Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKBLOG 2: The search for the perfect car

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-09, 09:41 PM
LexFather

Lightbulb 1SICKBLOG 2: The search for the perfect car

Having read the new issue of Top Gear's mag Friday I felt the need to write something for you to hopefully agree with Monday at work. If I'm really lucky, you won't agree with it, you will blast me everywhere and ask for my head, thus making me famous. Then I can finish my PM to bitkahuna about my blog I am exploring....Funny how things work......

I'm on multiple car forums but for various reasons I usually just lurk now. Its come to my attention for every 10 people posting elsewhere, 1 maybe 2 actually has a clue and actually puts gas in their vehicle and doesn't drink it. Surely the 8-9 people per ten I am talking about puts me in that same gas drinking category.

I prefer to mix my gas with some Grand Mariner.

Luckily here in our Car Chat forum we are blessed with leaders who have a clue and actually have experience with other brands. You have your home forum bias but it is a home forum. Since the leaders are better capable than your senators and governors (wait is that saying much) it trickles down. We are blessed with a lot of members in here who contribute as well and it makes for entertaining discussion.

This discussion today is about picking a car. Well not really as I will blog about that later. My discussion is picking the PERFECT car. Or rather creating it.

Automakers are going ape**** trying to find the next niche and it seems the next do it all vehicle. The replacement for the SUV. Well though the SUV doesn't do it all actually. It did kill the wagon though and I don't think James Bond could have killed with better precision. Thus we see "new" vehicles like the X6 or the EX 35. Except AMC beat them to the punch by 30 years. So it got me thinking what did I want in a "perfect vehicle".

Well I want a good looking car. I figure car b/c I want a sedan. However a hatch gives more utility. So I guess I want a hatch but it doesn't look like one, b/c what hot woman dates a man in a hatch? Rossane Barr? No thanks. Considering most designers are high on PCP the chances of getting a good looking car is slim. However lets say its a rare pure strain of PCP and I get a good looking hatch. I also want a luxury badge that matters. So this blog is to BMW, Audi, Lexus, Benz. To be different I would love it to be an Alfa Romeo but I know they wouldn't read any of this (Italian car companies don't really read, they feel they are better than us and what they make is the best, period. Who needs to read then?), make it look gorgeous and say "here you go".

Well now I want some luxury. I want NAV, I want my butt cooled, and heated. I want my toes cool too and I want leather. However I am getting more "green" so I want a hide from a cow who ate organic food. Who wants a cow raised on grain? That's so yesterday. I also want T.Vs, DVDs, 50 way power seats, internet, a 30 speaker sound system with 5000 watts. That should so it. I also want a suede room. And real wood from a rare forest in Brazil thats going to get slashed and burned tomorrow.

Thing is I also am concerned about weight. Not just b/c weight is bad and hurts MPG but b/c heavy cars suck on the internet. Who wants a car that sucks on the internet? So I need my 4 door good looking luxurious hatch made of Carbon Fiber. I mean everything out of carbon fiber is light right (looks at Lambo weight, cringes). Also aluminum, thats light too.

Cool, so now I want a car thats SULEV complaint, quiet and isn't a guzzler. So yes, I want HYBRID!! Crap that adds weight. Maybe we can use Ion batteries from my old laptops. I want at least 30 MPG city/highway.

Good now I also want power. I don't want to get beat by the Flintstones at the stoplight. So I need at least A V-8. Well maybe a turbo 6? Except they sound like Civics. So a V-8 it is. Hybrid. That gets 30 MPG. Well Actually 35 MPG or CAFE will hate it. I also want a 10 speed automatic b/c well 10 is more than 8 and I want two shifters. I want a manual so I can be cool on the internet but I want an automatic b/c well it gets better MPG and when I'm stuck in traffic, well I don't want a manual. No not DSG, not a manumatic. I want two damn shifters. Better make that a 12 speed automatic b/c Hyundai will make an 11 speed next week after reading this.

I want at least 40 cubic feet of cargo with the seats up. Thats a nice number. I don't plan to really use it but for the 2% of the time I may need it, I know its there. Otherwise it will just haul Hooters giftcards and Grand Mariner. I also want it to handle like a 911 so get Lotus to tune the car. Lets not forget it must be AWD. Why? B/C RWD is dangerous and FWD is lame. Well thats what I read.

