Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver latest midsize luxury sport sedan comparison and BMW didn't win, OMG

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 11:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Actually the A6 3.0T was a little slower than the #2 manual 535i #2, Car and Driver was very impressed by Audi's supercharged V6 and found the 09 A6's steering better than the BMW's.
i think that's turbocharged? i know the web page says supercharged also... maybe i'm wrong. or you're both wrong.
Old 07-29-09, 11:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The Audi has been earning a lot of praise recently. Maybe I will take a test drive to check it out for myself
Old 07-30-09, 12:27 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I just realized this was CAr & driver magazine we were talking about. This is a big shock. I swore them off a while back because I am tired of the bias
Old 07-30-09, 12:46 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

For a model that's been out since the end of 2004, that's a big accomplishment for the A6. I've always liked that car and the new V6 is a brute. I had the chance to race it around at Hollywood Park a few months ago- was very impressed.
Surprised they even bothered with the M45. That car is to be replaced very shortly.
Lastly, I've always held C&D high. Maybe it's just me, but their opinions and tastes have matched my own more than any other magazine over the years. I find the most mistakes at Motor Trend.
Old 07-30-09, 02:29 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read the article - they actually noted they liked the lighter steering of the Audi vs. the BMW.

>??
Old 07-30-09, 05:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Has the A6 received any upgrades in the steering, suspension, brakes, etc this past year? I would find it interesting if the A6 only received an engine upgrade, yet it jumps to #1 in its class for this test. Older test usually had it behind the MB and BMW.
The 09 A6 recieved an engine upgarde, reworked suspension, new MMI screen, LED DRL, new front and back panels and lights and cornering lights. The funny thing is that no more than a year ago, C&D tested the 535 vs the A6 4.2 which is a faster car than the A6 3.0T and the 335 won. I am not a big fan of car and driver either

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think that's turbocharged? i know the web page says supercharged also... maybe i'm wrong. or you're both wrong.
Its supercharged, but Audi still calls it a 3.0T engine.

Originally Posted by FKL
I've read the article - they actually noted they liked the lighter steering of the Audi vs. the BMW.

>??
Audi's steering is design to be light at parking lot speed, once you get up to 20 MPH, it starts to tighen up. On the highway, it feels as tight as the 5 series.
Old 07-30-09, 06:18 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

G man, trade that bish in for an 09.

your 08 doesn't cut it anymore
Old 07-30-09, 06:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
G man, trade that bish in for an 09.

your 08 doesn't cut it anymore
Lol, I wish I can. I am actually considering a Genesis for my next car
Old 07-30-09, 06:32 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Lol, I wish I can. I am actually considering a Genesis for my next car
oh you're going to hell now..
Old 07-30-09, 06:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

oh you're going to hell now..
Please talk me out of it I cant be seen driving a Hyundai
Old 07-30-09, 06:45 AM
FinalBurst
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm impressed by Infiniti, I never imagined it would place so highly. Good job by Audi though.
Old 07-30-09, 06:51 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

Please talk me out of it I cant be seen driving a Hyundai
Put the KDM Genesis badges on and 85% of people won't know it's a Hyundai

Old 07-30-09, 06:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pickup for the A6

Can't believe I am the first person to bring this up on a Lexus forum, but I wonder why the GS wasn't included? If the M was, I would imagine that the GS should have been as well, not to mention that a fully loaded GS 460 costs less than their 535i and a GS 350 would have been around $10K less. They could have added the Genesis too.

I'm surprised to see the E in last place, to be honest. The car has gotten so much positive press and the E550 was just ranked above the 550i and XF a few weeks ago. While 268 hp is at the back of it's class, it's also hardly lacking or desperate. Maybe in comparison to the FI 6 cylinders in the Audi and BMW, but still not a bad engine.

I really never cared much for the interior of the XF so I will be interested to see what kind of problems they had with the shifter. I would have expected it to do better than a 4th place rating, but the car sorely needs to drop one or two of it's lower V8s and replace them with a strong V6. That V8 is one of the oldest basic engine designs in the luxury realm.

Nice finish for the M45 over the Mercedes and Jaguar- I have always loved the M. While BMW's can get astronomically expensive, I would like to see what options they tacked on to the 535i to get the price THAT high.

Like I said above, nice win for the A6. I have seen a few of them around and the new changes are nice, though I really dislike their black/saddle two tone leather design theme. It looks like a hack job done by some tuner as a show car, not a proper luxury car interior designed from Audi. The rest of it is nice, and considering the shortcomings of the E and the Jag, the age of the M, and the price of the BMW, I am not surprised that it won.
Old 07-30-09, 07:03 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

the first thought I had when reading this was.......

wow, C&D is full of shiz.

3 writers/editors compromised and came out with a ranking of 5 cars.

Big whoop. They're just 3 people

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Nice pickup for the A6

Can't believe I am the first person to bring this up on a Lexus forum, but I wonder why the GS wasn't included? If the M was, I would imagine that the GS should have been as well, not to mention that a fully loaded GS 460 costs less than their 535i and a GS 350 would have been around $10K less. They could have added the Genesis too.

The GS would've surely gotten last place.

it has the oldest tech, the boat-iest ride. so it doesn't qualify to be a "sport sedan" by C&D standards.
Old 07-30-09, 08:04 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GS would've surely gotten last place.

it has the oldest tech, the boat-iest ride. so it doesn't qualify to be a "sport sedan" by C&D standards.
Judging by how they rated the other cars, my guess is that the GS would have actually finished third or fourth. It's got one of the strongest engines, nicest interiors, best gas mileage, and good technology. I would fully expect it to place behind the BMW and Audi based on it's lack of sportiness, but the features and luxury may or may not have placed it above the M.

It would have just been nice to see their comments on the car.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver latest midsize luxury sport sedan comparison and BMW didn't win, OMG