15 mph. I then cut in front of him without giving a signal light (btw, I NEVER, EVER, NEVER, give signal lights to Left-Lane Campers). He then tries to keep speeding up and try to pass me but I do everything I can to block him. I even swerve to other lanes so he can't get in front of me. This happened a couple of times in the past. This is called road rage, son. You don't own the f#@king road and you are not a president of the United States. Obey the traffic law by keeping on right lane unless you need to pass somebody in the middle or outside lane..

All 50 states need to enforce this law - KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT FOR PASSING.
Cops need issue the tickets for these people. $200~300 ticket and increase insurance rates.

God, I love this thread.
Old 07-23-09, 08:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.

On a 2 lane, often with a ton of semi’s I have no choice but to stay in the left hand lane most of the time even if I am only going 5 over.

I will get over if I see someone behind me wanting to go faster, but this is what ticks me off.

The thing that pisses me off about the oh so bad *** faster drivers is, I will move over and where they once wanted to speed by, they get past me, pull in front of me then SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The second issue is when driving on the two lanes, I will move to the right to let the other person pass and they will hover next to me or take 5 miles to pass, by then I have caught up to the next semi and have to slow down 10mph, knock off cruise control and wait to pull my *** over into the left hand lane again and repeat just to get behind the same guy that was riding my *** because he wanted to go so much faster.

For every left lane slow driver you have a left lane pass that does this same crap and messes up the flow. If you want to pass, drive in the left lane and drive faster then when I get over, ******* pass me quickly and keep moving!!!!!!!!
it's still all about education
Old 07-23-09, 09:40 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I was in the left lane the other day when this middle aged fella moved in to the lane (in front of me) and then slowed down to 60 MPH. Why move over? So I angrily passed (3rd gear and pedal to the floor) him on the right. Gonna cruise slowly, that's what the right lane is for.

Old 07-23-09, 01:37 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMHO, it's not that confusing. Signage here usually says "Slower Traffic Keep Right", pretty straighforward.
I noticed that most people interpret that as anyone NOT going the speed limit (as fast as they are) then keep right.
Old 07-23-09, 01:57 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by J.P.

This past July 4th heading back from NorCal on I5. I saw the most ridiculous driving behavior... This guy in a civic was following another car. The 2 didn't move right so I had to pass on the right. I decided to show my passengers how some people mindlessly camp on the left lane but will speed up if you try to pass them. So I come up along side the civic then I tap my gas. The guy in the civic taps his gas too, you can see the car lurch forward. I do it again, he taps his gas again too. I tap my gas 2 more times and he does it too, WTH??!! All the while, he's oblivious to me and keeps closing in on the car in front. He was less than a car length from the car in front when I stopped the demo and continue on my way.
Old 07-23-09, 02:00 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

LOL +1.....

Those who pass you and move over to your lane and going slower than you have no sense... Use your common sense!!! if someone you are passing is traveling at 65 you need to maintain speed at least 65 or more, maybe 67 or 68 as long as you have plenty room between you and the car front of you, or if the traffic ahead is clear. Going below 60 in this case, you are not being cool cause now you are blocking Right Lane traffic. It's not as bad as a Left-Lane-Camper but you should still maintain good driving courtesy everywhere you drive.

Those who hover next to you in the left lane and takes them 5 miles to pass you are considered a LEFT-LANE-CAMPER. That driver is:

a). Not paying attention driving or,
b). Have absolutely no common sense... or,
c). Playing with you.. or,
d). Truly stupid.

The fact that you don't pay attention driving makes you a bad driver. It all boils down to "attitude". My driving school teacher when I was in the high school told me the most important part of the driving is the "attitude". Left Lane Campers need to go back to driving school... get more education.

Rule #1: Take driving seriously - "Attitude driving"
Rule #2: Get more education lol...
Rule #3: Use your common sense.

I ran into quite a few women (mid 30's~ 50's) who were in front of me slowed down for the orange light, then made a full stop and a sec or two after the light turned red they TAKE OFF, completely crossing the intersection. Is this a bad attitude driving or is her brain malfunctioning? This happens to me a lot in my area. I'm not gonna get much into this as this topic is not about crossing the red lights at the intersection... but anyways... something to point out.

lol
I counted on the way down to kentucky that it was like 8 to 1 with the 8 being those that I should have not moved for because all they did was F me.

