Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just don't understand why Camry can outsell Accord.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 06:57 PM
teeder27
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think was Phil is saying is there are those that will cross shop and buy the Euro Accord (TSX) over the USDM Accord hurting Accord sales b/c the two cars prices can be the same. A TSX can be had under 30k like an Accord EX V-6.

This is a really good point no one has mentioned yet. It does seem people love the fact their Camry is related to a Lexus. The Lexus "halo" glows down onto the Camry. Very good observation!

Do u have a link to support what you are saying?

Look at this. Altima is the rental king.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...domestics.html
I don't have a link to support what I said. I have first hand experience. I run a large rental car store and can tell you first hand that the price paid for a Camry is MUCH less than sticker. The price paid for an Accord is basically sticker. I have been told in many different fleet planning meetings that Honda does not want their cars "*****d out" into rental fleets and that is why they are not discounted at all. Of the Accords that have come and gone through my fleet (all 10 of them in 5 years), they have all been re-purchase cars, meaning that the dealership takes them back after a predetermined amount of time or miles, which was usually around 12K, enough time for them to become "used" but not fall apart yet. For every Accord in the fleet, there are aproximatley 10 Camry's.

Last edited by teeder27; 07-29-09 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 07:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

That's what I've been saying all along too. Honda rarely sells to fleet and if they do, it's a VERY small number due to pricing. In fact, fleet sale sale counts towards retail sales also. Take out the fleets for both camry and accord, and you should have two very close sales number.

civic vs corolla is no different either, although corolla sells more since their lineup is cheaper vs the equivalent civic..
Old 07-29-09, 07:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Allen K
No he's saying that Lexus' success helps fuel Toyota sales. Instead of "The people that make Toyota also make Lexus" it becomes "The people that make Lexus also make Toyota"
Thank you and please ignore him. He is only here to post pro Honda stuff, twist words, incite flames and already had a post deleted in this thread.

Its no different than the guy in the 320 who has "M3" aspirations and loves the fact that BMW produces such cars and has great success. They want to be associated with the "halo" the "M" cars represent.

This is not like a new finding or anything. We just never really talked about it before and its a great point.

My cousin and her husband for instance are Toyota/Lexus fans but didn't have one. They looked at a bunch of midsize cars last fall. In talking to both (and my cousin is a car chick) they WILL EVENTUALLY get a Lexus but for right now they decided to get the almost Lexus in a Camry SE. Rarely is the ES actually mentioned in conversation. What is mentioned is LEXUS and how they will buy one next go round.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-29-09 at 07:38 PM.

Old 07-29-09, 07:40 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Thank you and please ignore him. He is only here to post pro Honda stuff, twist words, incite flames and already had a post deleted in this thread.

Its no different than the guy in the 320 who has "M3" aspirations and loves the fact that BMW produces such cars and has great success. They want to be associated with the "halo" the "M" cars represent.

This is not like a new finding or anything. We just never really talked about it before and its a great point.
I dont think i've ever posted a pro honda anything. Merely defended them from unwarranted bashing or hypocritical thinking as I've seen necessary.
Old 07-29-09, 07:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by leedogg
I dont think i've ever posted a pro honda anything. Merely defended them from unwarranted bashing or hypocritical thinking as I've seen necessary.
lol wut? Here are your posts. You even started a thread we had to close that was pro-Honda/Acura.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=4087962

Any member can review and see that 90% of your posts are in Honda/Acura threads, like this one. Amazing you popped up for this thread to have a post deleted and to TWIST my words.

FWIW I think the Accord is better than the Camry.
You won't quote that though. You will only post/twist and flame what you disagree with.

You guys really need to take some sort of debate course.

Old 07-29-09, 08:21 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

lol wut? Here are your posts. You even started a thread we had to close that was pro-Honda/Acura.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=4087962

Any member can review and see that 90% of your posts are in Honda/Acura threads, like this one. Amazing you popped up for this thread to have a post deleted and to TWIST my words.

FWIW I think the Accord is better than the Camry.
You won't quote that though. You will only post/twist and flame what you disagree with.

You guys really need to take some sort of debate course.
That link displays no results for me, and I find it hard to believe I posted anything pro acura or honda because I see very little worthy of praise coming out of Honda/Acura these days unless it was about older generations. Nevertheless I am a car enthusiast who finds far more fault in other brands than the ugly, but reliable stuff coming from Honda/Acura. Why would I quote you liking honda? for cudos or praise? Of course I speak up when I have a problem with something I read, the fact that this is mostly in honda/acura threads means I generally have problems with the bashing that goes on in them. I'm also willing to bet you have more posts in honda/acura threads than I do.
Old 07-29-09, 08:50 PM
mocheen
Rookie

I have owned 4 Acuras (91 Legend Coupe, 00 Integra Type R, 03 TL Type S, and 05 TL ASPEC) and I have always been a fan of Honda. My wife had an 87 Prelude and a 1998 Accord. The new models just do not do anything for us. My wife is into cars, and she does not like the way the new Acura line up looks. She said she could drive the TSX, but would rather look at another brand instead. The new Accord looks terrible in comparison to the new Camry. This is the worst looking Accord I have seen since the 1980 model. Do not even get me started on the new TL. The MDX is the only decent looking Acura minus the front beak like grill.

