Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Volvo XC90

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Volvo XC90

By CL member request, a Review of the 2009 Volvo XC90.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/models/x...s/default.aspx

In a Nutshell: Solid, comfortable, and safe, but stuck, unfairly, with a Prissy, schoolteacher image.

I know I'm a little backed up on car reviews lately, but most of the recent CL requests have been for new 2010 models that have not yet arrived at local shops here in the D.C. area, and, of course, I have not been able to see them. A number of these requests, like the new 2010 Ford Taurus, Lexus HS250, BMW 550i/750i, Buick LaCrosse, and Ford Flex Ecoboost, will probably be released in the next 1-2 months....I should have a number of review chances by then.

In the meantime, I have a special request for the 2009/2010) Volvo XC-90 V8 R-Design. R-Design and 4.4L V8 models have been difficult to find here in the D.C. area, even though we are the country's second-largest new-car market behind Southern California. A local Volvo shop here did have one V8 R-Design model in stock. I asked if it was available for a review, and they said sure. When I got there, they did allow me a complete static review inside and out. But, because that particular vehicle was the personal transportation of the dealership's GM, and was (probably) the only one in the area, they did not allow a test-drive. They did, however, offer me a test-drive of any of the other XC-90s in stock (they didn't have any other V8s), so I chose a black, in-line 6 model for the test-drive. My general comments, here in the review, are mostly based on the V8 R-Design model, but the "On THE ROAD" test-drive part is mostly about the in-line 6 and lower-line suspension/tires.

Volvo introduced the XC90 in 2005 as a fairly large, safety/family-oriented SUV. It offered either FWD or Volvo's noted Haldex AWD system. The XC-90, true to Volvo's strong emphasis on safety, also introduced a novel Roll Stability Control system that not only monitored the vehicle's steering input and understeer/oversteer like a typical stability system, but added sensors that detect and correct for excessive body roll as well. This is important, as rollover accidents are one of the main causes of injuries/deaths in high-center-of-gravity SUVs. Ford, being Volvo's owner, has since used the Roll-Control System on some of its own SUVs, making them potentially safer as well. Unfortunately, the XC90's reliability record, according to Consumer Reports, has not been particularly good, wavering back and forth between average and worse-than-average. The latest data now shows an average rating, but it is clear that reliability is not one of the XC90's strong suits. Its strong emphasis on safety made it popular with many schoolteachers and college professors, and, of course, soccer moms, so the XC90, to an extent, is stuck with a staid, stodgy, schoolmarm image (I say this only as a factual review comment, because I myself don't agree with the "image" stuff in auto buying, but much of the public, unfortunately, does).

For 2009, the XC90, in the American market, comes in four versions: 3.2, 3.2 R-Design, V8, and V8 R-Design. 3.2 Models have an in-line 3.2L, 235 HP straight-six (straight-six designs are becoming harder to find nowadays, especially in a transverse layout), and V8 models a Yamaha-built 4.4L, 311 HP V8. All versions come with a Sport-Shift 6-speed automatic transmission. AWD is standard on V8 models and is a $1850 option on the 6. The unofficial (?) word from the Volvo people is that the V8 will be dropped from the 2010 model when it debuts this fall, as sales of the current V8 model are not that good, and most dealers don't keep them in stock.

Since the V8 R-Design model, after the static review, couldn't go off the lot, I chose a black V6 AWD model for the actual test-drive. Though not as lavishly-equipped as the R-Design V8, I found the in-line 6 model quite pleasant on the road, but, of course, not without its quirks. Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R-Design

Base Price: $47,550

Options:

Electric Silver Metallic Paint: $675

Sirius Radio: $530

Park Assist: $685

Portable NAV: $890

Destination/Freight: $825 (a little above average freight charge)

List Price as Reviewed: $51,155 (for in-line 6 model test-driven, $44,895)

Drivetrain: AWD, Transverse-mounted-mounted 4.4L V8, 311 HP @ 5850 RPM, Torque 325 Ft-lbs @ 3900 RPM,
(3.2L, in-line 6 engine test-driven: 235 HP @ 6200 RPM, Torque 236 Ft-lbs. @ 3200 RPM)
6-speed Geartronic automatic transmission.

