Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does Godzilla have a soul??? Autoblog review of the 2010 Nissan GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 11:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Does Godzilla have a soul??? Autoblog review of the 2010 Nissan GT-R

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/27/r...a-have-a-soul/

So what's up then? Why the bum rap? Why do so many journalists (and I can't name names because I'm friends with so many of them) write off the GT-R as highly competent but ultimately soulless? Sure, it's one of the four or five most mindboggling performance vehicles on sale, but... meh. They just don't dig it. Besides not driving it hard enough, here's another explanation: Remember when compact discs came out? There was a seemingly endless series of interviews on MTV with guys like Tom Petty bemoaning the loss of the pops, hisses and scratches inherent to records. The flaws were part of the sound, man. You can't flip a CD over – how do you know what side of the record is playing? That's fine, but it's just knee-jerk reactionary nostalgia.

Let's look at the 2005 winner for supercar bang-for-the-buck: the Corvette Z06. It makes about identical power compared to the GT-R, but weighs 700 pounds less. Yet the GT-R is faster, both in a straight line and around corners. Stops better, too. Neat party trick, no? Yes, laying fat, smoky strips of incinerated rubber a hundred feet long is fun, but it's old fashioned, and in many ways, it's making the best of a compromised situation. On the other hand, the GT-R inhabits the same plane of existence as Porsche's legendary 959. Better driving through science. Of course, the Nissan is faster, more nimble and worlds less expensive than my favorite Porsche. Now I'm not blind, deaf or numb. A certain number of imperfections do add flavor. But that's hardly the only way to build character. Might I suggest a 485-hp, twin-turbo 3.8-liter V6 coupled to a fancy-pants AWD system and a dual-clutch tranny from hell? For my money, that's about as soulful as a car gets.
Attached Thumbnails Does Godzilla have a soul??? Autoblog review of the 2010 Nissan GT-R-2010gtr_review011_opt.jpg   Does Godzilla have a soul??? Autoblog review of the 2010 Nissan GT-R-2010gtr_review004_opt.jpg  
Old 07-27-09, 11:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

that is a GREAT (well-written) review.
what a fantastic car. car must be amazing to drive.

even though the lf-a will be fancier, i think the performance credentials of the gt-r sent lexus back to the drawing board. the gt-r's performance sets a VERY high bar.
Old 07-28-09, 04:21 AM
LexFather

Only a souless person can say the GT-R has no soul. WTF is up with this old *** Euro garbage "soul" argument???? They apply it when they want to and what they want.

GT-R is kickass and has soul like James Brown. Period. Deal with it fanbois that hate the GT-R!!

Old 07-28-09, 07:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Only a souless person can say the GT-R has no soul. WTF is up with this old *** Euro garbage "soul" argument???? They apply it when they want to and what they want.

GT-R is kickass and has soul like James Brown. Period. Deal with it fanbois that hate the GT-R!!
lol. the gt-r doesn't have much chrome i don't think, and certainly looks like there isn't any inside, and doesn't really have 'quirks' and the europeans can't really find fault with it, so they have to say it lacks soul. the car's a beast. i also think the GEEK interior turns off the (mostly) non-technical types that do car reviews.
Old 07-28-09, 08:14 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol at people who don't know what personality is
Old 07-28-09, 08:55 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FKL
lol at people who don't know what personality is
Would you mind elaborating?
Old 07-28-09, 09:05 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read this review yesterday and thought it was outstanding.
Old 07-28-09, 09:18 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

nevermind.
Old 07-28-09, 09:32 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nope

it doesn't have a soul

robots have no soul.
Old 07-28-09, 09:39 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This so called 'Soul' is the last defense barrier of Euro cars against the Japanese competition.

I remember when the NSX came out, most Euro mags wrote it off because it lacked this so called 'Soul' even though it had no electronic gadgetry and it outperformed the Ferrari 348 and Lotus Esprit Turbo

Yet, they never accused the Porsche 959 of lacking soul, even though it was extremely high tech for its time.
Old 07-28-09, 09:46 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
This so called 'Soul' is the last defense barrier of Euro cars against the Japanese competition.

I remember when the NSX came out, most Euro mags wrote it off because it lacked this so called 'Soul' even though it had no electronic gadgetry and it outperformed the Ferrari 348 and Lotus Esprit Turbo

Yet, they never accused the Porsche 959 of lacking soul, even though it was extremely high tech for its time.
My point exactly. Not just Europeans, but even people here in States who are so stuck up and can't comprehend the thought that a Japanese car is destroying their soulful cars.

What about the Veyron? Enzo? Zonda? These cars are some of the most technologically advance cars, yet I don't see no one questioning their soul?
Old 07-28-09, 10:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
something, like a soul, has to go to heaven when you get destroyed by a GTR
Old 07-28-09, 11:21 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

How much does a soul cost exactly? Maybe that's that extra price premium you're paying for with the Germans and Italians. I haven't checked the Porsche site lately but is there an "add soul package" in the "build your own Porsche" section?
Old 07-28-09, 11:24 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't buy soul, but I've purchased many cars.
Old 07-28-09, 11:26 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
Would you mind elaborating?
Haven't driven a GTR, won't even dare comment on how it feels.

But we all know where this is going - It's all about "feel", and "character" that differentiate some ho-hum Asian cars from European ones. This isn't applicable 100%, there are some great Japanese cars which will stirr your soul, but on average...come on. Camry/Accord put up against a Citroen C5? It's all about the flair. It't too easy on the internet to fall into only assessing numbers, but in the real world you have to assess the cars on more qualitative aspects.

Quick Reply: Does Godzilla have a soul??? Autoblog review of the 2010 Nissan GT-R