Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just don't understand why Camry can outsell Accord.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 06:53 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by leedogg
funny how 'sheep' is used frequently around here to describe honda/acura buyers, but if this isnt the definition of sheep, I dont know what is.
Funny, your post is the first to mention sheep in this thread.

In case you missed it, this is a Lexus forum.... you'd have an opposite bias on any Acura/Honda enthusiast site. And you are painting the entire community here with a VERY broad brush based on the comments of just a handful of members.

Please learn to EXPECT some bias on an internet site aligned with enthusiasts for a particular make and stop the posting complaining about it (at least on our forum, going to complain somewhere else is fine with me ).... it just leads to locked threads and ongoing flaming.

If you want to discuss this more, you can PM me. Otherwise keep this thread on topic.
Old 07-29-09, 07:12 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, lets consider fleet sales, and also I believe there are more Toyota dealers than there are Honda dealers. Also, Honda dealers are usually stubborn and arent willing to negotiate as much.

Overall I think Accord is a better built car, and generally uses better materials. But in the loaded versions of Accord vs Camry, the leather in the Camry is almost Lexus grade, while the leather in Accord is cheap and ugly, with awful grain and wears out fast.
Old 07-29-09, 07:26 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure if Accord is more expensive than a camry...Fully loaded camry with all the options are probably close to $35k

I do agree that leather on camry looks much better with better feel as compared to accord.

I've noticed Accords/Civics paint have more orange peel than a toyota product!
Old 07-29-09, 07:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Salil022
Not sure if Accord is more expensive than a camry...Fully loaded camry with all the options are probably close to $35k
35k??? I think it tops out at around 28.
Old 07-29-09, 07:41 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Toyota (despite the rapidly cheapening interiors outside the Venza) has had a good couple of decades. Honda on the other hand had those transmission problems in the late 90s and early 2000s. People that shop in this category are likely to be repeat buyers when a few generations have passed and their last car wears out.

That being the case, some Honda owners may or may not have been turned off to the car because of those tranny problems. I know my parents won't buy a Honda product because my 2000 V6 Accord had the tranny die twice in 1 week (1 was the actual failure 1 was due to improper installation @ the stealer). Sure everything was covered under warranty, but it was still a big inconvenience and it turned them off the brand.

The reason Accord sales are climbing back up are probably because: 1) the repeat buyers who skipped the faulty transmission generation are about due for a new car. 2) People assume/did research and found that the quality has gone back up.

Of course this is a huge generalization and definitely isn't applicable to all people
Old 07-29-09, 07:46 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Simple:

NASCAR

Last edited by Debonair; 07-29-09 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 07:48 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have driven and owned both at one time or another and prefer the Camry over the Accord. Camry, driving experience, just felt more comfortable in everyday driving and noise isolation level in this car was alot better than in the accord. As a daily driver, if I needed to choose between these 2 cars, Camry woulld still win. Although of late, the styling of the Camry has not been too appealing to me, except in SE form only, I can't hate on the Accord. It has truly come a long way and has become a more desired vehicle than what it was. Still,just something about the Accord that is not really desireable to me as a daily.
Old 07-29-09, 07:56 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's important to consider that the Camry really offers something for everyone while the Accord is kind of a "one size fits all" product.

Camry/Camry LE - very basic, fuel efficient, reliable, right sized, right priced transportation

Camry SE - Sportier, visually quite different from the other Camrys, more fun to drive, different interior pieces and overall personality.

I have seen many reviews consider the Camry SE V6 the best driving midsize sedan for enthusiasts- not the Altima, not the Passat, but the Camry. Even the Toyota/Lexus hating TTAC had this to say:

Combined with standard 17” wheels, even the SE’s (supposedly unchanged) steering feels ideally weighted and more accurate than its LE brother. Going with the refined body motions, braking is more controlled and distinctly easy on nose dive. To say this model moves better than other Camry’s is disingenuous; the SE could be the best handling family sedan in the country
Camry XLE - For the ES/TL/LaCrosse buyer who doesn't quite want to hop over to a near luxury car, top notch features and luxury amenities, a 8/10th of the way Lexus ES.

Camry Hybrid - Fantastic gas mileage, cool technology, appeals to the geeky hybrid crowd as well as commuters with a little extra $$ to spare.