For the price of maybe $30 grand, I think we have a winner. 2500lbs, 35 MPG, hybrid, AWD, luxury, sport, utility, prestige.

So who sells this?

Amazingly blend the Prius, the new A5 hatchback and the Panamera and we might have a winner.

Since we know that won't happen simply buy whats best for YOU and your needs. Also pray that aliens arrive to give us technology to make this car I am proposing.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-26-09 at 09:45 PM.

Old 07-26-09, 09:57 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is what you are looking for.

Old 07-26-09, 10:08 PM
LexFather

Dave I did have it in mind 1/2 way through writing!

Old 07-26-09, 10:12 PM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

This made me laugh and it was a very good read.

As of late my girlfriend and I started watching the Star Trek movies. Star Trek IV is the funniest one. Captain Kirk and his crew go back in time (to San Francisco in the 1980's) and a lady in the movie asked if they use money in the future and Captain Kirk told her in the 24th century people no longer use money. If you watch Star Trek VIII Captain Picard and his crew also go back in time (to Montana in the year 2063) and one lady asks the same question and Captain Picard explains it much better.

I also remember the same lady was amazed how the whole entire ship was made of an abundance of titanium.

Alien techonolgy and if someone from the future came back in time to give us that future technology now it would be extremely awesome to use in our cars today.

I know I would want my entire car to be made of titanium, have a forced field, be able to transport to anyplace I desire if there is too much traffic on the freeway and of course have the latest photon torpedos and phasers...hehehehe...
Old 07-26-09, 10:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beam me up.
Old 07-26-09, 10:27 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Dave I did have it in mind 1/2 way through writing!
LOL, that is all I could think of reading through your post!
Old 07-26-09, 10:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Trexus
This made me laugh and it was a very good read.

As of late my girlfriend and I started watching the Star Trek movies. Star Trek IV is the funniest one. Captain Kirk and his crew go back in time (to San Francisco in the 1980's) and a lady in the movie asked if they use money in the future and Captain Kirk told her in the 24th century people no longer use money. If you watch Star Trek VIII Captain Picard and his crew also go back in time (to Montana in the year 2063) and one lady asks the same question and Captain Picard explains it much better.

I also remember the same lady was amazed how the whole entire ship was made of an abundance of titanium.

Alien techonolgy and if someone from the future came back in time to give us that future technology now it would be extremely awesome to use in our cars today.

I know I would want my entire car to be made of titanium, have a forced field, be able to transport to anyplace I desire if there is too much traffic on the freeway and of course have the latest photon torpedos and phasers...hehehehe...
lol...I do love Star Trek!

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Beam me up.
Well if you have enough Grand Mariner you will feel that way.

Old 07-27-09, 01:26 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I want power and luxury in y cars. I am way to tall for ferraris or Porsche's. I love high powered sedans for me. I will always admire the true sports cars but you will use the luxury more frequently. Many of todays supersedans will provide a experience similar to the real hardcore sorts cars
Old 07-27-09, 02:21 AM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tesla Model S sedan
Old 07-27-09, 10:23 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

PERFECT CAR:

300 HP
3000 lbs.
30 MPG

with only these 3 specs, the rest of the car will flesh out by itself...

I'm thinking super efficient 3.0 liter V6 in a light weight chassis.
Old 07-27-09, 10:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I want power and luxury in y cars. I am way to tall for ferraris or Porsche's. I love high powered sedans for me. I will always admire the true sports cars but you will use the luxury more frequently. Many of todays supersedans will provide a experience similar to the real hardcore sorts cars
I'm kind of leaning your way on preferred cars lately too. At 5' 9" I fit in any car, so that's not a big deal. I've owned several Porsche roadsters but found I was driving them too infrequently, more like garage queens. A sports sedan gives me the the power and decent handling combined with luxury, and a big enough footprint on the road to be safe in traffic.
Old 07-27-09, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Well I want a good looking car. I figure car b/c I want a sedan. However a hatch gives more utility. So I guess I want a hatch but it doesn't look like one, b/c what hot woman dates a man in a hatch? Rossane Barr? No thanks. Considering most designers are high on PCP the chances of getting a good looking car is slim. However lets say its a rare pure strain of PCP and I get a good looking hatch. I also want a luxury badge that matters. So this blog is to BMW, Audi, Lexus, Benz. To be different I would love it to be an Alfa Romeo but I know they wouldn't read any of this (Italian car companies don't really read, they feel they are better than us and what they make is the best, period. Who needs to read then?), make it look gorgeous and say "here you go".

