Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does Godzilla have a soul??? Autoblog review of the 2010 Nissan GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 11:28 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
Haven't driven a GTR, won't even dare comment on how it feels.

But we all know where this is going - It's all about "feel", and "character" that differentiate some ho-hum Asian cars from European ones. This isn't applicable 100%, there are some great Japanese cars which will stirr your soul, but on average...come on. Camry/Accord put up against a Citreon C5? It's all about the flair.
Says the guy who drives an Accord ....
Old 07-28-09, 11:54 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Haven't driven a GTR, won't even dare comment on how it feels.

But we all know where this is going - It's all about "feel", and "character" that differentiate some ho-hum Asian cars from European ones. This isn't applicable 100%, there are some great Japanese cars which will stirr your soul, but on average...come on. Camry/Accord put up against a Citroen C5? It's all about the flair. It't too easy on the internet to fall into only assessing numbers, but in the real world you have to assess the cars on more qualitative aspects.
I completely appreciate the argument that GTR are 'too advance', well they are, no doubt about it; however, being advance it allows you to go fast, much fast and isn't the the goal ultimately?

Some people think 'driver isn't as engaged' while driving a GTR. I don't even know what that means. Lets get rid of the ABS, lets go back to carburetors, leaf springs, in fact why not use steam engines if we really want to be engaged with the vehicle.

Last edited by Jujharoo; 07-28-09 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-28-09, 12:03 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Satan can sell you a soul

he has many
Old 07-28-09, 12:09 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

I kind of see both sides of the argument. To me the pink elephant in the room is the generational differences. You have guys writing reviews that are use to less complicated cars. Yes some German/Italian cars are as complicated however they try to hide it. Except for maybe BMW and iDrive. So when they get in a car designed for the "PlayStation Generation" they write it off as "soul less".

Soul is a matter of perception.
Old 07-28-09, 12:10 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Life has soul, machine has no soul, car is one type of machine, thus it has not soul regardless of its brand and model. When people can't find major faults in GT-R, they blame on some intangible unquantifiable stuff like "it is lacking soul".
Old 07-28-09, 12:16 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Twan0690
I kind of see both sides of the argument. To me the pink elephant in the room is the generational differences. You have guys writing reviews that are use to less complicated cars. Yes some German/Italian cars are as complicated however they try to hide it. Except for maybe BMW and iDrive. So when they get in a car designed for the "PlayStation Generation" they write it off as "soul less".

Thats a very good point.

Though the majority of the GTR owners are 40+
Old 07-28-09, 08:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
lol at people who don't know what personality is
sigh...............

Exactly, great point. You see I find it kinda funny to see Euro snobs saying the GT-R doesn't have soul and it has too much tech when their cars CONTINUE to add more and more tech!!

I see it as cars have different soul. Clearly hundreds/thousands of people poured their "soul" into the vehicle. There is different soul
-pure soul, like a McLaren F1, NSX, GT-3
-exotic soul, Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley.....etc
-Flagship soul, 7, LS, S, A8, etc
-QUality soul, SC 430, a new Buick, etc
-Jack of all trades soul, Jetta, Camry, Accord
-Family and stuff soul, RX, Q7, X5, etc

You see these vehicles all have different purposes and all have "soul" for these purposes

Only a snob will tell you one car has soul and another has none as they are usually depending it on sport only. Mind you they probably take the bus to work.

Old 07-28-09, 11:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

soul to me means that the car stirs your soul and excites like few can and that the car has been made with passion and with a strong purpose ( sport, luxury, off road)
Old 07-29-09, 12:52 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
soul to me means that the car stirs your soul and excites like few can and that the car has been made with passion and with a strong purpose ( sport, luxury, off road)
By your definition then I guess one could not deny that the GT-R does indeed have "soul."
Old 07-29-09, 03:16 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

How can any car with over 400HP just waiting for you NOT have a soul????
Old 07-29-09, 04:59 AM
SaUcE
Rookie

That is perfectly stated.

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
How can any car with over 400HP just waiting for you NOT have a soul????

C&D did the same thing with the new 911 Turbo a few years back, they said it was 'an appliance for speed' and gave the soul argument for the Vette Z06 that won the competition.

I think their soul argument is that the car has its flaws, and that the flaws can add to the driving excitement. The AWD GTR cant rip off donuts or effortlessly destroy tires in burnouts like the RWD Corvette can. It may be the more formidable track vehicle, but lacks in the fun category in ways the Vette excels. (This isnt my opinion, just what I have read in comparisons. I have driven neither.)

Either way, Ill take one in Solid Red

Last edited by SaUcE; 07-29-09 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 05:25 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

In all fairness to the auto journalists I haven't read very many, whether American or European, say the GT-R has no "soul". Certainly not Top Gear or EVO. I find that the ones leveling that argument are people (most of whom are non-journalists and have likely NEVER even been inside one) who just don't like the car.
Old 07-29-09, 08:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
In all fairness to the auto journalists I haven't read very many, whether American or European, say the GT-R has no "soul". Certainly not Top Gear or EVO. I find that the ones leveling that argument are people (most of whom are non-journalists and have likely NEVER even been inside one) who just don't like the car.
Basically. Its like in a comparo, the Japanese or American car can be superior and at the end the summary will say "it just lacks soul, thus we will go with the other car".

Old 07-29-09, 08:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

euro knows about souls well, seeing many of them go to heaven after getting creamed by a GTR
Old 07-29-09, 02:26 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Or in a ditch

Quick Reply: Does Godzilla have a soul??? Autoblog review of the 2010 Nissan GT-R