EPA Mileage Rating:

(V8) 13 City, 19 Highway

(in-line-6) 14 City, 20 Highway.

Exterior Color: Electric Silver Metallic

Interior: Off-White (Calcite) R-spec striped leather.

PLUSSES:

Many traditional Volvo safety features.

ULEV-II Emissions classification.

EPA truck classification exempts the Federal Gas-Guzzler Tax, despite poor mileage.

Smooth in-line 6 engine.

Smooth, responsive 6-speed automatic (not quite as smooth while warming up).

Good wind noise isolation.

Smooth, effective brakes.

Fairly good ride comfort overall (with base tires/suspension).

Reasonably good handling for an SUV.

Solid body sheet metal (except for hood).

Solid-closing doors, hatch, and tailgate.

Nice hood struts instead of a prop-rod.

Excellent paint job.

Excellent, useful body cladding.

Mirror-mounted turn signals.

Nice, convienent step-in/out height, for most people, needs no running boards.

Good, no-nonsense visibility out the rear.

Split, rear-clamshell tailgate/hatch.

Roomy, exteremely well-finished cargo area.

Climate vents for 3rd-row seat ocupants.

Attractive-looking R-spec two-tone/striped-seat interior.

Superb polished-wood steering wheel in both 6 and V8 versions.

Adjustable second-row seats help leg/foot room.

Nice fabric headliner/sun visors.

Nice fore-aft shifter motion has no zig-zags.

Excellent headroom in both front/rear, good even in 3rd-row seat.

Tank-solid 3rd-row seat and folding hardware.

Well-done, high-quality interior trim/hardware.

Solid, well-designed, relatively simple climate controls.

Very solid-feeling buttons/*****/stalks.

Simple, well-designed gauges.

Killer stereo.

MINUSES:

Reliablity, per Consumer Reports, has improved to average, but is still questionable.

Atrocius gas mileage, by modern standards, for both engines.

Unfairly stuck with a Prissy, Granny image.

Upper-trim levels, with options, rather pricey.

V8 models (apparantly) dropped for 2010.

Free maintenance only applies to 2009 models.

In-line 6 engine not a powerhouse.

A little more more exhaust noise than necessary.

Relatively poor underhood layout.

Some road/tire noise on coarse surfaces.

OK steering response, but numb steering feel.

Very poorly-located brake and gas pedals for big, wide feet.

Only 5 exterior colors for the V8 R version.

Typical European-vehicle extra-charge for metallic colors ($525) a rip-off.

Very lightweight, somewhat flimsy hood (appears to be plastic).

Fix-a-Flat bottle instead of a spare.

Typical Euro-Car rough, grainy leather.

Dated ignition switch.

Unpadded armrests on the door panels.

EXTERIOR:

No surprises, as you first walk up to the XC90. It still has the same, Volvo-esque design outside and the standard family grille, headlights, and high, D-pillar-mounted taillights that several of its brothers and sisters do. In fact, it's even hard to tell the R-Design models from the standard ones outside, as the differences lie mostly in the two-tone, striped R-Design interior. Most of the body sheet metal, as expected from a Volvo, is strong and solid, although the hood is inexplicably light and flimsy-feeling...it appears to be made of either plastic or a very light aluminum (I couldn't tell which). The doors all close solidly...the upper hatch in back as solidly as a tank. The Electric Silver paint job on the R-Design I looked at was virtually flawless, though it cost a healthy $675 extra, like on most European-nameplate vehicles. The Black paint on the 6 I drove was pretty good, but, like many solid-black paint jobs I've seen lately from various manufacturers, had some slight orange peel. The number of paint colors offered depend on the specific XC90 model, but none of them, IMO, are particularly striking.

