Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 11:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by felixsc300
LOL.

10char
lol!!!

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
the interior will be loved by the type of people that buy these cars.
Says it all!

Old 07-29-09, 05:51 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely like the interior more than the exterior. I think I am the only one that like a dashboard with a million buttons on it.
Old 07-29-09, 06:01 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Me Too

Originally Posted by wmb0000
I think I am the only one that like a dashboard with a million buttons on it.
You are not alone. I actually like buttons bc that means that there are more options or things to play w/ (guess I am bit of a tech geek). If there are not a lot of buttons, it seems like a cheap base model Yaris or something where things are just missing from the dash:

Also, being lazy, I rather just hit one button on the dash than go thru a menu that requires more time.

Of course, the buttons still need to be arranged in an aesthetically appeasing way.
Old 07-29-09, 06:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

This is where Lexus really excel, Lexus' controls are simple and intuitive, unless the starship enterprise dash board in the new MDX.
Old 07-29-09, 06:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dont be too excited. I've always said Lexus makes the best, the most easy to use controls, but thats simply no longer the case with their new mouse controller, that will most likely find its way into the entire range.

Honda/Acura used to make controls just as good as Lexus, until recent. Its a trend with all the manufacturers, better get used to it.
Old 07-29-09, 06:43 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Dont be too excited. I've always said Lexus makes the best, the most easy to use controls, but thats simply no longer the case with their new mouse controller, that will most likely find its way into the entire range.
I think you might be the only person that feels that way to be honest . Everyone on the forum who has tried Remote Touch absolutely loves it and every mag that has tested it declares it to be THE SOLUTION to iDrive, MMI, COMAND, etc. That is quite an achievement.

I was skeptical at first because IMO these types of systems are typically nonsense but at the RX launch event here in Atlanta, Mike and I both had a chance to play with Remote Touch for a period of time and both really liked it. It's very intuitive, icons click into place, it feels natural, and it's simple to use while all the buttons for HVAC and radio are still at your fingertips. The only time you HAVE to use it is for the nav.
Old 07-29-09, 06:45 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not to fond of the exterior but the interior is ok. I don't mind the buttons and yes I work in IT.
Old 07-29-09, 07:04 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think you might be the only person that feels that way to be honest . Everyone on the forum who has tried Remote Touch absolutely loves it and every mag that has tested it declares it to be THE SOLUTION to iDrive, MMI, COMAND, etc. That is quite an achievement.

I was skeptical at first because IMO these types of systems are typically nonsense but at the RX launch event here in Atlanta, Mike and I both had a chance to play with Remote Touch for a period of time and both really liked it. It's very intuitive, icons click into place, it feels natural, and it's simple to use while all the buttons for HVAC and radio are still at your fingertips. The only time you HAVE to use it is for the nav.
Well I havent used it on the RX, but I used it on the HS, and I found it horrible. First of all because of the enormous size screen you loose the small simple LCD with simple, basic readout for radio/hvac/clock. And while the buttons for these basic functions are still there, the readout isnt always on the screen, and its rather complicated when it is on the screen.

But the worse part is the mouse thing. It might be easier to understand and more intuitive than i-drive, but trying to drive and move the mouse over an icon is just ridiculous, it keeps your eyes completely off the road. I think most people that praise it have only used it when the car was standing still in the showroom. Try using it while driving and see if you still like it.
Old 07-29-09, 08:36 AM
LexFather

Remote Touch is pretty damn incredible and user friendly. I prefer touchscreen's myself but it is like using a mouse. Every review has said it is BY FAR the best system and why didn't anyone think of it before.

I have no issues with a few buttons but I do like a dash that isn't overwhelmed with them. I really like my drop down panel in my GS which hides not often used buttons.

Old 07-29-09, 08:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I like the old touch screen intead of the new Lexus mouse system too, except for the finger prints. Och is right, it too hard to nav. the mouse pointer while you are driving compare to the touch screen. Also MPLexus is right about the mouse control being much easier to use than the iDrive, MMI and the MB COMAND.