All of the new Lexus cars are elegant yet discreet. The Toyota line up seems to follow the Lexus pattern, while Honda has chosen to go with the edgier designs. Normally, I would always pick a Honda over a Toyota, but this has changed in the past two years. Maybe, it is just me getting older.
Old 07-29-09, 10:52 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

The gap is closing, mostly due to Toyota's drop in quality in the latest Camry, but partly due to how well crafted the current Accord is. Next year will be interesting to see. If the trend continues, the Accord may actually come away with the title because their wagon that is coming out at the end of the year, the Crosstour, is officially the Accord Crosstour, and depending on how well it sells, it could help Honda usurp the crown from Toyota.

As for why the Accord outsells the Camry? Well, it is a bit more expensive than the Camry.
Old 07-29-09, 11:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the camary sells better because many look at it as a basic lexus ES. Not totally true but it may help boost sales.
Old 07-30-09, 12:17 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
35k??? I think it tops out at around 28.
nope, Got one not fully loaded.

V6 3.5, SE model with blue tooth, leather seat and spolier.

sticker is 30k already.
Old 07-30-09, 02:16 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Its called a "halo" effect. IS350jet makes a great point. People buying a Camry are more inclined to do so b/c of its relationship with Lexus as they respect and revere Lexus and its accomplishments. Thus their Camry is "a poor mans Lexus". In contrast Accord buyers don't feel the same way in regards to Acura and in many ways feel their Accord is just as good/superior for a lesser price.

So in summary the Lexus/Camry relationship helps to sell Camrys. I think it is a great point!
Uh, I doubt you can prove that anybody buying the majority of Camry's sold (LE 4-Cylinder) do so because of some imaginary "halo effect" of the platform being shared with the Lexus ES350. I'd be willing to wager than not even a forth of Camry customers know or even care about the similarities. So I fail to see how this point is such a grand observation.

Moreover, your assertion that the Camry is a "poor mans Lexus" is flawed because the ES is based off the Camry, not the other way around. If you want to make the situation seem any different from the Accord and TL, you are again skating on thin ice as you can't reasonable justify that the Camry/ES combination is any different from the Accord/TL one. The TL doesn't feel like a real luxury car compared to, let's say your GS, much in the same way the similarly priced ES doesn't either. Cars like the Audi A6, Lexus GS, and 5-Series aren't some sort of guised up mid-sized family car, they were built with an emphasis on premium from day one. The fundamentals are different, and since I know you are agreeing with all of this applying to the TL, I think it's safe to say the ES falls into the same category. Just go sit in the car itself - it isn't constructed or built like a true luxury car - it feels forced, because it is, it's a modified Camry. Drives like one too. No way in hell you are going to compete with anything but other high-end Buicks on the market with a dynamically incompetent car like that. But I give it credit for at least not trying to make some failed attempt to be a BMW (Acura TL). In the end the formula works for Lexus, and the ES is a great seller. Therefore I am not implying they should suddenly drop the car, but I think we need to be both honest and realistic about what the car is, and clearly is not.

Last edited by FKL; 07-30-09 at 02:26 AM.
Old 07-30-09, 03:07 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FinalBurst
The gap is closing, mostly due to Toyota's drop in quality in the latest Camry, but partly due to how well crafted the current Accord is. Next year will be interesting to see. If the trend continues, the Accord may actually come away with the title because their wagon that is coming out at the end of the year, the Crosstour, is officially the Accord Crosstour, and depending on how well it sells, it could help Honda usurp the crown from Toyota.

As for why the Accord outsells the Camry? Well, it is a bit more expensive than the Camry.
Wrong. The gap is closing for mainly one reason. The Accord continues to sell the Accord Coupe in droves and the Camry Solara coupe/convert is now 5 years old and being discontinued.

Nice try though

Old 07-30-09, 03:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
Uh, I doubt you can prove that anybody buying the majority of Camry's sold (LE 4-Cylinder) do so because of some imaginary "halo effect" of the platform being shared with the Lexus ES350. I'd be willing to wager than not even a forth of Camry customers know or even care about the similarities. So I fail to see how this point is such a grand observation.

I doubt you can DISPROVE IT so why try on a a Lexus forum? Does that theory upset you that much??? Its clearly not the sole reason but IS350Jet brings up a good point that it can HELP sales. Why is that such a bitter proposal?

