Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pedestrian hit by a drag racing M3

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 12:56 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pedestrian hit by a drag racing M3

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f4d_1248219900

This is why racing on the streets is very dangerous.

warning, some might find this video disturbing.
Old 07-22-09, 01:05 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember seeing a lil kid get hit by a van going 45mph & thinking that the kid would explode on impact. The van kept on going but I got his plate#. To my surprise the kid got up & hop over to the curb. The kid did run out into the street without looking.
Old 07-22-09, 01:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by f=ma
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f4d_1248219900

This is why racing on the streets is very dangerous.
It's even MORE dangerous at night, like in this video, with reduced visibility.

warning, some might find this video disturbing.
Disturbing indeed, but MORE disturbing is the fact that people continue to street-race, even after seeing scenes like this. Some even brag about it on CL.

That pedestrian probably didn't check the road well enough before crossing, but that is no excuse for the speeding driver that hit him.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-22-09 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-22-09, 01:16 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is horrible. Did the pedestrian survive? My Romanian is a little rusty.
Old 07-22-09, 01:20 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pedestrians need to be more careful. Especially jaywalking at night. Cars usually have 20-40x your mass.

Do not know what the speed limit is on that road, but racing at 120km/h on city streets is stupid as hell.

I think in BC, if the driver is driving at the speed limit and has the green light. The driver wouldn't be at fault because the pedestrian is jaywalking.
Old 07-22-09, 01:21 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On M3forum.net there are not allowed to post anything about racing unless it's on a track. And the mods are super serious about cracking down on that kind of thing.
Old 07-22-09, 01:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
On M3forum.net there are not allowed to post anything about racing unless it's on a track. And the mods are super serious about cracking down on that kind of thing.
Yeah cause it seems every week there is a thread of one racing on the street and someone gets hurt or killed and its usually some young person. I'd stop the vids too.

Old 07-22-09, 01:27 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Disturbing indeed, but MORE disturbing is the fact that people continue to street-race, even after seeing scenes like this. Some even brag about it on CL.

That pedestrian probably didn't check the road well enough before crossing, but that is no excuse for the speeding driver that hit him.
I think the pedestrian is even running a red. But why STREET race? take it where there aren't any cars or people if you HAVE to race... if you can, bring it to a track, that's what it's for.

I can't say I haven't raced, but I've had a near miss once during my first year of driving and that's the last time I ever race with any chance of collision, happily, I've yet to have a accident with my fault. *Knock knock*
Old 07-22-09, 01:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
Pedestrians need to be more careful. Especially jaywalking at night. Cars usually have 20-40x your mass.

Do not know what the speed limit is on that road, but racing at 120km/h on city streets is stupid as hell.

I think in BC, if the driver is driving at the speed limit and has the green light. The driver wouldn't be at fault because the pedestrian is jaywalking.
Yes, sensible street driving and a grossly inattentive pedestrian might have set up a different scenario, where the driver may not be legally at fault, but even so, at typical urban speed limits, the driver probably would have had time to slow down or stop. And, believe me, M3 brakes can STOP.
Old 07-22-09, 02:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Yes, it's even MORE dangerous in crosswalks where peds often walk.

Exhibit A video.
Old 07-22-09, 02:46 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Eventhough the pedestrian is jaywalking, he's probably crossing thinking that cars are obeying traffic laws and not expecting cars racing on public streets.

I have no sympathy for people who choose to race on public roads and they should face the consequences of their actions.
Old 07-22-09, 02:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
Maybe they have nothing better to do, the vid here doesn't seem to promote or condone racing, but it certainly highlights the dangerous consequences.
Old 07-22-09, 03:00 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, if you look closer you can see pedestrian getting in betwen the two cars and after a second of hesitating he tries to make a run for it. By the way, a lot of people who are just tired of living throw themselves if front of cars. Very common in eastern europe
Old 07-22-09, 03:07 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I regret to inform you that you are in fact incorrect. In BC, EVERYTHING is the drivers fault (and I do mean everything), the only thing that superceeds the pedestrian here is public transit (Translink) busses.
Old 07-22-09, 03:31 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

But this was illegal street racing.... This whole terrible mess would have been avoided had they just slowed down. Save the racing for a racing environment aka track, private roads wtc...

btw go nucks....

Quick Reply: Pedestrian hit by a drag racing M3