Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford to drop Explorer Sport Trac, Mountaineer

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 06:04 AM
LexFather

Post Ford to drop Explorer Sport Trac, Mountaineer

Ford to drop Explorer Sport Trac, Mountaineer

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-to-...untaineer.html
07/27/2009, 1:56 PMBy Andrew Ganz
Ford Motor Company will apparently stop production of the Ford Explorer Sport Trac pickup and the Mercury Mountaineer SUV (pictured) about this time next year when the automaker retools its Louisville, Kentucky, assembly plant to build the new unibody Ford Explorer.

The move, hardly a surprise given the dwindling sales of the two models, will give more capacity for other vehicles at the Louisville plant.

Mercury managed to move just 10,596 Mountaineers last year. Essentially a rebadged version of the Explorer, the Mountaineer was conceived for the 1997 model year during the SUV boom in an effort to stretch automaker’s lineup. When the Mountaineer goes, Mercury will be left with just a trio of products: The aging Grand Marquis, the Mariner and the recently redesigned Milan. It is possible that Ford will create a version of the Edge/Lincoln MKZ for Mercury dealers to sell.

Demand for the Sport Trac, which is grouped together with the Explorer in the automaker’s sales figures, has dropped from about 60,000 units annually to a pace that will likely top out at around 10,000 units this year.

Old 07-28-09, 07:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

mercury is ford's 'buick' but with little effort behind it. and the milan's front end is hideous. but the mercury grand marquis is certainly an iconic brand name.
Old 07-28-09, 07:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That junk won't be missed. Eliminate the dead/dieing products.
Old 07-28-09, 08:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

damn IS-SV beat me to it
Old 07-28-09, 08:23 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by is-sv
that junk won't be missed. Eliminate the Mercury brand.
Much agreed!
Old 07-28-09, 09:14 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Much agreed!
For sure, no matter how you do the math from a business standpoint the Mercury division cannot be justified.
Old 07-28-09, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

No, it's not time for Mercury to throw in the towel just yet. If Buick, as I suspect, turns off a lot of potential older, traditional buyers with the new 2010 LaCrosse, and Cadillac does the same thing by dropping the DTS, Mercury may find an emerging, potentially larger market for the Sable and Grand Marquis. Lincoln might (?) have also benefitted from this, but they were foolish enough to restrict the Town Car to limo/fleet-sales only now.
Old 07-28-09, 10:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I dont see the point of Mercury when Lincoln exists
Old 07-28-09, 10:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
For sure, no matter how you do the math from a business standpoint the Mercury division cannot be justified.
The problem is that the math/buisness conditions that will likely exist several years from now could be (and very likely will be) quite different from what they are today. Today, as you note, dropping Mercury would probably be tossing out just the bath water, but (see my above post), if Mercury finds a new market for its Sable and Grand Marquis (which there is a significant chance for), you could be tossing out the baby along with it.

We saw what happened to Chrysler after their buisness managers at Mercedes decided to cut the Plymouth and Eagle divisions. The company went into a tailspin that it never recovered from, forcing M-B to sell off the company......and which led to bankrupcy. After Oldsmobile was dropped at GM, they likewise went into a several-year tailspin, and also ended up in bankrupy. GM, I'm afraid, is making the same mistake with Saturn...instead of doing what they should have done and brought back the superb Saturn plastic-body vehicles, they foolishly just dumped the whole division altogether and sold it.

It's interesting to note that Ford, unlike GM and Chrysler dropping some of their divisions, has NOT dropped the Mercury division.....and, unlike them, has avoided bankrupy and actually turned a 2.3B profit in the second quarter.
Old 07-28-09, 11:00 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mercury is big in the midwest (at least in my hometown).

It says 'I buy American but Ford is no longer cool enough for me'
Old 07-28-09, 11:02 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

no more exploder to roll over on the highways anymore...good riddance
Old 07-28-09, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kaydee
no more exploder to roll over on the highways anymore...good riddance
Irrelevant today. That problem was solved a number of years ago by better tires, a chassis/suspension redesign, and, of course, more sensible driving, tire PSI checks, and vehicle loading on the part of owners.
Old 07-28-09, 11:07 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The problem is that the math/buisness conditions that will likely exist several years from now could be (and very likely will be) quite different from what they are today. Today, as you note, dropping Mercury would probably be tossing out just the bath water, but (see my above post), if Mercury finds a new market for its Sable and Grand Marquis (which there is a significant chance for), you could be tossing out the baby along with it.

We saw what happened to Chrysler after their buisness managers at Mercedes decided to cut the Plymouth and Eagle divisions. The company went into a tailspin that it never recovered from, forcing M-B to sell off the company......and which led to bankrupcy. After Oldsmobile was dropped at GM, they likewise went into a several-year tailspin, and also ended up in bankrupy. GM, I'm afraid, is making the same mistake with Saturn...instead of doing what they should have done and brought back the superb Saturn plastic-body vehicles, they foolishly just dumped the whole division altogether and sold it.

It's interesting to note that Ford, unlike GM and Chrysler dropping some of their divisions, has NOT dropped the Mercury division.....and, unlike them, has avoided bankrupy and actually turned a 2.3B profit in the second quarter.
Not a very good business case above, but certainly a lot of trivia and misc. info about Chrysler, Saturn, Eagle, Olds, Plymouth. Certainly some good examples of where not to take a car company.

But like any good auto company, they can save Mercury with competitive vehicles and I think that is the intended path. I'm from a Ford family myself since 1965 and know plenty about their history and business. And Ford's performance on US car operations have been mediocre at best despite current state of Mercury, but they are trying hard to change that.
Old 07-28-09, 11:09 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought Ford was going to begin selling European Ford's as Mercury's. ...I think that Mercury should become a small, all hybrid niche brand.

MERCURY BRAND JUNE 2009 U.S. SALES
----------------------------------

June % Year-To-Date %
---- ------------
2009 2008 Change 2009 2008 Change
---- ---- ------ ---- ---- ------

Grand Marquis 1,639 2,548 -35.7 11,572 16,741 -30.9
Sable 502 2,121 -76.3 5,365 9,426 -43.1
Milan 2,390 2,973 -19.6 12,889 20,426 -36.9
Mariner 2,371 2,975 -20.3 12,215 18,554 -34.2
Mountaineer 430 1,040 -58.7 2,653 7,448 -64.4
---- ---- ---- ----

Mercury Brand 7,332 11,657 -37.1 44,694 72,595 -38.4

Last edited by SLegacy99; 07-28-09 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-28-09, 11:14 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Irrelevant today. That problem was solved a number of years ago by better tires, a chassis/suspension redesign, and, of course, more sensible driving, tire PSI checks, and vehicle loading on the part of owners.
Agreed, Ford paid millions in settlements, ancient history now. Since then Ford actually did proper engineering to improve safety aspects on SUV's (not the case with the original Explorer and Bronco II).

Quick Reply: Ford to drop Explorer Sport Trac, Mountaineer