Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi prices R8 V10 at less than $150,000

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 06:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
No, I agree.

But don't tell me that GTR isn't doesn't give you that feedback, the thrill, responsive steering on the track that other cars do. Just tell me that GTR isn't for you and I'll respect it.

Only thing that bothers me is that people claiming how the GTR offers no satisfaction while on the track.
funny, i never said that, ever. i never doubt the performance of gtr on the track (feel free to search my posts from before). stop making stupid assumptions of what i think or say. where i got my information is none of your business, just like how your experience doesn't mean much to me neither.

all along i have said people buy these cars according to class and a lot of times they don't fall into the same class. where you got your assumption that's beyond me and very funny

what bothers me is your borderline sarcastic comments against other members
Old 07-28-09, 06:36 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I agree.

But don't tell me that GTR isn't doesn't give you that feedback, the thrill, responsive steering on the track that other cars do. Just tell me that GTR isn't for you and I'll respect it.

Only thing that bothers me is that people claiming how the GTR offers no satisfaction while on the track.
I think you are fighting a different argument.
Old 07-28-09, 08:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Please forgive me when I say this as I am absolutely not trying to come across as a *****, but those words are what someone who could not afford any of those cars. Ask anybody with the means to buy a car in the mid $100K to over $200K and see if they care about $50K in their pocket when buying a car that has prestige ,luxury, driving experience, performance and just plain all around wow factor...which the GTR does not have apart from performance.
Dave is right. If performance and value for the dollar was everything we all would drive EVOs. I can count the number of times the GT-R is mentioned on Ferrari Chat. It simply doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by biggie27
totally agree with u....i never cross shopped with the GTR when i got my car, the cars i looked at were 911 turbo, f430, and mansory amv8
Exactly
Originally Posted by The G Man
Surely you are not comparing a Nissan to an Audi.
What is this about? He is right the GT-R will spank a R8 for 1/2 the price. Yes, the lowly Nissan. Badge hound? Until the R8 came Audi had nothing to keep up with the R34, R33 and R32 GT-Rs.

The GT-R was THE FIRST PRODUCTION CAR TO LAP THE RING IN UNDER 8 MINUTES.

How?

Just because of the price tag? If you let your ego drive you, you are bound to be doomed.

These cars are built for optimum performance, and in that class GTR out performs R8.
We are not here to decide why people buy these cars. What we do know is Ego is a part of ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL buying purchases and if someone wants to pick a slower exotic over a GT-R they have every damn right to do so.

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I8ABMR,

Dave's right. I don't know any Ferrari owner who would even consider buying a GT-R instead, regardless of the performance numbers. Driving experience and prestige cannot be quantified in numbers. I suspect that you won't fully understand until you've driven both.
Exactly. The GT-R is a magazine darling. Its performance is amazing. I love it and respect it. However that is not the only reason people buy these cars!! If anything they have a Ferrari, a Lambo, a Porsche, a NSX and maybe a GT-R. The odd thing is I have yet to see any pics of owners posting their GT-Rs.
Please be my guest, stop with these foolish remarks and do not waste your own, mine or anyone's time with these baseless statements.

Point is not that I have or had these cars, point is I am speaking from experience, where you most likely came to your conclusions from reading whole lot of BS online.
If you cannot respond in a manner where you can have a debate without breaking rules and insulting people you will be asked to leave this thread.

Post pics of the cars. Dave has posted his cars. Post yours.

Old 07-29-09, 06:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

To make the point I am trying to get thru, lets take this topic to the extreme. Some 18 year old kid pull up at a red light with his 500hp sup up ricer, a 45 year old man in a $1000 suit pull up next to him in a Ferrari. The kid rev up his engine, the older man gives him the thumbs up. The light turns green, the kid speed off and the older man slowly accelarate to 35 MPH. Sometime, just the look of the car will wins a race, it doesnt matter how fast you go.
Old 07-30-09, 01:48 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

people who buys Ferrari's for image are not enthusiasts . You buy a luxury car for image. The enthusiasts wants pure performance, thats why ALL of the magazines in the world have declared this car to be almost totally unmatched in performance . The GTR has my vote.

