Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda's Insight hybrid stalls in sales race with Toyota's Prius

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 11:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Insight seems like a rushed attempt to capitalize on the success of the Prius (although there was a very different earlier Insight, perhaps ahead of its time). Maybe a 3rd gen Insight will be a more worthy rival.
Old 07-30-09, 11:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GFerg
Has anyone really been asking for a cheaper hybrid though? Dont get me wrong, value is always a major factor when car shopping (the lower the cost the better, I get it), but it does not seem like people had a problem paying the 20-22K price for a hybrid. It seems like people wanted hybrids that offered more features and amenities. Where was the demand for a cheaper hybrid?

And of course as many people have already pointed out, its not like the Insight is drastically cheaper either.
G, your point is valid and we have discussed it. Looking at hybrids, they all are pretty upmarket, from the Prius IV/V packages, to the Lexus hybrids, the old Accord hybrid, Durango/Tahoe etc hybrids. THey are seen are "range" toppers.

Honda tried to go cheap and lost. The demographics support hybrid buyers have higher disposable income.

Originally Posted by encore888
The Insight seems like a rushed attempt to capitalize on the success of the Prius (although there was a very different earlier Insight, perhaps ahead of its time). Maybe a 3rd gen Insight will be a more worthy rival.
THe thing is they had YEARS to launch this car.

Old 08-04-09, 01:02 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

another sporty looking Insight....... that goes really slow.

Old 08-04-09, 03:04 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That make sense - I was wondering why I hadn't seen any Insights in my area (as opposed to at least a couple new Priuses). It seems that the Prius has an air of glamour about it (Hollywood stars drive it!) - it's almost a luxury car. Honda, by marketing the car to Joe Public, lost this sense of exclusivity. I'm not saying that all hybrid owners are image-conscious, but I'll bet it plays a bigger role than Honda realized.

Just my 0.02.
Old 08-04-09, 06:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So one of my Toyota salesman calls yesterday to tell me they finally have a new Prius on the lot for a few hours that hasn't been pre-sold.

He calls me back in two hours to tell me "don't come by, its sold"

Damn that was fast!
I had the same experience reviewing the new Prius. I had to look over and test-drive a bright red Phase V model one morning while it was still available (the only new Prius in the area)....it was sold just a couple of hours later. I ended up not only reviewing it, but explaining its features (and history) to a number of interested people right there next to me.
Old 08-04-09, 06:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
I find all this "Honda is run by engineers" talk to be worth almost nothing. It is blatantly obvious that cost cutting has taken the drivers seat over the last five years at the company. The Fit, the new Accord, the Pilot, this absurd "Insight" - they all feel cheap right down the last bolt - road noise is abundant, body panels feel flimbsy, the interiors are barn yards of hardplastics disguised in swooping lines...I could go on and on - The Honda logo used to equate to quality construction but now only seems to mean bizarre and cheap.
Honda, contrary to your post, still has quality construction, if you look at assembly quality and the precision with with parts fit and operate. I can often recognize a Honda control **** or switch, blindfolded, simply by sense and feeling alone (the same is true of non-active BMW power steering). But, you are correct, especially with the Fit and Insight, about cheap-feeling, over-plasticized interior trim. But, in the Honda line, that is more confined to the small entry-level cars than it is the Civic and Accord. More upmarket Hondas have nicer materials inside. Road noise, as you note, is sometimes higher in Honda products than in their competition, but that is more a factor of the amount of insulation they use, not how well they actually build or assemble the car. The Kia Soul I reviewed a few days ago, for example, also had high road noise, but that was not a factor of poor asembly quality either....just a simple lack of insulation.

The days of VTEC being some unique feature are long gone, the competition has moved far ahead and Honda, focusing on their conservative approach to technology, has fallen behind.
That's true with the VTEC, but Honda, recently, has been putting most of their development dollars into other types of engine designs. With the FCX, they are going to be the first mainstream manufacturer in America with a street-ready hydrogen fuel-cell car (Mercedes might be, in Europe). The Honda FCX is already operating now, under lease, in some areas. The only thing really holding it back, right now, is the lack of a hydrogen-refilling infrastructure.
Old 08-04-09, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm glad people in this forum are admitting what the real problem is... and that is Honda styling. And I personally agree, the styling of the Insight is flat out ugly.
And the Prius isn't?

IMO, the Prius is no better-looking than the Insight, and the Prius interior, in a number of ways, is even worse. The only real advantages of the Prius over the Insight, from what I have found, are more back-seat room and a smoother, more sophisticated, more efficient hybrid drivetrain.
Old 08-04-09, 08:24 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Twan0690
They built a half-assed Prius clone and it failed...Surprised?

everything but the MPG....
Old 08-04-09, 09:42 AM
LexFather

Mike I find the Prius this go round actually attractive. What makes me hate it is the silly greenie ads on T.V

Old 08-04-09, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike I find the Prius this go round actually attractive.
Maybe that is just a difference in our styling tastes. I've never liked wedge or bullet-shaped styling, and both the Insight and Prius are rather extreme examples of each.

However, as with most automotive matters, I respect your opinon.
Old 08-04-09, 01:57 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Honda rushed the powertrain, it seems a little weak and way too rough from what people are saying. Also, the back seat is a loser, I've tried it and it's nowhere near as useful as the Prius bench.

A lost opportunity due to those two major mistakes. One other thing I didn't like was the look of the seat fabric. It's comfortable enough, but it looks very rough and downmarket. Mazda have better seat fabrics.

Last edited by superchan7; 08-04-09 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-04-09, 02:12 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

The prius front looks good, the rear looks completely the same but more boxed. I actually prefer the old rear better.

As for the prius running off the lots, everytime i pass by my toyota dealer on my way to work, i see at least 15 of them on the lot. Dont know if they are presold, but they are definately there in inventory. However, i see at least 3 everyday here