Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford to drop Explorer Sport Trac, Mountaineer

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 12:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The Aviator was not a downsized Navigator, it was a rebodied Explorer with a Mustang "Mach-whatever V8", a very sweet motor.
Yes, I know the Aviator was done on a different, smaller platform than the Navigator. The reason I described it as a "downsized" Navigator is that the looks were strongly similiar. In fact, the Aviator's pricing, despite being on a smaller platform, was pretty close to the Navigator's.....a rather poor value in the eyes of the general public, who generally shunned it. In fact, that is also why the BMW 1-series is not selling better...the public sees it as a smaller car than the 3-series, but more or less similiarly priced.
Old 07-29-09, 12:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I know the Aviator was done on a different, smaller platform than the Navigator. The reason I described it as a "downsized" Navigator is that the looks were strongly similiar.
I see what you mean, more like a downsized Navigator, not derived from a Navigator.

The Aviator was simply derived from the Explorer (which is a different platform). Ford feels that most buyers saw it as an Explorer, since it retained the roof and doors of the cheaper Explorer. But underneath were actually some expensive parts, including Mustang Mach X engine, suspension parts, steering parts that typical unsophisticated SUV buyers would never appreciate without driving.
Old 07-29-09, 12:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

In fact, that is also why the BMW 1-series is not selling better...the public sees it as a smaller car than the 3-series, but more or less similiarly priced.
Yes, not to mention that it looks like crap compared to a 3-series coupe or 'vert.
Old 07-29-09, 01:21 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 236 Posts

Lincoln's alphabet system probably isn't any worse then Acura's or Cadillac's. All three take some getting used to.
In Cadillac's case, I find them easy to remember because, for the most part, they're based on real names. Some of them used to be trim lines, in fact.

DTS: Deville Touring Sedan
STS: Seville Touring Sedan
CTS: Catera Touring Sedan

Etc. etc. Of those, only the Catera never carried the 3-letter logo simultaneously with the actual name (thankfully, since it was such a disaster). The XLR and SRX don't have that history to fall back on, but LR probably means "Luxury Roadster", and since the SRX is the only SUV they make that bears only a 3-letter name (the EXT and ESV are still called Escalade), it's covered by process of elimination.

By contrast, Lincoln made Mark I-VIII and Mark LT (Luxury Truck, I'm assuming), but they never made a Mark S, Mark X, or Mark Z, to the best of my knowledge. So their particular brand of alphabet soup is basically meaningless to me. By that measure, Acura should be about as confusing. The only reason I can think of that they're not is because they've been doing it so long (13 years) so I've sort of gotten used to it.
Old 07-29-09, 01:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Lincoln's alphabet system probably isn't any worse then Acura's or Cadillac's. All three take some getting used to.
Cadillac (and Lexus and Mercedes) do it better with unique 1st alpha characters, so it's easier to get used to.

Acura's is not so good, but most enthusiasts here know one from the other.

Lincoln's naming probably has the worst results, most enthusiasts here or anywhere else don't know or don't care which Mxx is what in the Lincoln lineup., and look at the dismal sales too.
Old 07-29-09, 01:27 PM
LexFather

I have to admit I confuse a few names as of late. I wish Acura, Lincoln, Caddy kept the damn names.

Old 07-29-09, 01:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Perhaps its the way my brain is wired, but I've never had a problem with these companies lettered system. Though, I do miss when car companies used to use names on their cars.
I generally don't have a problem with alpha/numeric naming either. So I wasn't making a blanket statement against alpha/numeric naming. The naming systems of Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti work very well for me. Maybe my brain is wired like yours, so I appreciate some intelligence in the naming conventions.

Although cool names like Carerra, Mustang, Camaro, Pantera, Elan..........., gotta luv it............
Old 07-30-09, 12:47 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes, not to mention that it looks like crap compared to a 3-series coupe or 'vert.
I think the prices are similar enough to get most people to say they'd rather spend the extra 4 K and get the full car. The 1 series still looks like the 3 series with its *** cut off
Old 07-30-09, 07:23 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The 1 series still looks like the 3 series with its *** cut off
Yes, 1 series is kinda half-assed.
Old 07-30-09, 09:40 AM
LexFather

Yes, 1 series is kinda half-assed.
Odd cause I like the 1 series and butts

Old 07-30-09, 10:42 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cadillac (and Lexus and Mercedes) do it better with unique 1st alpha characters, so it's easier to get used to.
Mercedes used to be numbers first then letters. This changed sometime in the 90's to letters first then number. There has to be some prestige or marketing avantage for Mercedes to move the letters before the numbers.
Old 07-30-09, 01:27 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by geko29
By contrast, Lincoln made Mark I-VIII and Mark LT (Luxury Truck, I'm assuming), but they never made a Mark S, Mark X, or Mark Z, to the best of my knowledge.
The Z in MKZ comes from the Zephyr name. The most recent use of the Zephyr name was only for one model year, 2006.

Acura's is not so good, but most enthusiasts here know one from the other.

Lincoln's naming probably has the worst results, most enthusiasts here or anywhere else don't know or don't care which Mxx is what in the Lincoln lineup., and look at the dismal sales too.
The Lincoln MKS has consistently placed 3rd behind the 5 series and E-class, easily outselling the GS, A6, Infiniti M, and RL since its release.

With that said, I think both Lincoln and Acura made a mistake switching to the Alphabet soup naming convention.
Old 07-30-09, 01:34 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Mercedes used to be numbers first then letters. This changed sometime in the 90's to letters first then number. There has to be some prestige or marketing avantage for Mercedes to move the letters before the numbers.
even though im quite familiar with the mercury brand the names were a fail. but the grand marquis isnt that bad very popular for the fleets or for elderly people. but i did like the mercury marauder the only intresting car in there lineup
Old 07-30-09, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
even though im quite familiar with the mercury brand the names were a fail. but the grand marquis isnt that bad very popular for the fleets or for elderly people. but i did like the mercury marauder the only intresting car in there lineup
I test-drove a Marauder when it first came out. It was essentially a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis with jet-black paint/trim and a somewhat drummed-down version of the Police package on it. It drove pretty much like a regular family Grand Marquis with a few more horses and perhaps slightly more stiffness in the suspension. Nothing really exciting.