The XC90 sits upright at a pretty nice level for getting in and out without use of or need of running boards. It is high enough off the ground, of course, for deep snow or mild off-roading, but not high enough that shorter people would have a real problem getting in and out. A nice, fairly wide black belt of lower-body and wheel-well cladding surrounds the entire vehicle, helping to prevent paint damage from gravel (this is something I'd like to see on all new vehicles). A thick body moulding on each side helps ward off parking-lot dings. In the Volvo safety tradition, turn-signal indicators are built into the side mirrors. The mirrors themselves are OK but not particularly large, and the plastic used for the housings, likewise, is OK but could be a little more substantial-feeling. The high, D-pillar-mounted taillights, as on other Volvos, IMO, look a little awkward, but Volvo claims that this helps safety by reducing the number of rear-ender accidents.

UNDERHOOD:

Not one of the better points. I've already described the rather lightweight, plasticky-feeling hood, though this may (?) have been done for safety reasons, as a lightweight hood probably can't come back through the windshield as easily in an accident. But that's just a guess on my part. Nice gas struts hold the hood up, instead of a prop rod.....struts, of course, are expected in a vehicle of this class. The hood has a nice insulation pad underneath (also expected in this class) to absorb engine noise.

The rest of the underhood layout, though, with both the six and the V8, is not impressive. Both engines are stuffed in rather tightly (the V8 slightly more than the six), have big plastic engine covers that hide most of their upper components, and smaller covers on the sides that hide things such as the battery and underhood computers. Not many things around the sides of the engine can be easily reached either. The dipsticks (yes, unlike BMW and
Mercedes, Volvo still allows you to check your own oil), reservoirs, and filler caps are generally easy to reach, although the rectangular oil dipstick is rather strange-looking, and not painted the usual orange color but red.

INTERIOR:

I general, superbly designed, in both the standard and R-Design modes. I found almost nothing to complain about inside. First, as I mentioned earlier, just getting in and out is easy, as the seats are at an ideal height for many people. The steering wheel, in both versions (though an option on some models), was an exquisitely-smoothed/polished, rich-looking real wood (no fake stuff), and the wood was on both the top and bottom of the wheel, not just the top like in some luxury vehicles. The wood trim on the dash, likewise, was well-done, as the light-gray metallic trim on the door handles and elsewhere inside....no cheap-looking painted-silver plastic here. The shifter, on the console, had a nice fore/aft motion instead of annoying ziz-zags, and, of course, a manual-shift gate (no steering-wheel paddles)....more on the transmission below. The non-NAV six model I drove had delightfully, simple, SOLID, easy-to-use climate and stereo *****/buttons......a real joy, especially in a car of this class, in this age of overly-complex and hard-to-use electronic digital and computerized controls. Perhaps (?) again, that may be Volvo's view of safety.....easy-to-use, straightforward controls means more time for eyes to be on the road while driving, where they belong. If so, I agree.

