Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ACURA says it can achieve Tier-1 status without RWD and V8s

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 08:07 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, you can drive me home in my Subie anytime. This was actually why I was driving the RSX for a friend. Anywho, I too almost bought an Integra and I am damn glad that I didn't. Instead my bro and I got a '96 Legacy GT and since then its been all Subie for me. The Integras we drove never thrilled me like my Prelude did. A weak 1.8L and 2 star safety rating remind me that I made the right choice.
Old 08-02-09, 08:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't know why Acura ever dropped the superb Integra for the RSX. f.
Mike Acura did it b/c they said they were moving upmarket and those cars were not upmarket cars and hurt their image. They then bring a FWD, 4 cylinder TSX Yeah thats great, drop one FWD, I-4 for another FWD I-4 car. They then rename the Canadian Civic rebadge Acura EL to a Acura CSX. They also canned the CL coupe.

Its sad that they talk the talk and everyone else walks it.

The Integra/RSX should never have been badged an Acura and looking at the demographics today it is utterly damaging to the brands image. That said I am also a HUGE fan of both cars, especially the GS-R Integra/Type-R and RSX Type -S.

Blast from the past!

Here is another fabulous utter bullcrap Acura press release regarding it.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/005265.html

Acura to Discontinue RSX

Washington DC May 1, 2006; The AIADA newsletter reported that Acura plans to discontinue production of the RSX coupe at the end of the 2006 model year, reports Automotive News.

The automaker is considering replacements for the entry-level vehicle, which is the company's cheapest automobile by about $8,000. "The Acura brand has been inconsistent," said John Mendel, senior VP of Automobile Operations at American Honda. "We want to be performance, luxury and technology -- in the BMW area a little bit."

Mendel says the company will have a more trim line this summer, which will give customers more flexibility with options.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-rs...pe-coming.html

Acura RSX discontinued for 2007; TSX coupe coming?
05/01/2006, 9:01 AM
By admin

Following rumors over the past week regarding its demise, the RSX is now confirmed to be out of Acura’s lineup for the 2007 model year. In a notice sent across the Acura dealer network, Honda’s Executive Vice President **** Colliver wrote, “In our quest to provide you and our customers with the very best and most appropriate Acura models, we have decided to eliminate the RSX from the 2007 line-up, thus streamlining our product offering to better fit with Acura’s evolving and more upscale image.While the news may come as a disappointment to many Acura fans, there is hope for a replacement in the form of TSX coupe, according to some insiders.

So 3 years later their big idea is to follow the BMW X6 and call this AWD SUV monstrosity a "coupe". WTF?

Last edited by LexFather; 08-02-09 at 08:42 PM.

Old 08-02-09, 08:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike Acura did it b/c they said they were moving upmarket and those cars were not upmarket cars and hurt their image.
Do you agree with me, though, that the Integra, quality-wise, was a better machine? That was the point I was trying to make. The third-generation model, with the four small round headlights, was superbly-built. Honda and Acura, IMO, both did some of their best stuff in the 90s. There only really nice machine they still do today is the RL, especially since the new TL and TSX, IMO, lost their formerly nicer interiors.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-09 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-02-09, 08:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do you agree with me, though, that the Integra, quality-wise, was a better machine? That was the point I was trying to make. The third-generation model, with the four small round headlights, was superbly-built. Honda and Acura, IMO, both did some of their best stuff in the 90s.
I think they were great cars and they should never have been called "Acura" if Honda was serious about the luxury market. They were fancier than Civics but not as fancy as an Accord to me. People would say "Integra" not Acura and you knew it was a good car.

As for quality, I think they were very well built. Good plastics (hard though), excellent fit and finish and of course great shifters (no torque). They also could be scooted all over and the hatch was useful. Nice big windows for good visbility and space for friends.

The 3rd gen was very very well built and I wanted a 4 door GS-R BADLY as a teen. I thought it was superb. Even driving it later I found it nice.

However the "image" of it is just . Going to car meets all the time and seeing them around, Acura WAS RIGHT to discontinue it IF they followed through with truly going upmarket. Instead they canned it, blamed it and then offer no coupes and nothing to justify dropping it.

Funny my points 3 YEARS AGO still carry the same weight today. They canned the 4 cylinder RSX and replaced it with more 4 cylinders!!! WTF?? I miss this vehicle!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...rsx-r-i-p.html

Old 08-02-09, 10:05 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

"If you drive simply to get from Point A to Point B, you'll miss the point of the Acura Integra."

That's a pretty damn good line!
Old 08-02-09, 10:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,651 Posts

the integra's were fun cars, but CHEAP and definitely didn't help build a luxury brand.

i've seen a few of the new TSX on the road and i think it's a good looking car (yeah, except the beak).
Old 08-03-09, 07:43 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the integra's were fun cars, but CHEAP and definitely didn't help build a luxury brand.
I agree, having owned one of the 1st gen for a commuter car for several years. Reliability was excellent.
Old 08-04-09, 03:50 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

As far as I am concerned, Acura only have one true luxury car and thats the RL and they only sell very few of those a year. How can a car campany be a Teir one Luxury division with one luxury car
Old 08-11-09, 08:23 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I am so sick of Honda and their stubborn attitude. I hope Honda and Acura struggle greatly in the future, as that will hopefully teach Honda bosses a big lesson and maybe make them change their thinking, although realistically it is unlikely to happen.

I really could care less about Honda at this point, not to mention Acura. Hyundai/Kia are offering some competitive sport products, Toyota is coming with more sports cars and sport products. Honda is losing it's reputation for sporty products.

As for Acura, they are a complete mess and will continue to be so with such a stubborn attitude. Honda bosses just DO NOT get it; it's not about emulating other automakers, it's about respecting the market and giving the market what it wants. It's also a matter of simple physics; RWD cars will ALWAYS have more performance potential than FWD car.

Ford and Nissan already have V6 engines with well over 300HP, and Toyota will soon join that group as well, as well as other automakers.

While Honda continues to gloat about it's "new" (ancient) 3.7L J-Series V6 that gets 300HP, it is already dated in comparison to some of the competition and will soon be left in the dust by even more competitive engines.
Old 08-11-09, 09:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

While Honda continues to gloat about it's "new" (ancient) 3.7L J-Series V6 that gets 300HP, it is already dated in comparison to some of the competition and will soon be left in the dust by even more competitive engines.
Good point, because the competition is not standing still, especially the rich tier 1 competitors.
Old 08-11-09, 10:04 AM
06TLDude
Rookie

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I really could care less about Honda at this point, not to mention Acura.
I can't tell.
Old 08-11-09, 10:17 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I LOVE MY INTEGRA and have for over 17 years... but apart from the powertrain, there really was nothing in my GS-R that I could not have gotten at that time in a Civic. Even powertrain, the Prelude had more power at the time.

The Civic just came out with airbags, while I got stuck with the automatic belts. No leather (which is fine with me actually), cassette radio (CD just started to be popular), had to get aftermarket dealer installed alarm, regular intermit. wipers. I mean buying an Integra back in 1992 was purely a "name" proposition...

Then again... I'm still driving it and it passes inspection with flying colors every year, so what can I complain about.
Old 08-11-09, 10:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

those were the glory days for honda. prelude, itr, civic, all so solid and well loved by many
Old 08-11-09, 10:43 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
those were the glory days for honda. prelude, itr, civic, all so solid and well loved by many
There is also the NSX which played a big part in giving Honda a sporty reputation.
Old 08-11-09, 11:04 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
Agreed I owned several Accords, one Prelude, one Integra back then.

Quick Reply: ACURA says it can achieve Tier-1 status without RWD and V8s