The 1 would be the people that smoked past me.

The thing that pisses me off is those 8 will ride my *** like I am going slow (75 while towing), and I know what its like so I move and I get F'd everytime. Maybe some of those left lane campers are tired of the retards screwing them over.

How much gas and brakes did I waste because I moved for someone that wanted to pass me, that only ended up sticking me behind a semi!

If your going to pass, hit the god damn gas and move the F on it, then I feel like my energy for moving was worth it because I do not want to hold anyone up.
Old 07-23-09, 02:03 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ntran18
This past July 4th heading back from NorCal on I5. I saw the most ridiculous driving behavior... This guy in a civic was following another car. The 2 didn't move right so I had to pass on the right. I decided to show my passengers how some people mindlessly camp on the left lane but will speed up if you try to pass them. So I come up along side the civic then I tap my gas. The guy in the civic taps his gas too, you can see the car lurch forward. I do it again, he taps his gas again too. I tap my gas 2 more times and he does it too, WTH??!! All the while, he's oblivious to me and keeps closing in on the car in front. He was less than a car length from the car in front when I stopped the demo and continue on my way.
oh man do not even get me going on those people, happens to me all the time on 94

its a bit easier on a 3 lane, but when they pull that shat on a 2 lane with semi's I want to kill them
Old 07-23-09, 02:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

IMHO, it's not that confusing. Signage here usually says "Slower Traffic Keep Right", pretty straighforward.

Originally Posted by ntran18
I noticed that most people interpret that as anyone NOT going the speed limit (as fast as they are) then keep right.
But, see, that's where the problem, and the confusion, comes in. (I'll jump back into the thread long enough to make one point).

Most of the state laws (and customs) are contradictory on the subject. Many states DO require (or encourage) slower traffic to move right, but at the same time, stress that the left lane is for those going the limit, not over.

ntran18 is correct....the left lane is not for speeding. Legally, it is for those doing the limit (or reasonably close to it).

So, it's obvious where the problem comes from.......the large number of people in the left lane who doing way over the limit. Legally, they are in the wrong, but practically speaking, so many people do it that the legal speed limits in the left lane are virtually unenforceable. So in all practical circumstances, despite the varying state laws on the subject, the left lane DOES end up being the speeders' lane. The speeding is technically illegal, but, in reality, is pretty much a fact of life, and par for the course.

So, to put it in plain and simple English, the left lane, legally or not, has become, in effect, the speeders' lane. The speed limits, like the no-cell-phone-use-laws, are so widely broken that they have become, in effect, unenforceable, and speeding and cell-phone-use is a fact of life.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-23-09 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-23-09, 02:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes, it's a fact of life so just accept it. and whether others are speeding or not it shouldn't be your or my matters. to me if the cars behind me is faster than me, then i move right. if he gets pulled over, sucks to be him. if he doesn't, i am not going to cry about it

in that sense, whether it's at legal speed or not isn't part of the equation anymore
Old 07-23-09, 02:49 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree this is very straight forward. More recently I've seen the below signage that, to me, is even clearer.

"Keep Right Except to Pass"
Old 07-23-09, 03:40 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
yes, it's a fact of life so just accept it. and whether others are speeding or not it shouldn't be your or my matters. to me if the cars behind me is faster than me, then i move right. if he gets pulled over, sucks to be him. if he doesn't, i am not going to cry about it

in that sense, whether it's at legal speed or not isn't part of the equation anymore
But when its my life it is MY matter.

I am not anti speeding, but we have a ton of idiots on the road.

Its everyone problem when I am going down southfield fwy and someone is doing 90 and cuts over 1 second too late and smokes the corner of someones car that WAS doing the speed limit and flips them over.

I move over when someone wants to go faster, that is fine, but it does not mean it's ok to roll 90 in a 70 either unless you can put it in writing you will only hurt yourself...........

Speaking of, we just had an idiot doing 70 in a 50 in Michigan, hit a tanker, blew it the F up and did $2 million in damage to a bridge.......

Quick Reply: Some states cracking down on left-lane slowpokes