The headliner and sun visors are both of a nice soft-fabric material. Solid hand-grips are built into the A-Pillars. Visibility out the rear is excellent, which, of course, also contributes to safety. The stereo is a real killer.....very close to the Lexus Mark Levinson units (I departed from my usual Heavy Metal/Hard Rock stuff, today, and put on the Godfather of Soul, James Brown, with some of his hollering and screaming in "I Feel Good" and "Cold Sweat". The primary gauges (to borrow a phrase from GEICO) are clear, cave-man simple, and easy-to-read. The interior hardware is all first-rate. There is plenty of headroom, front and back, for even tall adults, even with the sunfoof housing. Legroom, up front, is fine, and, depending on how you have the adjustable rear seats positioned (they slide back and forth), good in the rear also. The rear seats, along with the third-row seats, fold down for added cargo space. There are climate vents and cupholders for both second-row AND third-row occupants. The front seats in the R-Design model, IMO, looked a little more attractive than in the regular models....the R-Design includes two/tone door panels, contrasting-color seat striping, and sharper cushion bolsters for side support. One of the few things inside I wasn't impressed with was, in both the regular and R-Design versions, the rough, grainy leather on the seats. This seems to be a given nowadays with some auto manufacturers, especialy from Europe, as they seem to have virtually given up on soft, smooth-feeling, plush leather on all but extremely high-priced vehicles like the Mercedes AMG's and Audi RS's. I also didn't like the gas/brake pedal placement.......more on that below.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Very impressive. The upper hatch is rock solid, opens and latches with authority, and the lower part, clamshell-style, drops down, equally solidly, into a small tailgate. Inside, the cargo area is extremely well-finished, with a nice grade of plush-feeling carpeting covering all of the cargo floor and most of the side walls. Though it doesn't have Suburban or Expedition-like room in back, the rather high, conservative roofline and rear-window help a lot with space efficiency. The third-row seat has plenty of headroom (by third-row seat standards), and the rather tight legroom is helped by the adjustable second-row seats. It is still a little tight in the third seat for adults, but not as bad as in some competitiors. The third-row seat hardware and folding mechanism is tank-solid and durable, and the seat itself folds, in a split manner, flat on the floor to expand cargo space. The only thing I found cheapish in the cargo area was what appeared to be a Fix-a-Flat bottle of compressed air, rather than a temporary, or (better yet) a real spare tire.

ON THE ROAD:

These comments, of course, apply to only the six-cylinder version, as I was unable to drive the V8. Start the in-line six up (an engine design that is smooth by nature) with an old-fashioned side-column ignition switch and a regular metal key/fob. The six, (by nature) settles into a smooth, quiet idle, but some exhaust noise comes into play as you accelerate...more with higher RPM's. So, even with a smooth, quiet engine and the underhood insulation pad, the exhaust noise makes it a little less than Lexus-quiet. A little muffler work, on the part of Volvo engineers. would probably take care of that.

The engine, though adequate for normal driving, is also not a powerhouse. It handles the vehicle's weight and the drag of AWD OK, but give yourself a little room if you are going to pull into fast-moving traffic. The 6-speed automatic transmission is butter-smooth when warm; slight bumpiness on the shifts can be felt when cold. The shifter motion, besides being free of the anoying ziz-zags, is smooth, positive, and snappy, a good thing, since there are no shift-paddles on the steering column for the manual Sport-Shift mode.

The chassis is generally well-done, but falls a little short of the BMW X3 and X5 competitors. Steering response is reasonably good for an SUV, with little body roll (here, again, the standard Roll Stability Control shows its stuff), but the steering is rather numb and gives little feel or feedback. Ride comfort is generally good over larger, wavy bumps, but a little firm over smaller, sharper ones and broken pavement. There was none of the fore/aft rocking/porpoising motions sometimes felt in SUV's, and the car, with the AWD, generally tracked straight. Wind noise, with the high-quality, solid doors and insulation, is very well-muted, almost to Lexus levels, but some road/tire noise could be detected on concrete and coarse asphalt surfaces. Brakes were well-done in the typical European fashion, with little or no sponginess, firm feel, and good, smooth response, but the position of the brake and gas pedals was very poor for large, wide feet like mine (size 15s). The gas pedal sits low, deep down between the brake pedal and console wall, and the brake pedal was so high above the gas that it was difficult for me to move it up off of the gas without hanging my feet up on the underside of the brake. I got used to it, but it took longer than usual.

THE VERDICT:

The XC90 is not a vehicle for classic driving enthusiasts, but offers many virtues. It has many safety features (a number of which I didn't have time to go into in detail here). Properly driven, it will do a good job of protecting you in an accident (and help you avoid some accidents in the first place). The interior, especially in upper-trim levels, is superbly designed, constructed, and finished. The cargo area, like the interior, is superbly done. Its Haldex AWD system and stance promises all-weather security and ground clearance for deep snow. The body cladding is well-done and will help keep the paint nice. It rides comfortably and quietly, except for a little exhaust and road noise. And the brakes are well-done, especially if you have smaller feet.