Well now I want some luxury. I want NAV, I want my butt cooled, and heated. I want my toes cool too and I want leather. However I am getting more "green" so I want a hide from a cow who ate organic food. Who wants a cow raised on grain? That's so yesterday. I also want T.Vs, DVDs, 50 way power seats, internet, a 30 speaker sound system with 5000 watts. That should so it. I also want a suede room. And real wood from a rare forest in Brazil thats going to get slashed and burned tomorrow.

Thing is I also am concerned about weight. Not just b/c weight is bad and hurts MPG but b/c heavy cars suck on the internet. Who wants a car that sucks on the internet? So I need my 4 door good looking luxurious hatch made of Carbon Fiber. I mean everything out of carbon fiber is light right (looks at Lambo weight, cringes). Also aluminum, thats light too.

Cool, so now I want a car thats SULEV complaint, quiet and isn't a guzzler. So yes, I want HYBRID!! Crap that adds weight. Maybe we can use Ion batteries from my old laptops. I want at least 30 MPG city/highway.

Good now I also want power. I don't want to get beat by the Flintstones at the stoplight. So I need at least A V-8. Well maybe a turbo 6? Except they sound like Civics. So a V-8 it is. Hybrid. That gets 30 MPG. Well Actually 35 MPG or CAFE will hate it. I also want a 10 speed automatic b/c well 10 is more than 8 and I want two shifters. I want a manual so I can be cool on the internet but I want an automatic b/c well it gets better MPG and when I'm stuck in traffic, well I don't want a manual. No not DSG, not a manumatic. I want two damn shifters. Better make that a 12 speed automatic b/c Hyundai will make an 11 speed next week after reading this.

I want at least 40 cubic feet of cargo with the seats up. Thats a nice number. I don't plan to really use it but for the 2% of the time I may need it, I know its there. Otherwise it will just haul Hooters giftcards and Grand Mariner. I also want it to handle like a 911 so get Lotus to tune the car. Lets not forget it must be AWD. Why? B/C RWD is dangerous and FWD is lame. Well thats what I read.

For the price of maybe $30 grand, I think we have a winner. 2500lbs, 35 MPG, hybrid, AWD, luxury, sport, utility, prestige.

So who sells this?
You are correct that the exact combination of these traits doesn't currently exist in the American market. There are some vehicles that come close, but you will have to yield some on price and/or vehicle weight.

For me, the perfect car would (probably) be a design with Subaru's Symmetrical AWD or Acura's SH-AWD system incorparated in a fairly large, relatively soft-riding platform with a modern Bluetec diesel or hybrid engine for economy, plush, high-quality interior materials, and the noise isolation and transmission smoothness of a 1960's Buick or today's Lexus LS460. It would have to have enough handling and steering response, however, to be reasonably agile and not barge-like.
And, yes.........Honda build quality, though Subaru and some Toyota build quality comes close. .

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-27-09 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-27-09, 11:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I'm kind of leaning your way on preferred cars lately too. At 5' 9" I fit in any car, so that's not a big deal. I've owned several Porsche roadsters but found I was driving them too infrequently, more like garage queens. A sports sedan gives me the the power and decent handling combined with luxury, and a big enough footprint on the road to be safe in traffic.
Yeah I think recently I have been leaning away from the GTR I have been wanting and more towards an AMG Benz, M BMW, or maybe an LS. I am thinking that the German super sedans would provide me the insane fun blast down a highway every now and then while still retaining the utility of a large sedan. I am having this feeling that I may cross over to the dark side and buy German. I have done the Lexus, Acura, and infiniti thing. Maybe I will gamble next time and go for the power.
Old 07-27-09, 11:17 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

to me the perfect car was always the perfect get away car.......it needs to be fast, big, and drive on any terrain, i think right now the porsche cayenne turbo S is the closest thing to a perfect car.....thats what i would use in a bank robbery any ways :P
Old 07-28-09, 12:43 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am still young. Give me twelve cylinders, four turbos, make it out of titanium and carbon fiber, and package as a coupe.

When I wreck it or have a kid, I will move to an M5