To each his own. I know the GTR tends to split the group.
Old 07-30-09, 03:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
To make the point I am trying to get thru, lets take this topic to the extreme. Some 18 year old kid pull up at a red light with his 500hp sup up ricer, a 45 year old man in a $1000 suit pull up next to him in a Ferrari. The kid rev up his engine, the older man gives him the thumbs up. The light turns green, the kid speed off and the older man slowly accelarate to 35 MPH. Sometime, just the look of the car will wins a race, it doesnt matter how fast you go.
I do not disagree at all.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
people who buys Ferrari's for image are not enthusiasts . You buy a luxury car for image. The enthusiasts wants pure performance, thats why ALL of the magazines in the world have declared this car to be almost totally unmatched in performance . The GTR has my vote.

To each his own. I know the GTR tends to split the group.
GT-R is cool, I love it, it does have heritage.
A Ferrari is in another realm. Its racing history, their stories and their tech is beyond incredible.

Ferrari's are built by people who feel there is no competition. Every new debut it seems to extend that point.

Old 07-30-09, 07:46 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

You buy a luxury car for image.
Last time I checked, I believe I bought a luxury car b/c it was confortable and the amenities it provided. You seem to paint a picture with a very broad stroke. If I wanted a car for image I would have gotten something else... And I know a lot of other people who are in the same boat.

Why do you continue to assume that enthusiasts are only interested in performance? B/c you are? I can't believe we are probabley about the same age.

Best I can sum it up is it is like writing a MONTBLANC and a Parker pen, sure they both do the same thing are are great pens, but there is just something about the MONTBLANC that a parker will never have. And if you can't understand that , then this conversation is pointless.
Old 07-30-09, 09:56 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i like the GTR

i like the ferrari

and i know there are so many more intangibles that come with the ferrari and its price
Old 07-30-09, 11:29 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How?

Just because of the price tag? If you let your ego drive you, you are bound to be doomed.

These cars are built for optimum performance, and in that class GTR out performs R8.
You don't know anything about the R8 if you think it is designed for Optimum performance.
Old 07-30-09, 12:44 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
That's a bargain compared to the LF-A then ? V10 & mid-engine, and I think I like the exterior design of the R8 more from what I've seen so far ......
In general, I love the R8. I definitely wouldn't mind owning one and I think 150k for the V10 is a great deal. But GOSH I still hate those side panels! We still don't know exactly what the LFA is going to look like, but I doubt I'll like the R8 exterior better.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the lf-a may end up with more gadgets and probably more performance and handling with all the CF, but for a bunch more money, and NO track record (no pun intended about the ring ). but the lf-a isn't AWD is it?
No, and that's a GOOD thing!

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Don't confuse getting bang for your buck and wanting a car no matter how expensive at a reduced rate. Just b/c people are willing to buy a $200K car and lets say they can afford a $500K car does not mean that those people don't want dollars taken off the price even when they can afford it (Most people I know who are wealthy have got that way by being very smart when they buy and sell things). You are confusing the issue here I think.
I rarely disagree with Dave or the idea he's getting at here, but I feel inclined to at least somewhat disagree. I think when people are getting "stupid" enough to buy a $200k+ car, any thoughts on value at least partially go out the window.

people who buys Ferrari's for image are not enthusiasts .
Most people buy a Ferrari for image. Just ask any Ferrari salesman. The enthusiasts are the vast minority, which is one reason I'm turned off from buying one.

Last edited by gengar; 07-30-09 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 04:42 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
I rarely disagree with Dave or the idea he's getting at here, but I feel inclined to at least somewhat disagree. I think when people are getting "stupid" enough to buy a $200k+ car, any thoughts on value at least partially go out the window.
I know exactly what you are saying, but I may not have come accross the way I wanted to. I was not talking about value, I was talking more so about the wealthy getting a discount b/c they can. (obviously some people don't even care about that either) I agree value for money is irrelevant when looking at cars over $200k, and that is why most people who can afford them won't choose a best bang for your buck car.