But there are some flies in the ointment, too. V8s are very difficult to find, especially with the R-Design, and may shortly be dropped. The underhood layout, like so many other vehicles today, needs less cluttering and more access to things without covers. The steering, otherwise OK, has the road feel of overcooked pasta. Upper-trim levels are rather pricey. The old-fashioned ignition switch needs to be replaced with a button. The rear end needs a real spare tire....or at least something better than a cheap bottle. The seats need the nice smooth leather that they had several years ago, before automakers started switching to the rough, grainy stuff.

And, of course, there is the schoolteacher, Granny image....the same image that affects many Volvo products. Frankly, my opinion is that "image" is a bunch of crap, people should buy and drive what they want, and not worry about what the neighbors down the street think. But, let's face it, auto sales are definitely affected by this kind of perception. My advice, though, is that if you like this vehicle (admittedly, it is not a sporting or "enthusiast" vehicle), and you don't think it's overpriced, then go for it. You could do a lot worse with your money.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-26-09 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-25-09, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's the cheaper version with the black lower-body cladding I mentioned:

Old 07-25-09, 08:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the XC90 share the same chassis and engine/transmission layout as any other Ford product?
Old 07-25-09, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Does the XC90 share the same chassis and engine/transmission layout as any other Ford product?
On the basic platform question, this web site helps answer that question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_D3_platform

As far as the powertrains go, Fords and Volvos generally do not use the same engines. The XC90, for example, uses a 3.2L in-line six; no Ford-labeled vehicle I know of does. However, Yamaha does the 4.4L V8 for the XC90, and Yamaha also has a history of producing engines for the older Ford Taurus SHOs, but the new 2010 Taurus SHO will use a high-output Ecoboost V6, not an in-line 6 or a V8.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-25-09 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-25-09, 09:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

nice review, thanks as always.

i have positive feelings about volvos - i think they're very well made, and i like how they drive, and i really like the interiors.

one comment on your review...

The rest of the underhood layout, though, with both the six and the V8, is not impressive. Both engines are stuffed in rather tightly (the V8 slightly more than the six), have big plastic engine covers that hide most of their upper components, and smaller covers on the sides that hide things such as the battery and underhood computers. Not many things around the sides of the engine can be easily reached either. The dipsticks (yes, unlike BMW and
Mercedes, Volvo still allows you to check your own oil), reservoirs, and filler caps are generally easy to reach, although the rectangular oil dipstick is rather strange-looking, and not painted the usual orange color but red.
i know this is a pet peeve of yours, but i think you make much too much of it because MOST people NEVER look under the hood, and if they do, as you said on this car, the dipsticks and reservoirs are easy to reach anyway.
Old 07-26-09, 03:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nice review, thanks as always.
Sure. Anytime.

i have positive feelings about volvos - i think they're very well made, and i like how they drive, and i really like the interiors.
The interiors have really come upon the last several years, especially on the upper-line models, but Volvo's steering systems tend to be numb-feeling, and, to an extent, they drive like appliances, especially if you are used to a BMW or a Mazda sedan. Volvo's forte is generally safety.......Volvo and Mercedes seemingly place more emphasis on safety than any other automakers.

i know this is a pet peeve of yours, but i think you make much too much of it because MOST people NEVER look under the hood, and if they do, as you said on this car, the dipsticks and reservoirs are easy to reach anyway.
I don't do a whole lot of things underhood myself, except for occasional oil changes, topping off fluids, and replacing small filters or a battery if needed, but there is no reason for automakers to make even those simple things as difficult as possible. Some vehicles are very well-designed for working underhood....others aren't. I feel that I should note those that are and aren't. Those owners who don't work underhood need not concern themselves with that part of the review.
Old 07-26-09, 11:24 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't do a whole lot of things underhood myself, except for occasional oil changes, topping off fluids, and replacing small filters or a battery if needed, but there is no reason for automakers to make even those simple things as difficult as possible. Some vehicles are very well-designed for working underhood....others aren't. I feel that I should note those that are and aren't. Those owners who don't work underhood need not concern themselves with that part of the review.

