Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Mustang Poised To Enter NASCAR for First Time, Automaker Says

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 05:51 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Mustang Poised To Enter NASCAR for First Time, Automaker Says

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=153707

DEARBORN, Michigan — The Ford Mustang has been missing from NASCAR, but that is set to change. Ford has announced that its iconic muscle car will compete for the first time in NASCAR starting with the 2010 Nationwide Series.

"We had been talking with NASCAR for some time about Mustang as part of its vision for a 'muscle car' rollout for the Nationwide Series," said Brian Wolfe, director of Ford North America Motorsports. "We both saw it as a way of differentiating the series from Sprint Cup. We loved the idea."

In a statement, Ford said it has gone through the official NASCAR submission and approval process for the new car and, once templates are finalized, production of Mustang parts will start to teams can build the first cars for testing later this fall.

"We're excited about the new car in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, and particularly the new body styles such as the Ford Mustang," said NASCAR President Mike Helton. "It's going to be one good-looking race car."

Inside Line says: One of the better hookups in recent memory. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent
Old 07-30-09, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It's not surprising that the Mustang is going to NASCAR.

Many of the young guys currently driving Mustangs on the street won't need much training.
Old 07-30-09, 03:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

But its not really a street car based racing machine is it?? I guess its more like a race car fashioned like a mustang will be joining NASCAR
Old 07-30-09, 03:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's not surprising that the Mustang is going to NASCAR.

Many of the young guys currently driving Mustangs on the street won't need much training.
For sure, I heard they practiced on your street, or was that "drifting" they were attempting. Yiieeechhhssss.
Old 07-30-09, 04:04 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
But its not really a street car based racing machine is it?? I guess its more like a race car fashioned like a mustang will be joining NASCAR
It'll be as much a Mustang as the the Monte Carlo SS is a Chevy: i.e nothing.
Key word in the Edmunds report is "templates". The body will have to conform to these, as will any other brand or model from Ford, Chevy or Toyota. The only way to differentiate one brand from another is the stickers or the paint.
Old 07-30-09, 04:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Thats what I thought. Its like a mustang esque racer
Old 07-30-09, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
For sure, I heard they practiced on your street, or was that "drifting" they were attempting. Yiieeechhhssss.
Not on my particular street, which is actually a long, condo-surrounded driveway with speed bumps, but there are enough of them around. CA has its share of them too.......but probably more so around L.A. than in your part of the state.
Old 07-30-09, 06:38 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm,, Mustang having to conform to the Nascar's "Car of Tomorrow" current platform, which MANY drivers hate but recognize the safety aspects of. This will be interesting to see how it turns out. I always thought that the Mustang would have been more suited for the Nascar IROC(International Race Of Champions) series, much like the Camaro was back in the day.
Old 07-30-09, 06:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trukn1
Hmm,, Mustang having to conform to the Nascar's "Car of Tomorrow" current platform, which MANY drivers hate but recognize the safety aspects of. This will be interesting to see how it turns out. I always thought that the Mustang would have been more suited for the Nascar IROC(International Race Of Champions) series, much like the Camaro was back in the day.
Good point (and I agree), but the Mustang never needed IROC (or even today's NASCAR) to sell. Its general popularity in the auto market has always been well ahead of the Camaro and Firebird, race day or not. The only reason that the new Camaro is so hard to get right now is not that its popularity now exceeds the Mustang, but that, with the typical new-car hype, supply temporarily exceeds demand.....GM simply isn't producing enough of them. That will change.

And, before IROC, you had the old Trans-Am racing series that Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, Firebirds, and even AMC Javelins competed in, hence (of course) the name Trans-Am Firebird.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-30-09 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 06:56 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

From Nascar:
Pemberton said car builders can expect to start receiving templates for the new cars in approximately two weeks. Not all manufacturers have announced the models for the new Nationwide cars, but the lineup is expected to be as follows: Chevrolet Impala SS, Ford Mustang, Dodge Challenger and Toyota Camry.

"We're excited about Mustang coming to NASCAR," said Brian Wolfe, director of Ford North America Motorsports. "It's the most successful product nameplate in racing history, and it seems only right that it should be coming to the most popular form of racing in North America.

"We had been talking with NASCAR for some time about Mustang as part of its vision for a 'muscle car' rollout for the Nationwide Series. We both saw it as a way of differentiating the series from Sprint Cup. ... I think race fans -- and Mustang loyalists -- will be very pleased when we publicly roll out the first car later this fall."

When it is introduced, the new Nationwide Series car will look and drive differently from the Cup Series' COT. The Nationwide car will feature a more traditional spoiler instead of a rear wing and a spring front suspension instead of bump stops.

Looks like they want these cars different in appearance from the COT.

It would be fun to see stock Mustangs, Camaro's, and Challengers go at it. I guess Toyota could use their muscle car of the same vintage - the 1600 Corrolla
Old 07-30-09, 09:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by PHXSC
From Nascar:
Pemberton said car builders can expect to start receiving templates for the new cars in approximately two weeks. Not all manufacturers have announced the models for the new Nationwide cars, but the lineup is expected to be as follows: Chevrolet Impala SS, Ford Mustang, Dodge Challenger and Toyota Camry.
nascar car bear NO resemblance to the name plates they're assigned, and we now know that's laughable if they're claiming a 'toyota camry' NASCAR car.

and this 'mustang' too will have NOTHING to do with the production car.

NASCAR is so stupid... but then so is 'professional' wrestling.
Old 07-30-09, 10:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not on my particular street, which is actually a long, condo-surrounded driveway with speed bumps, but there are enough of them around. CA has its share of them too.......but probably more so around L.A. than in your part of the state.
Northern Cal has lots of Mustangs too. Still America's favorite pony car. Certainly my favorite, until the new Camaro came along.