Moreover, your assertion that the Camry is a "poor mans Lexus" is flawed because the ES is based off the Camry, not the other way around.

How is it "flawed" b/c you disagree with it? The Camry has ALWAYS been the poor mans Lexus. The Maxima the poor mans 5 series.

If you want to make the situation seem any different from the Accord and TL, you are again skating on thin ice as you can't reasonable justify that the Camry/ES combination is any different from the Accord/TL one. The TL doesn't feel like a real luxury car compared to, let's say your GS, much in the same way the similarly priced ES doesn't either.

In your HASTE to argue again, you missed the entire POINT. Did you miss the entire part where I said Its not about sharing with the ES, its about being related to a LEXUS. In other words, its more the BRAND relation not the specific CAR relation.

Cars like the Audi A6, Lexus GS, and 5-Series aren't some sort of guised up mid-sized family car, they were built with an emphasis on premium from day one. The fundamentals are different, and since I know you are agreeing with all of this applying to the TL, I think it's safe to say the ES falls into the same category. Just go sit in the car itself - it isn't constructed or built like a true luxury car - it feels forced, because it is, it's a modified Camry. Drives like one too. No way in hell you are going to compete with anything but other high-end Buicks on the market with a dynamically incompetent car like that.

WTF are you talking about? This has NOTHING to do with our thread. Its just another LAME LAME LAME attempt to crap on the ES.

But I give it credit for at least not trying to make some failed attempt to be a BMW (Acura TL). In the end the formula works for Lexus, and the ES is a great seller. Therefore I am not implying they should suddenly drop the car, but I think we need to be both honest and realistic about what the car is, and clearly is not.

Again what on earth are you talking about?
If you are in this thread to crap on Toyota/Lexus somehow please save us ANOTHER reading from your usual gospel. Thanks.

I strongly suggest READING EMPHATICALLY before just posting and twisting posts and not really listening to what people are saying.

Old 07-30-09, 03:40 AM
LexFather

That link displays no results for me, and I find it hard to believe I posted anything pro acura or honda because I see very little worthy of praise coming out of Honda/Acura these days unless it was about older generations. Nevertheless I am a car enthusiast who finds far more fault in other brands than the ugly, but reliable stuff coming from Honda/Acura. Why would I quote you liking honda? for cudos or praise? Of course I speak up when I have a problem with something I read, the fact that this is mostly in honda/acura threads means I generally have problems with the bashing that goes on in them. I'm also willing to bet you have more posts in honda/acura threads than I do.
So "Defending" in every single thread is not being Pro Honda/Acura. So many of your posts are deleted b/c you come in here "Search" Honda/Acura and then post flaming crap. Like you are doing AGAIN in here.

Here is a reality check. If you are not in this thread to try at least do your usual Honda defense but instead to incite flames and twist peoples words, GET OUT. We don't need that. Here are a few
Defending Acura again
here we go again. blah blah hate tl blah blah hate acura blah blah blah hate tl
Why come here then? Someone out of thousands of threads you summerize this? Grow up.
the threads around here seem to alternate between bashing acura and bashing honda
Here are you starting crap with another member.
but but...that would make sense and then the prius would come out ahead...now where did the VW preacher aka FKL mysteriously dissapear to? *crickets*
More blah
Whats with all the hate and snarkiness? This is a good thing for acura, a good thing for consumers, and even a good thing for Lexus enthusiasts. There's nothing like a competitor stepping up to the plate and setting a new safety bar that will help spur Lexus and other manufacturers to do the same.

I seem to recall Volvo's looking like bricks on wheels, but due to their safety reputation, still doing quite well, so dont discount acura just for having...less than appealing vehicles at the moment.
Bashing our forum again
It has been a day or 2 since the last one. Wouldnt be club lexus without one. Usually they stem from a press release of some sort, this one appears to be more pointless than usual. and see how long before my post gets deleted. lol
Flaming again
hahaha. Anything to throw hate. The thought of honda/acura being number one in something over lexus probably irks folks to no end. Spin it anyway you want to get that warm fuzzy feeling back though
Bashing our forum again
You're kidding me? How long have you been here? Bashing Honda drivers is like the forum sport. I've said numerous times it has mostly to do with the age and maturity of drivers who can afford these types of cars. Civics, Subs, neons, Scions, there's no difference.
Wow more forum bashing
The typical answer to that is 'sheep' and this wouldnt be club lexus without a honda/acura bashing thread of the day.
At this point, not sure why we haven't ended your miserable stay here if Clublexus is that bad.

Old 07-30-09, 03:41 AM
LexFather

Here is my Accord review.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post4089634

Quick Reply: Just don't understand why Camry can outsell Accord.