Well, keep in mind that it will cost you more to service a car with poor underhood layout/assembly design compared to a well thought out design. Remember, mechanics charge by hour for their labor.

There are cars that require engine to be removed to change spark plugs. There are cars that require the removal of the front bumper to service timing belt. There are even cars that require the removal of the wheel and fended undercover to change a light bulb. That just defies any sense of logic.
Old 07-26-09, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
There are cars that require engine to be removed to change spark plugs. There are cars that require the removal of the front bumper to service timing belt. There are even cars that require the removal of the wheel and fended undercover to change a light bulb. That just defies any sense of logic.
Changing the rear bank of spark plugs on transverse-mounted V6s and V8s can also be difficult and/or expensive, although it doesn't usually require engine removal. It often requires the use of a special spark-plug wrench that has a flexible universal joint on it for fitting around tight corners.....providing there's enough space to lift the plug itself out. Fortunately, today's platinum plugs often go 100,000 miles, although a smart owner will change them every 30,000 or so to keep the threads from getting burned and fused into the engine block from the long-term engine heat. The effectiveness of the anti-seize compound applied to the threads at the factory only lasts so long.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-26-09 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned review: Depends on availability, but I hope to do the new 2010 Ford Taurus, Lexus HS250, and Buick LaCrosse soon. There is a lot of interest in these vehicles.
Old 07-27-09, 06:56 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I mean to ask you, if you were to compare this Volvo to the MDX, which one do you think is better?
Old 07-27-09, 07:29 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice review

ive always had this suburban soccer mom image to the XC90 in my mind

btw mmarshal, could you add Ford Fusion into that list?
and perhaps Ford Fiesta?

lol i know its a lot of ford cars but i think they have gotten interesting lately
Old 07-27-09, 08:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I mean to ask you, if you were to compare this Volvo to the MDX, which one do you think is better?

I'd bet on the MDX for better reliability, particularly in electronics, but, as a daily driver, I'd much prefer the XC90, particularly its superbly-designed interior and controls. And there is no comparison in safety features....Volvo's traditional forte.
Old 07-27-09, 09:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UberNoob
nice review
Thanks.

I've always had this suburban soccer mom image to the XC90 in my mind
That, and the schoolteacher/college professor image, is something that Volvo products are often stuck with (somewhat unfairly, IMO).

Automotive "Image" is something that is very difficult for some people to get out of their minds. They are conditioned by the auto press, forum blogs, and the peer pressure of what others think, to the point where it often clouds their judgement. I try to see past that and be objective.

btw mmarshal, could you add Ford Fusion into that list?
I've already done the new 2010 Fusion Hybrid.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...on-hybrid.html

And here is an old, shorter review of the 2006 Lincoln Zephyr (now MKZ), the Fusion's twin. It was done before I started including images and sub-columns in my reviews.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ln-zephyr.html

And an old 2007 AWD Ford Fusion review:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...se-v6-awd.html

and perhaps Ford Fiesta?
The Fiesta is not yet available in the American market. If and when it becomes available, I'll put it on the list.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-27-09 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-27-09, 09:52 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Changing the rear bank of spark plugs on transverse-mounted V6s and V8s can also be difficult and/or expensive,
$600 for the plugs on an RX300.
Old 07-27-09, 09:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
$600 for the plugs on an RX300.
Maybe more than that if the plugs have been in so long that they got fused, from the engine heat, to the engine itself. That may require drilling them out and re-threading the cylinder heads. This has been a significant problem for technicians to deal with on the long-lasting, 100,000-mile plugs.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Volvo XC90