Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just don't understand why Camry can outsell Accord.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 01:06 AM
love_lexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just don't understand why Camry can outsell Accord.

I notice that almost all magazines and experts rate Accord higher and better than Camry years after years, but Camry has outsold Accord every time, why?
Are people blind? or something else?
Old 07-29-09, 01:08 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've driven both and all I can say is that the Camry is the type of car you are driven in what with its boaty ride, where else the Accord is more of a driver's car with sportier suspension.

plus, the Camry looks marginally better than the Accord and has been on the market a tad bit longer.
Old 07-29-09, 01:14 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by love_lexus
I notice that almost all magazines and experts rate Accord higher and better than Camry years after years, but Camry has outsold Accord every time, why?
Market never lies, the Camry must be better.
Old 07-29-09, 02:56 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think people think Camry is bit more reliable (bulletproof)... but I always preferred Accord over Camry because Camry looked tooooooooooo much like family car... and Accord, family car.
Old 07-29-09, 03:57 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Read the wisdom of 1SICKLEX. The Accord wins magazine comparos because it handles better. They don't give a rat's *** about space, amenities, ride comfort or anything else people who actually spend their own money on cars care about. It's a sham. Real people don't buy an Accord or Camry to carve canyons or blast around Road America. They buy it to drive to work and to take their family on vacation. Most auto journalists totally overlook the target market of every vehicle they review, and just pretend it's a Ferrari with less horsepower. The one that has the shortest list of compromises compared to the 599 GTB wins...every time.
Old 07-29-09, 03:59 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Camry is better.

It simply appeals to the greatest number of people. The Camry is what Americans want.

It's not even that close anymore...

Camry YTD: 150,242

Accord YTD: 131,043
Old 07-29-09, 04:02 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Read the wisdom of 1SICKLEX. The Accord wins magazine comparos because it handles better. They don't give a rat's *** about space, amenities, ride comfort or anything else people who actually spend their own money on cars care about. It's a sham. Real people don't buy an Accord or Camry to carve canyons or blast around Road America. They buy it to drive to work and to take their family on vacation. Most auto journalists totally overlook the target market of every vehicle they review, and just pretend it's a Ferrari with less horsepower. The one that has the shortest list of compromises compared to the 599 GTB wins...every time.
Exactly. That is why Toyota is the world's largest automaker despite being known as bland in the performance/handling side of things.
Old 07-29-09, 04:53 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Actually

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Camry YTD: 150,242

Accord YTD: 131,043
Believe it or not, the gap b/n the 2 has been getting smaller ... @ least acording to this article: EGMCarTech:
The margin between the two cars is the smallest since 2003. Honda has been closing the gaps for the past two years says WardsAuto. In 2008, the Camry beat the Accord by 63,828 units, down from 80,877 in 2007 and 94,004 in 2006.
This is something that I have been noticing for a while tho, cars that get better reviews & win comparos tend to sell worse than their rival. This applies to the Accord/Civic vs Camry/Corolla as well as the Pilot/CR-V/Odyssey vs the Highlander/Rav-4/Sienna. Guess it proves the general public are not enthusiasts as those are generally the type of people that do reviews/comparos.

Old 07-29-09, 04:57 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My parents have a Camry and my girlfriend has the Altima. Yes, the Altima is more fun to drive and if I had to buy one, I'd probably go for the Altima or Accord over the Camry, but in actuality, I won't buy any of the three. I can see the Camry's appeal. The ride is much more plush than the other two. And really, for driving around in NYC, I'd much rather have a comfy floaty ride rather than one that can "carve" the... potholes? LOL. And highway cruising is much more comfortable in the Camry than the Altima. Toyota just targeted the right people. Toyota is the "new buick".
Old 07-29-09, 05:08 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Toyota experience >>>> Honda experience.

And the Camry hybrid helps Toyota, that's for sure.
Old 07-29-09, 06:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

No, the people are not blind. The public, in general, likes the Camry's generally softer ride and noise isolation (SE model excepted). Testers in the auto press tend to prefer handling over ride (far more so than the public in general), and the Accord does have better steering response. Newer Accords have finally gotten rid of the over-boosted power steering and bumpy-shifting automatics that plagued earlier ones, but the Camry still drives more seamlessly.

The public, though, HAS been blind in one area. Interior build quality has been steadily going downhill on new Camrys since the late 1990's, and today has some unexcusably cheap trim and hardware inside, yet the public still flocks to it in droves. They were....and are......so enamored with the car's 1980's-1990's reputation that, unlike us car enthusiasts here, they either haven't noticed or have simply overlooked the Camry's cheapening interiors. The Accord has also done some cost-cutting inside with plastic trim, but retains its excellent hardware and Swiss-Watch build/assembly precision.
Old 07-29-09, 06:10 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

People who dont do research just buy what ever is the best seller.
Old 07-29-09, 06:43 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think usually the camry is cheaper after negotiations

that could be a big factor too.
Old 07-29-09, 06:44 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

funny how 'sheep' is used frequently around here to describe honda/acura buyers, but if this isnt the definition of sheep, I dont know what is.
Old 07-29-09, 06:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

accord was usually more upscale than the camry, its more expensive than the camry as well

Quick Reply: Just don't understand why Camry can outsell Accord.