Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ACURA says it can achieve Tier-1 status without RWD and V8s

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 07:46 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 07-30-09, 07:47 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which brands are "tier 1" and who decides, or is it based on a formula (cars sold, price of cars, etc., performance, some function of all of these, etc.)
Old 07-30-09, 08:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carLx
Which brands are "tier 1" and who decides, or is it based on a formula (cars sold, price of cars, etc., performance, some function of all of these, etc.)
Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes Benz.

If you read below Acura considers it to be BMW, Benz, Lexus and that is b/c Acura is pretty much a US only brand outside of the 4 cars a year they sell in China.

Originally Posted by akhi2003
“Can we compete with (first-tier luxury) brands Mercedes, Lexus and BMW without RWD? Yes,” Gary Robinson, assistant manager-Acura product planning, tells Ward’s Tuesday during an Acura media event.

Old 07-30-09, 08:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx
Not exactly sure, but IMO I think its a BS classification started by the automotive press to try and group more prestigious luxury makes from lesser luxury makes. Based on the types of vehicles they sell, how many, and how the brand is perceived by the public (among many other things.) Many consider BMW, Lexus and MB to be tier 1, but at the end of the day it really is all subjective.
Old 07-30-09, 08:34 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A brand who've totally lost their *****! And i used to believe they had huge ones!

They can compete but in the US, image is everything and imo you need to have vehicles to directly compare with as far as rwd, tech, high end luxury, all the requisite qualities that a luxury make should provide. Save the unique niche vehicles for the honda nameplate if you ask me.
Old 07-30-09, 09:01 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

lol there delusional
Old 07-30-09, 09:09 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, they want to be "unique" and not offer RWD, however they want to offer AWD? Sounds like Audi. The drive train is the least of their worries. Occasionally when I am driving and I see their new models, it makes my stomach hurt. Simply put, they look terrible. If they fix that they will have clientele. Most people don't care how big a motor is as long as it puts a smile on their face.
Old 07-30-09, 09:20 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

.........and i sht gold bricks.
Old 07-30-09, 09:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
.........and i sht gold bricks.

Old 07-30-09, 09:24 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes Benz.

If you read below Acura considers it to be BMW, Benz, Lexus and that is b/c Acura is pretty much a US only brand outside of the 4 cars a year they sell in China.
I found the quote from the Acura manager to be puzzling.

How does Audi not get mentioned as a Tier 1 brand, but Lexus does? I think all of the four premier players (BMW, Benz, Lexus and Audi) provide solid Tier 1 products with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Acura can add whatever they want, but they will be years away from joining the upper brands. Acura competes with the low end of Tier 1 and nothing more.
Old 07-30-09, 09:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I found the quote from the Acura manager to be puzzling.

How does Audi not get mentioned as a Tier 1 brand, but Lexus does? I think all of the four premier players (BMW, Benz, Lexus and Audi) provide solid Tier 1 products with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Acura can add whatever they want, but they will be years away from joining the upper brands. Acura competes with the low end of Tier 1 and nothing more.
Well it is an Acura manager so chances are he doesn't no squat. Their track record is horrible. I am assuming Audi is not mentioned b/c Audi DOES offer Tier 1 products in America but is not considered Tier 1 here. Lexus is the opposite, Tier 1 in America, not in Europe. Acura is a US only brand for the most part so they are trying to elevate to US brand Tier 1 companies.

I also don't think Acura wants to mention Audi b/c when you think of Audi, you think AWD. Since Acura wants to leverage its use of AWD, they don't want to mention a better known company for it. As I have predicted, Audi is a serious threat in America and has really awoken. They have a true Tier 1 lineup compared to Acura and in the next 3-5 years Audi will have elevated itself where Acura continues to "talk" about. Audi continues to sell better and better and its just a matter of time.

It truly is ridiculous for them to think AWD is their way of being different when EVERYONE has AWD.
Caddy, Volvo, Saab, Lincoln, Benz, BMW, Lexus, Audi. If you want AWD you no longer have to get an Audi, you can stay in your brand.

Acura management is still stuck in the 1980s/1990s b/c back then only Audi offered it for the most part. Today EVERYONE offers it.

The bottom line is they will never be Tier 1 and they really really really need to stop even mentioning it b/c its embarrassing at this point. If they would be quiet and just continue to be a niche brand and a brand for Honda owners to move up to that is fine.

They truly are delusional.

Old 07-30-09, 10:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Good luck with that approach (and the current approach-to-date) at getting to Tier 1 status. That doesn't mean they can't continue to be successful as a car maker. I'm not impressed.
Old 07-30-09, 10:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It truly is ridiculous for them to think AWD is their way of being different when EVERYONE has AWD.
Caddy, Volvo, Saab, Lincoln, Benz, BMW, Lexus, Audi. If you want AWD you no longer have to get an Audi, you can stay in your brand.

Good point about AWD. And in the year 2009 all of the above makers of AWD are producing reliable, quiet, smooth, efficient AWD systems, which wasn't the case 20+ years ago. This is no longer a feature exclusive to a couple of car makers.
Old 07-30-09, 10:34 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

acuras are good cars....my dad currently owns a 2005 TL NAVI with 50+k on it and its looking and running great...previously he's owned a 2003 TL-S, 1999 3.2TL, 1995 legend coupe 6spd, 1989 legend sedan V6L...I had a 96 integra 5spd LS with 215k on it that ran perfectly with the bare minimum dealer maintenence i put into it...looked awesome and was damn fun to drive too....for the most part, they all have been pretty good cars, and despite the new unattractive styling of newer models theyre still good cars, i mean hell theyre hondas...if theyve come this far theyre not going anywhere....cant say theyre tier 1 material tho because most people dont accept acura as being on par with a lexus or BMW, but theyre classified with the saabs, cadillacs, lincolns, infinitis and other lower volume niche lux brands...

Last edited by 03 ES; 07-30-09 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 10:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good point about AWD. And in the year 2009 all of the above makers of AWD are producing reliable, quiet, smooth, efficient AWD systems, which wasn't the case 20+ years ago. This is no longer a feature exclusive to a couple of car makers.
I didn't even name non luxury branded cars like the Taurus SHO etc....

Does Acura realize the new Taurus offers AWD and a turbo V-6 with 355hp? that embarrasses any Acura at the dragstrip? Are they aware Hyundai has a V-8 and RWD? So if Acura brings a FI V-6, well ITS BEEN DONE (again).

Seriously you read this and it continues to show they seem oblivious to how the luxury market works and even more oblivious to what the competition is offering.

They continue to say they aim for BMW, Benz, Lexus when they cannot even clearly beat non luxury brands.

Acura continues to "say" and everyone else has continued to "do".

EVERYONE should be sick of these continued completely useless press releases!!!

Quick Reply: ACURA says it can achieve Tier-1 status without RWD and V8s