Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What happened to all the nice cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 04:43 AM
Jakex1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to all the nice cars?

It seems like after new millennium, unless you are willing to shell out an upwards of 60k you wont be getting a good performance car. Ive been looking at cars to buy lately, and they are all seem to be "hairdresser" types. They look nice but under perform. Such as the eclipse, tt, 328, rsx, even the a5 isnt that fast.

It makes me truly believe that the 90's were the best time for a car enthusiast.
Old 07-30-09, 06:06 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that's what i was saying

but how about the Z? for $30k
Old 07-30-09, 06:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The era of Preludes, Integras, Celicas, RSXs, and the other fun FWD sporty coupes is clearly over unfortunately. The Civic Si Coupe is the very last of a dying breed, and even then it's desirability is marginal at best to most people. It's nothing like it once was. Perhaps the American "Bigger is better" mindset is what killed these cars- who knows?

That said, there are still plenty of great choices for less than 60K:

- Chevy Camaro and Corvette
- Ford Mustang and Cobra/GT500
- Dodge Challenger
- Nissan 370Z
- Mazda RX8 and Miata
- BMW Z4 and 1 series
- Infiniti G37
- Hyundai Genesis Coupe
- Honda S2000 (about to die)

Truthfully I am hinging a lot of hopes on Toyota's new RWD entry level sports coupe, co-developed with Subaru. With the MR2, Celica, and Supra, Toyota once had an outstanding lineup of sports cars but between the SUV boom and some of their own errors, the cars all died off. I am praying that the new coupe will be a great car overall, and it will also be in a unique market position, positioned below cars like the Mustang, Camaro, and Genesis.

There are also strong, credible rumors circulating about a new midsize sports car from Toyota, set to properly compete with the Mustang and Camaro, even the Corvette.

We will see what happens...
Old 07-30-09, 07:08 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakex1
It seems like after new millennium, unless you are willing to shell out an upwards of 60k you wont be getting a good performance car [...]isnt that fast.

It makes me truly believe that the 90's were the best time for a car enthusiast.
If fast is the objective, I'd argue that a number of cars, even non-sports cars of today, can certainly keep up or outrun a number of 90s era sports cars.

I know in the instance of both my vehicles, the IS could certainly run the 7 (if it were stock), for example. They both complete and trap about the same in the 1/4th, narrowing it down to a drivers race.

Last edited by Lets Drive; 07-30-09 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-30-09, 07:40 AM
Jakex1
Pole Position

Well you cant really say its a car that just has to be FAST because thats kinda silly. And i agree with MPlexus, a lot of the fun cars of the 90s are over.

I guess nice cars are still out, but if you were to compare them to a rx7 or a 300zx, :/.

Yea ive been considering a 370 or a evox(why couldnt they make it as a coupe)
Old 07-30-09, 07:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Wait until CAFE standards take into place.

You're gonna have a blast when that happens...
Old 07-30-09, 07:50 AM
Jakex1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

oh my god, i just did a quick google search and i think im gonna cry
Old 07-30-09, 07:53 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing is for sure- none of today's $30-40K sports cars will ever be as iconic as the 300ZX, RX 7, and Supra were some 15 years ago.

The 370Z and RX8 are the closest to that former glory but neither really come close. The Nissan, while loved by many, is just too oddly shaped and common on the road. The Mazda gets absolutely atrocious gas mileage and returns decent performance but excellent handling. The trick rear doors were really a FAIL IMO.

RIP...

Last edited by MPLexus301; 07-30-09 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-30-09, 08:00 AM
Jakex1
Pole Position

i actually was never a big fan of 300zx's but it still saddens me that cars like those will never be made again
Old 07-30-09, 08:48 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

i actually was never a big fan of 300zx's but it still saddens me that cars like those will never be made again
Hey Jake, if I were you I would DEFINITELY consider a 2-3 year old (NOT an off-leaser) ride that may have once been $60-$70K new. Here, you may be able to scoop up something in the mid $40K range and no one will know that it is 2-3 years old if it is in good condition and bodystyles of recent models have not changed.

For example, IF I decide in 2 years to buy an ISF I can buy an '07(?)-'10 when the time comes for a GREAT deal and the car would be the SAME performer as it has for it's previous owner who bought it new. Now, if when that time comes I buy say an '08 ISF and (in 2011) the bodystyle JUST changes in the ISF then it could seem like I just bought a leftover 2010 ISF (old bodystyle) to other people. There are many ways to get great bang for the buck...let the original owner take the instant hit of losing $10K in depreciation over the first year of ownership. Unless of course you have money coming out your ears...then it is always nice to buy new.

This example mirrors my experience when I bought my 2000 GS400. I was 23 years old and bought in 2003; it was just under 3 years old from it's build date and was NOT an off-lease; it was someone trading it in to the local Lexus dealership who wanted to upgrade to a newer Lexus model. It was around $54K new so at 23 I was affording one new. However, I loved the car so I searched and took almost 3 months to find a black on black one and scooped it up for $28,999 after negotiating. I was happy and had a great riding and fun vehicle for all these years.

Just something to think about. Good luck!
Old 07-30-09, 09:18 AM
LexFather

I dunno Jake, I find today to be the golden, hell PLATINUM era of cars. Make sure your glass is half full.

Old 07-30-09, 09:19 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

oh my god, i just did a quick google search and i think im gonna cry
Better get your supercars now, because they won't be around (in the U.S.) by then.

Or, you can do what I do. Get a motorcycle...
Old 07-30-09, 09:31 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
....The 370Z and RX8 are the closest to that former glory but neither really come close. The Nissan, while loved by many, is just too oddly shaped and common on the road. The Mazda gets absolutely atrocious gas mileage and returns decent performance but excellent handling. The trick rear doors were really a FAIL IMO.

RIP...

+1... RX-8's doors were a godsend getting my kids in and out.. and yes, 230 miles MAX on hwy, insane handling but might as well park it as soon as temps dropped to under 35 degrees let alone ANY type of road moisture below 40 degrees...
Old 07-30-09, 10:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
One thing is for sure- none of today's $30-40K sports cars will ever be as iconic as the 300ZX, RX 7, and Supra were some 15 years ago.

The 370Z and RX8 are the closest to that former glory but neither really come close. The Nissan, while loved by many, is just too oddly shaped and common on the road. The Mazda gets absolutely atrocious gas mileage and returns decent performance but excellent handling. The trick rear doors were really a FAIL IMO.

RIP...

I'd argue that is because back then, you couldn't buy too many sedans with as much or more power than those cars. Now, you can get a Charger or 300C with an Hemi, a G8 with a Corvette engine, etc. With so many cars having 250+ hp, you are not limited to just sports cars to get a powerful ride, if that is the main thing you are looking for.
Old 07-30-09, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Well, yes and no. It is true that the number of gas-guzzling high-performance cars will be cut way back (or eliminated), but, in the meantime, new ways are going to be found for getting more power out of less petroleum-based fuel, such as turbodiesels, performance-oriented hybrids, Ford's Ecoboost engines, and even non-petroleum fuels such as propane, natural gas, ethanol, etc..... Even today (though they are expensive) there are the all-electric Tesla high-performance cars, and as battery technology and expense improves, their prices will probably come down.

Quick Reply: What happened to all the nice cars?