Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 10:37 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG

Supercar performance wrapped in a Hugo Boss suit

By Mark Atkinson
July 08, 2009

Affalterbach, Germany – Mercedes-Benz’s performance division, AMG, was literally born in a barn over 40 years ago to build high-performance engines for the three-pointed star. Since then, the number of hits rolling out of this Swabian company reads like a who’s who of performance machines.

2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG - Click to see the complete gallery (Photo: Mark Atkinson)From the company's 300 SEL 6.8 AMG which won the 24 hours of Spa-Francorchamps after only four years in business, to the mind-boggling '80s V8-powered AMG Hammer, to the near-700-horsepower SL65 AMG Black Series of today, the company's history is huge.

The barns long ago gave way to acres of plants and assembly areas, but that spirit still imbues every Mercedes-Benz offered today. And while the not every Benz has a full-on performance version (i.e. B-Class and GL-Class), even regular sport packages are designed with input from AMG.

Following its popular C-Class sibling, the new-for-2010 E-Class now get its own dose of sex appeal. The old blobby headlights are replaced with razor-sharp units. The soft sides now feature strong character lines, while the rear gets a more defined shape. It's a tasteful interpretation of Mercedes-Benz's evolving design language.

Hand-built craftsmanship for the 21st century
2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG - Click to see the complete gallery (Photo: Mark Atkinson)The hot version in the pipeline is the reason we're here genuflecting at the AMG altar: the 500-plus horsepower E63 AMG. Don't be disappointed that this V8-powered super sedan sees its engine carried over: the 6.2-litre V8 now produces 518 hp at 6,800 rpm (up 11 from before) while remains at 465 lb.-ft. at 5,200 rpm. So obsessed is AMG with ultimate performance and durability that each engine is hand-assembled in a clean room by one mechanic. This attention to detail, along with some other tuning wizardry, also allows the E63 AMG to boast greatly increased fuel efficiency at 12.6 L/100 km combined, about 12 per cent better than before.

Nearly everything else is new for 2010. The seven-speed automatic transmission is the same one used in the SL63 AMG, and rather than a traditional torque converter, it features a wet clutch. This allows an unprecedented amount of control in a powerful Mercedes-Benz without having to develop an expensive dual-clutch automated manual transmission à la Audi and BMW. There are also four shift programs of varying aggressiveness (Comfort, Sport, Sport + and Manual) that allow you to custom tailor your driving experience.

Go, turn, stop, protect
Throw in all the usual electronic traction and stability management software, and this über-E-Class will rocket from 0-100 km/h in 4.5 seconds before reaching a limited top speed of 250 km/h. Thankfully, AMG didn't just build a muscle car; it also spent time getting this E to tango.

The E63 features a revised three-setting Airmatic adjustable suspension with retuned steel springs that's already stiffer than the standard E-Class settings, and 18-inch wheels with meaty performance-oriented tires keep the car planted. Nearing the car's electronically limited top speed on the Autobahn, it felt completely planted and drama-free, and was a willing partner on the significantly slower B-roads.

Brakes are substantial 360-mm discs all around with six-piston callipers up front. While globally the E63 will be available with optional carbon-ceramic brakes (denoted by gold-painted callipers), Mercedes-Benz Canada confirmed that they won't be available at the car's launch in August. In fact, it hasn't decided whether to even bother in the future. While they reduce unsprung weight by 40 per cent and are hugely powerful, from experience during the launch program, they are difficult to modulate properly.

The E63 AMG shares a suite of safety systems with the 2010 Es, including the drowsiness detection system Attention Assist, Pre-Safe, Brake Assist, and crash-responsive Neck-Pro head restraints. Optional systems include Lane Keeping Assist and Blind Spot Assist in the Technology Pack.

Cool, calm, collected
All of this is wrapped in a package that differs slightly from the regular E-Class with flared fenders and a wider track, and AMG-styled front and rear fascias, side sills and sport exhaust with four stylish pipes that greatly enhances the V8's mighty roar. Overall, it's a successful if slightly understated evolution of the now-familiar theme.

Inside, the new E takes a number of cues from the current C-Class, although in this range, it's much plusher. The optional adaptive sport seats are fantastic and slightly creepy when the bladders fill and empty in response to the car's changing direction. Other AMG exclusives include a unique instrument cluster, four-spoke steering wheel, and the AMG Drive Unit, which is essentially a new gear lever next to the four buttons dedicated to altering the suspension stiffness, throttle and gear response, traction and stability control. The last one is an AMG button that allows you to store your favourite combination of the first three and access it at will.

Otherwise, the E63 AMG comes loaded with things like the COMAND system with hard-drive based navigation, a harman/kardon surround-sound system, full leather seating, parking sensors, a panoramic sunroof, automatic climate control, and active bi-xenon headlights. The full list of standard equipment is staggering.

Choices, choices, choices ...
Mercedes-Benz is also offering a number of options for owners to personalize their new muscle machine. The Performance Package offers a stiffer suspension, 19-inch wheels and tires, a mechanical limited-slip differential, a three-spoke steering wheel and carbon fibre trim. It also pushes the speed limiter up to 300 km/h.

The Premium Package includes the adaptive multi-contour front heated and cooled seats, heated rear seats, Keyless Go and an electrically-operating trunk.

Finally, standalone options include a rear-view camera, radar-based cruise control, an infrared night-view camera, rear-seat entertainment system, and various choices for interior trim.

