Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford to drop Explorer Sport Trac, Mountaineer

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 09:54 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...wait, they still sell Mountaineers and Explorer Sport Tracs?
Old 07-28-09, 10:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Dropping the Sable, though perhaps an attractive idea right now, I don't think will turn out to be a good idea in the long run. I elaborated on this in an earlier post above.....the Sable will probably be attractive to the huge number of Baby Boomers about to retire.
Obviously I know that generation better/extremely well, because I'm personally right in the middle of that huge number of Baby Boomers. I'm far closer to the generation. And there is no way any of my friends, close and distant familiy members, peers, coworkers have an interest (current and future) in a car as lame as the Sable. Dropping lame cars from lineups is one key method of avoiding business failure. As this generation (my huge generation of baby boomers) develops more gray hair we do not all become senile, fat, numb drivers of low performance, low quality, ugly land yachts.

I'm glad Ford, Toyota, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, to name a few pay close attention to the needs of my generation, because the numbers are too huge to ignore.
Old 07-28-09, 10:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by felixsc300
...wait, they still sell Mountaineers and Explorer Sport Tracs?
Good luck finding decent inventory to select from. Kind of like when I went to test-drive a Lincoln MKZ or whatever its called, they only had a couple to look at (and they admitted the demand was so low they purposely minimized stocking many).
Old 07-28-09, 10:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Obviously I know that generation better/extremely well, because I'm personally right in the middle of that huge number of Baby Boomers. I'm far closer to the generation.
Yes, I'm aware you are in that generation. You have mentioned it before. So am I.

As this generation (my huge generation of baby boomers) develops more gray hair we do not all become senile, fat, numb drivers of low performance, low quality, ugly land yachts.
Well, a lot of you guys here on CAR CHAT are crooning about the new Taurus about to be released. The Sable, with the exception of the Taurus SHO, would have been the same car, had it had not been dropped.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-28-09 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-28-09, 10:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good luck finding decent inventory to select from. Kind of like when I went to test-drive a Lincoln MKZ or whatever its called, they only had a couple to look at (and they admitted the demand was so low they purposely minimized stocking many).
Do you want an MKZ review? There are some new ones in this area, and I can probably get my hands on one.
Old 07-28-09, 10:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I'm aware you are in that generation. You have mentioned it before. So am I.

Well, a lot of you guys here on CAR CHAT are crooning about the new Taurus about to be released. The Sable, with the exception of the Taurus SHO, would have been the same car, had it had not been dropped.
Yes, but I'm square in the sweet spot or the biggest block of population of that generation and I know the business and political implications that go with it.

Thankfully there are no common parts to previous crap Tortioise/Sable. My generation is crooning about a new contemporary Taurus to be released, agreed. Sounds like Ford is paying attention again.
Old 07-28-09, 10:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Do you want an MKZ review? There are some new ones in this area, and I can probably get my hands on one.
No thanks. I drove one and it was okay. But even with my huge insider discounts, I couldn't justify buying from an economic standpoint, the rate of depreciation would be beyond bad, typical of lower demand vehicles.

Correction: Sorry, I was talking about the MKX (the name was so forgettable, not too slick from a marketing perspective), the rebadged/rebodies Ford Edge.

Last edited by IS-SV; 07-28-09 at 10:32 PM. Reason: correction MKX (not MKZ)
Old 07-28-09, 11:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

garbage belongs in the trash. I am sure nobody will even notice they are missing.
Old 07-29-09, 05:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Correction: Sorry, I was talking about the MKX (the name was so forgettable, not too slick from a marketing perspective), the rebadged/rebodies Ford Edge.
If this is what you test-drove, then, yes, it is an upmarket version of the Edge....but with a MUCH better interior.

The MKX replaces the Aviator, which did not sell well. It didn't sell because it was essentially a downsized Navigator for almost as much money.
Old 07-29-09, 05:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
garbage belongs in the trash. I am sure nobody will even notice they are missing.
The government will surely notice. They haven't had to give Ford (or Lincoln/Mercury, for that matter) any bailout money. Can't say that for a lot of Ford's competition.
Old 07-29-09, 07:35 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

If this is what you test-drove, then, yes, it is an upmarket version of the Edge....but with a MUCH better interior.

The MKX replaces the Aviator, which did not sell well. It didn't sell because it was essentially a downsized Navigator for almost as much money.
Yes I drove the MKX (what a lame forgettable name for a car), essentially a rebadged and rebodied Edge with a nicer interior as you noted.

The Aviator was not a downsized Navigator, it was a rebodied Explorer with a Mustang "Mach-whatever V8", a very sweet motor. I drove one and the careful suspension tuning and powerful engine made it very nice to drive, but the gas mileage was bad at old EPA rating of 13/18. But like the MKX it sold poorly.
Old 07-29-09, 08:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I read that there is a lot of confusion with the new Lincoln designations. MKZ, MKS and MKX. I'm getting confused just typing them.
Old 07-29-09, 09:12 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I read that there is a lot of confusion with the new Lincoln designations. MKZ, MKS and MKX. I'm getting confused just typing them.
Obviously somebody needs to get fired there. The car-buying public can't tell one from the other either, or they simply don't care.

June sales were pathetic of these alphabet soup cars:

MKS 1,365
MKZ 2,114
MKX 1,668
Old 07-29-09, 12:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Obviously somebody needs to get fired there. The car-buying public can't tell one from the other either, or they simply don't care.

June sales were pathetic of these alphabet soup cars:

MKS 1,365
MKZ 2,114
MKX 1,668
Lincoln's alphabet system probably isn't any worse then Acura's or Cadillac's. All three take some getting used to.
Old 07-29-09, 12:34 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps its the way my brain is wired, but I've never had a problem with these companies lettered system. Though, I do miss when car companies used to use names on their cars.

Quick Reply: Ford to drop Explorer Sport Trac, Mountaineer