The Camry really does come a few different flavors whereas the Accord only comes in Vanilla, but you can choose sprinkles or chocolate fudge toppings

As far as the sales numbers are concerned, the Accord also has the highly successful Accord Coupe included in it's sales numbers. The Solara has floundered off in recent years and has now been killed. The Camry sedan is selling against the Accord sedan and coupe. Here in Atlanta the ratio of Accord sedans to coupes is probably around 10:1 and while that is hardly a scientific number, I am sure the coupe makes up for a sizeable chunk of sales.

Old 07-29-09, 08:02 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

i guess i was wrong...XLE package tops out at $29xxx
Old 07-29-09, 08:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by geko29
Read the wisdom of 1SICKLEX. The Accord wins magazine comparos because it handles better. They don't give a rat's *** about space, amenities, ride comfort or anything else people who actually spend their own money on cars care about. It's a sham. Real people don't buy an Accord or Camry to carve canyons or blast around Road America. They buy it to drive to work and to take their family on vacation. Most auto journalists totally overlook the target market of every vehicle they review, and just pretend it's a Ferrari with less horsepower. The one that has the shortest list of compromises compared to the 599 GTB wins...every time.
I'm flatttered! I don't really understand this internet and C&D aka Honda & BMW mag argument of the Accord being so sporty. Its huge now for one and its like saying warm kool aid is tastier than hot kool aid. With no sugar. If you want sport, you will buy NEITHER. The difference was bigger in the past, today, not so much. The Accord (which I've reviewed and I actually do think is better than the Camry) is just as much a "Taurus" as the Camry has become.

As Mike stated at least you can get a SE Camry and the Camry Hybrid is a hit. The Camry Hybrid is an additional 3-6k units a month.

Originally Posted by GS69
Believe it or not, the gap b/n the 2 has been getting smaller ... @ least acording to this article: EGMCarTech:
The margin between the two cars is the smallest since 2003. Honda has been closing the gaps for the past two years says WardsAuto. In 2008, the Camry beat the Accord by 63,828 units, down from 80,877 in 2007 and 94,004 in 2006.
This is something that I have been noticing for a while tho, cars that get better reviews & win comparos tend to sell worse than their rival. This applies to the Accord/Civic vs Camry/Corolla as well as the Pilot/CR-V/Odyssey vs the Highlander/Rav-4/Sienna. Guess it proves the general public are not enthusiasts as those are generally the type of people that do reviews/comparos.

Sigh, what the article and people fail to forget is the reason the gap is closing is not because of the sedan. Its b/c the Accord coupe totally owns the Camry Solara coupe and the Solara coupe is getting discontinued.

That explains the difference.

Old 07-29-09, 08:40 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one like both the same. If I were to cross shop these, price would be my priority since both are very similar in term of reliability and ease of use as a daily driver. Which ever dealership give me a better deal I will take.
Old 07-29-09, 08:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If the current camry is made by Dodge with the same quality, do you think it would still be the #1 selling sedan in the US? People who dont know much about cars will always bet on a sure thing, and that sure thing is the Toyota badge.
Old 07-29-09, 09:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
If the current camry is made by Dodge with the same quality, do you think it would still be the #1 selling sedan in the US? People who dont know much about cars will always bet on a sure thing, and that sure thing is the Toyota badge.
If the Accord was rebadged a Chrysler, yup the Dodge Camry would outsell the Chrysler Accord.

The sure this is also the 3 series, the RX, the F-150, the Corvette, etc etc.

I agree though some with what you are saying and I've said it many times. Americans seem to automatically assume the import is better. Its good though to see the Fusion really make some inroads in this segment.

Old 07-29-09, 09:06 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Camry is better.

It simply appeals to the greatest number of people. The Camry is what Americans want.

It's not even that close anymore...

Camry YTD: 150,242

Accord YTD: 131,043
Camry YTD: 150,242
All Other Mid-Sized YTD: 588,000

For every one person that picked a Camry, four others opted not to pick a Camry. One could argue then that most Americans looking for a midsized family sedan don't want a Camry.
Old 07-29-09, 09:11 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
As Mike stated at least you can get a SE Camry and the Camry Hybrid is a hit. The Camry Hybrid is an additional 3-6k units a month.
Actually the Camry Hybrid, at least in 2009, is averaging a little over 2k units a month.

June 2009 Hybrid Sales

Quick Reply: Just don't understand why Camry can outsell Accord.