Shining as brightly as ever
Pricing for the 2010 E63 AMG has not been released as of yet, but expect it to stay close to the outgoing model's base price of CANADIAN$121,000. That's quite a bit more than the current M5, although the new Benz is significantly better equipped. Audi's S6 is an even better deal at $99,500, but is outgunned in this segment both in terms of outright power and craftsmanship.

So while we won't see this E63 AMG winning at Spa, it will win the dealership wars, and in today's crazy market, that's what really counts.

- Specifications and features of the 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG have yet to be finalized and are subject to change.

2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG

Base price: $TBA

Type of vehicle: RWD performance luxury sedan

Engine: 6.2L, 32-valve DOHC V8

Power/Torque: 518 hp/465 lb.-ft.

Transmission: Seven-speed automatic

0-100 km/h: 4.5 seconds

Fuel consumption: TBA L/100 km

Competition: Audi S6, Cadillac CTS-V, BMW M5, Jaguar XFR, Porsche Panamera Turbo

PREVIEW SUMMARY
PROS
- Thunderous exhaust and powerful thrust from handmade engine
- Doesn't shy away when the corners arrive
- Comfortable and ultra-supportive dynamic seats

CONS
- Can have his & hers C63 AMG for one E63 AMG
- Best-in-class fuel economy still frightening
- Carbon-ceramic brakes squeaky and difficult to modulate

Link: http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/rev...entid=20664991

Link to photos: http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/pho...photo-number=1
Attached Thumbnails First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG-1.jpg   First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG-2.jpg   First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG-3.jpg   First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG-4.jpg   First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG-5.jpg  

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-27-09 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 10:39 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

more pics....
Attached Thumbnails First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG-6.jpg   First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG-7.jpg   First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG-8.jpg   First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG-9.jpg   First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG-10.jpg  

Old 07-27-09, 10:40 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

last bunch of pics...
Attached Thumbnails First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG-11.jpg   First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG-12.jpg   First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG-13.jpg   First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG-14.jpg  
Old 07-27-09, 10:43 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow...talk about overkill
Old 07-27-09, 10:56 AM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice car overall the price is way high and the dash looks like a step backwards to the early 90s.
Old 07-27-09, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I reviewed the last-generation E63 and it was the most expensive ($94,000) and probably the fastest-accelerating car I've driven to date (though, with brand-new engines, I don't red-line the cars I review). Still, its torque level, with the traction control shut off, had I wanted it to, probably would have spun the rear tires, on dry pavement, for a whole quarter-mile. I didn't like its complex interior/electronics, however, or its basic control layout.
Old 07-27-09, 11:16 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Yikes, the interior looks awful in those pictures
Old 07-27-09, 11:21 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Red Bully
nice car overall the price is way high and the dash looks like a step backwards to the early 90s.
please note that it's a canadian review article, so the prices are in canadian dollars.
Old 07-27-09, 03:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

This is a supercar for tall men. I love it. You can probably pick one up for half price in 3 years
Old 07-27-09, 05:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yum yum...

if everything goes well, 2 more yrs, this or the m5??
Old 07-27-09, 05:47 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
yum yum...

if everything goes well, 2 more yrs, this or the m5??
I'm on the same page as you Henry.

Will be interesting to see what the next gen M5 brings to the table, but I agree that one of these two will also end up in my garage in a couple of years.
Old 07-27-09, 06:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

the closer I get to buying my next car I am thinking a high powered sedan might be a better choice rather than a GTR or even the cloud 9 LS460. The AMG vehicles and M division produce cars almost as thrilling but I can have a baby safe in the back when needed. I am just wondering if I will be happy with the reliability of a German car. At least theres no 20K trasmission issues.
Old 07-27-09, 06:28 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
the closer I get to buying my next car I am thinking a high powered sedan might be a better choice rather than a GTR or even the cloud 9 LS460. The AMG vehicles and M division produce cars almost as thrilling but I can have a baby safe in the back when needed. I am just wondering if I will be happy with the reliability of a German car. At least theres no 20K trasmission issues.
There is a thread or two in Car Chat about the Germans' improving reliability. However, I would always stay away from the first year of a car. It's nice to have the newest model but I wouldn't want to be the reliability guinea pig.

I'm waiting for the new CLS AMG that is supposed to have a twin-turbo V8
Old 07-27-09, 07:50 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Yikes, the interior looks awful in those pictures
i don't like gray interior cars myself...
Old 07-27-09, 08:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I'm on the same page as you Henry.

Will be interesting to see what the next gen M5 brings to the table, but I agree that one of these two will also end up in my garage in a couple of years.
yeah totally. these cars are great to lease imho now we are leasing the m3 and my wife is already telling me next car let's get the m5 or the cls/e amg

gotta love my wife

Originally Posted by LB Lex
There is a thread or two in Car Chat about the Germans' improving reliability. However, I would always stay away from the first year of a car. It's nice to have the newest model but I wouldn't want to be the reliability guinea pig.

I'm waiting for the new CLS AMG that is supposed to have a twin-turbo V8
the next cls amg will be tt v8? so that means the E amg will get a new engine config too then later?

i agree i'd never get first yr car, and that applies to brands like lexus too. nowadays it's just hard to have a first yr car that's rock solid

Quick Reply: First drive: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG