Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rude Drivers Reduce Traffic Jams

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 05:56 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If 55 mph drivers are not on the left lane, aggressive drivers wouldn't be changing lanes and speeding pass them on the right. People can drive at 70mph and be patience.
Old 07-30-09, 06:57 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
they are breaking the traffic law by blocking the left lane
This depends on the state. Here in MD, you can go the same speed in all lanes, and not break any law (unless otherwise posted).

General,

That said, while "jerk drivers" may avoid jams in some instances, they potentially cause other issues for motorist.

I'd also say, in my experiences, while accidents happen, its the slowing to stare which creates backups. It doesn’t matter if the accident is cleared to the shoulder or on the opposite side of a barrier. People are too curious, and it’s the same inattentive negligent behavior, which causes accidents or leads to jams.

Lastly, far too many people change lanes constantly when they see a lane moving faster than another, causing unnecessary braking, which then leads to more jams. If drivers would occupy one lane and keep uniform, they'd typically help everyone get to where they are going, faster and safer. Added to this, is the inability of many drivers to merge properly or courteously. Simply allowing one car to go, and then the other, from each respective lane, is the fastest way to move traffic at most merge-points. When drivers insist they must be 'first', people start trying to merge at some odd ratio, which only leads to frustration...and more jams.
Old 07-30-09, 07:08 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I'd also say, in my experiences, while accidents happen, its the slowing to stare which creates backups. It doesn’t matter if the accident is cleared to the shoulder or on the opposite side of a barrier. People are too curious, and it’s the same inattentive negligent behavior, which causes accidents or leads to jams.

Lastly, far too many people change lanes constantly when they see a lane moving faster than another, causing unnecessary braking, which then leads to more jams. If drivers would occupy one lane and keep uniform, they'd typically help everyone get to where they are going, faster and safer. Added to this, is the inability of many drivers to merge properly or courteously. Simply allowing one car to go, and then the other, from each respective lane, is the fastest way to move traffic at most merge-points. When drivers insist they must be 'first', people start trying to merge at some odd ratio, which only leads to frustration...and more jams.
Funny I experienced both of these during my commute last night and this morning. This morning the opposite side of the freeway had an accident with fire trucks, ambulances...the whole she-bang. Traffic on my side slowed down to ~20-30 mph.

Yesterday, there was this maroon Scion xB (2nd gen) that decided he was too cool to stay in one lane so he was cutting people off left and right and making them hit the brakes. I stayed in the #2 or #3 lane and consistently passed him 3-5 minutes after he made his stupid moves
Old 07-30-09, 07:08 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

one more thing that always cause traffic is the police writing a ticket on the right lane/in the middle of the road. People tend to get nosy and slow down just to take a look at what happend. And it blocks the whole lane, why can't he ask the driver to drive to a smaller road or parking lot.
Old 07-30-09, 07:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

slow drivers are the ones that cause traffic clusters, not the fast ones. If a slowbie is in the left lane and a faster driver can put pressure on them to leave that lane, it helps out a lot. Cops are starting to go after slowbies in the fast lane.
Old 07-30-09, 07:54 AM
Jakex1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TLe2006
one more thing that always cause traffic is the police writing a ticket on the right lane/in the middle of the road. People tend to get nosy and slow down just to take a look at what happend. And it blocks the whole lane, why can't he ask the driver to drive to a smaller road or parking lot.
THIS THIS THIS, and accidents, when there is traffic that mysteriously clears up after it passes a accident, i quietly rage inside my car
Old 07-30-09, 08:23 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

I see traffic caused alot by people who wait until the very last second to merge on the highway. They'll stay in the right lane as long as they can then basicly force someone to let them in. Which causes cars to hit the brakes and create a domino effect.

It pisses me off when there is an opening to merge in yet they will speed up to get ONE car ahead. Just merge in when theres an opening and if I'm in the right lane cruising and you are trying to merge onto the highway, speed up or slow down to either pass me or go behind me!! I'm not the one that is merging, you are!!
Old 07-30-09, 08:35 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

I don't understand why the prius get the HOV treatment, don't they get better milage when they go slower? In virginia HOV is on the left lane so it's a passing lane.
Old 07-30-09, 09:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand why the prius get the HOV treatment, don't they get better milage when they go slower? In virginia HOV is on the left lane so it's a passing lane.
lol, Around here the Prius owners (with yellow sticker) often drive 80-85 mph in car pool lane. Gas mileage can't be very good at those speeds.
Old 07-30-09, 09:53 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Puerto Rico and Atlanta are prime examples that TOO many Jerk-hole drivers equal a lot MORE traffic...
Old 07-30-09, 10:05 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
lol, Around here the Prius owners (with yellow sticker) often drive 80-85 mph in car pool lane. Gas mileage can't be very good at those speeds.
it's still very good, relative to other 4 bangers.
Old 07-30-09, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

In VA, the HOV allowance for hybrids is meant to get commuters to drive hybrids (there is also a state tax credit) instead of conventional vehicles (notwithstanding the fact that some large hybrids get worse gas mileage than some small conventional gas-engines cars). As far as the speed issue goes, HOV lanes in VA have the same speed limits that other lanes do.....55 to 65 MPH (perhaps 70 in a few areas). So, if Prius owners are zipping along in the HOV lanes at 80-85 MPH and using more gas, that's not the state's fault. It's the Prius drivers themselves who are breaking the law, by speeding.
Old 07-30-09, 10:49 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You can't have too many jerks all in one place...that causes accident. So, just in case, I nominate myself to be the jerk and all other jerks will have to be less of a jerk in a case we all show up in one place.