Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford operating loss beats target, revenue falls $11 billion

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 08:33 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Ford operating loss beats target, revenue falls $11 billion

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Ford Motor Co. shares jumped 10% Thursday after the automaker said it swung to a surprise second-quarter profit on the back of a lighter debt load, market-share gains and vastly improved cash flow.

Ford /quotes/comstock/13*!f/quotes/nls/f (F 7.00, +0.62, +9.75%) stock was up 64 cents at $7.02 in early trades and has risen more than 200% since the beginning of the year even as the company's top two domestic competitors both made their way through bankruptcy court.

Ford has benefited in the court of public opinion this year as the only one of the Detroit Three to avoid hitting up the government for financial lifelines.

The company also secured the necessary loans by mortgaging its assets to overhaul its business in 2006 before the bottom fell out of the U.S. car market, which left General Motors Co. and Chrysler running out of cash and on the brink of liquidation.

For the second quarter, the Dearborn, Mich.-based vehicle manufacturer said it earned $2.3 billion, or 69 cents a share, vs. a loss of $8.7 billion, or $3.89 a share in the year-ago period.

The latest period included a one-time gain of $3.4 billion related to Ford and Ford Credit's debt reduction moves.

On an after-tax basis, excluding special items, Ford posted a second-quarter operating loss of $638 million, or 21 cents a share compared with a loss of $1.4 billion, or 63 cents a share a year ago.

Revenue fell by $11 billion to $27.2 billion.

Analysts had expected a loss, on average, of 49 cents a share with revenue of $24.8 billion, according to a survey by FactSet Research.

KDP Advisor credit analyst Kip Penniman said the results topped his target and that he expects to increase his earnings estimates.

"We continue to be impressed with CEO Mulally's aggressive efforts to restructure Ford and drive product improvements," he said.

Ford said it remains on track, based on current planning assumptions, to recover from last year's record loss of $14.7 billion and achieve profitability in 2011.

As part of its transformation, Ford is focusing on smaller cars while moving away from some of the bigger trucks and SUVs that brought in big profits years ago.

"While the business environment remained extremely challenging around the world, we made significant progress on our transformation plan," CEO Alan Mulally said. "Our underlying business is growing progressively stronger as we introduce great new products that customers want and value, while continuing to aggressively restructure our business and strengthen our balance sheet."

Ford's vehicles sales in the key U.S. market fared much better than the competition in June but were still down 10.9% to 155,195 cars and trucks. GM sales fell 33% and Chrysler dropped 42% during the same month.

Ford was able to cut its cash burn rate to $1 billion during the quarter, down from the $3.7 billion it burned through in the first quarter and leaving its automotive cash pile at $21 billion.
source: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/for...3?siteid=yhoof

People !! Those of you that have the means to invest do so while its cheep ford is the future of Domestic cars!! I was luck enough to throw in a few k when they where in the 2 dollar range now they are in the 7 dollar range.
Old 07-23-09, 09:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

damn actually had a profit this quarter
Old 07-23-09, 09:42 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

good job Ford!!!

they deserve a praise while GM and Chrysler deserves a spanking...
Old 07-23-09, 05:14 PM
LexFather

Great job Ford....

Old 07-23-09, 06:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ford's getting it done. CFO needs to slow that cash burn though.
Old 07-23-09, 07:33 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well deserved success!

There have been many of us on CL that have praised the efforts of Ford and this is the proof that they are succeeding.
Old 07-23-09, 07:33 PM
Trexus

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Very good job Ford and you have my utmost respect for not getting a handout from the Government and for not filing for bankruptcy...Keep up the good work...be sure to work really really hard to capture GM's and Chyrsler's market share...
Old 07-23-09, 08:08 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well done Mullally and Co.
Old 07-23-09, 08:19 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

While not at the 2 dollar range, I did buy some shares for 3.72. I'm happy. I used the money I had saved for a car to buy stock intead. Lucky move. All of my friends thought I lost my mind when I bought it. Go ford!
Old 07-23-09, 08:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Ford profits $2.3 Billion in the Second Quarter of 2009

Wonder of Wonders.......Ford managed to be $2.3 Billion in the black for the second quarter 2009, though it was not directly from auto sales but through debt reduction. And, unlike GM or Chrysler, they did it without government/bailout money, partial sale to foreign manufacturer, a big chunk of UAW ownership, and, of course, without a bankrupcy restructuring.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...q2-profit.html

http://www.bostonherald.com/business...&position=also
Old 07-23-09, 09:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I just started a new thread for the 2.3B second-quarter profit, but I see it may (?) be a repost.
Old 07-23-09, 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Oops.....might (?) be a repost. Mods...you can combine this with the other Ford economic thread if you want.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...1-billion.html
Old 07-23-09, 09:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
source: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/for...3?siteid=yhoof

people !! Those of you that have the means to invest do so while its cheep ford is the future of domestic cars!! I was luck enough to throw in a few k when they where in the 2 dollar range now they are in the 7 dollar range.
it's the only stock option privately owned domestic car.
Old 07-24-09, 05:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

this just shows the power, flexibility, and adaptability of private industry vs. govt industry. You wont see GM/Chrysler profittable for some time if ever. Amtrak (govt owned) hasn't made a profit in 40 years despite it being a monopoly. Post Office lost a huge amount of money despite it being a monopoly too
Old 07-24-09, 06:05 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

It's working in the showroom, service bays, and now in the board room... they have some hedged bets, but they're paying off right now and they've reallocated their cash reserves...

I'm buying the Shelby, maybe a Flex with Ecoboost as well!!

WELL DONE FORD!!!

Last edited by rdgdawg; 07-24-09 at 07:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Ford operating loss beats target, revenue falls $11 billion