Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ACURA says it can achieve Tier-1 status without RWD and V8s

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 05:02 PM
akhi2003
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACURA says it can achieve Tier-1 status without RWD and V8s

Again from ACURA about RWD vehicles and V8s. What a joke

Acura Says Can Achieve Tier-1 Status Without RWD
By Christie Schweinsberg
WardsAuto.com, Jul 29, 2009 3:25 PM

ROCHESTER, MI – Despite buzz from Japan that Honda Motor Co. Ltd. has shelved development of a rear-wheel-drive platform for its Acura luxury brand, a U.S. Acura official remains confident.
“Can we compete with (first-tier luxury) brands Mercedes, Lexus and BMW without RWD? Yes,” Gary Robinson, assistant manager-Acura product planning, tells Ward’s Tuesday during an Acura media event.
Robinson does not discuss the program’s cancellation, but new Honda CEO Takanobu Ito rocked the Acura faithful last week when he reportedly announced work had been halted on a RWD initiative.
Analysts and industry watchers blame Acura’s prolonged near-luxury status on its lack of RWD platforms and V-8 engines.
“It would be meaningless to emulate what other companies have been doing for more than five decades,” Ito reportedly said of nixing RWD and a V-8. Development of the latter had been championed by former Honda CEO Takeo Fukui.
“Just when it seems like things were looking up for Acura…the news has been steadily getting worse for the past six months or so,” Jeff Palmer, founder of the enthusiast website Temple of VTEC, says in a posted response to Ito.
“The cumulative effect of this series of blows is taking its toll on Acura's brand credibility amongst enthusiasts, which arguably drive a brand's overall image.”
Robinson says Ito’s remarks were not defeatist in any way, just his way of saying Acura wants to carve out its own version of luxury instead of following competitors.

Acura TSX V-6 variant signals brand strategy.
“I don’t think Ito-san said anything that stood out in one way or another for us, because I think we’re all pretty clear on what the direction for Acura is,” Robinson says, adding Honda founder Soichiro Honda pioneered this sort of thinking.
“His thing was about being a renegade and doing things his own way and trying to figure out what was the right thing for the market and the right thing for the customer… not just copying other people,” he says.
“So, at Acura, that’s definitely something we’ve been thinking about a lot. What does it mean to make an Acura luxury car? You shouldn’t be like everybody else. We don’t want to be another Lexus; we don’t want to be another BMW; we don’t want to be another Mercedes.
“We want somebody who’s shopping those cars to think of us in the same breath, and we want them to have a reason for buying our car that’s different.”
Robinson is fuzzy about Acura’s brand direction but says boosting fuel economy is a major focus, noting any technology that improves fuel economy is “something we’re going to be looking at.”
Those technologies include direct injection, cylinder deactivation, hybrid-electric vehicles and the possible migration of the 2.3L turbocharged 4-cyl. in the RDX small cross/utility vehicle to other Acura models.
Expanding the engine’s use is “another one of those things we’re looking at as an option to improve fuel economy and another one that has the potential to offer both fuel economy and power,” Robinson says.
Direct injection, while enabling more efficient combustion, has downsides such as added cost and noise, he says. A nearer-term fuel-economy solution is Acura’s first 6-speed automatic transmission, rolling out in the ’10 MDX CUV, as well as the new ’10 ZDX 4-door sports coupe, later this year.
Compared with the ’09 MDX, which mated a 3.7L V-6 engine to a 5-speed automatic transmission, the ’10 MDX’s fuel-economy rating is expected to improve by 1 mpg (0.4 km/L) in both city and highway driving to 16-21 mpg (14.7-11.2 L/100 km) city/highway.
The 6-speed transmission eventually will make its way into other Acura models, Robinson says. Near-term it also is set to power the ZDX.
Despite Acura’s fuel-economy aspirations, don’t expect a diesel engine from the brand. Honda says the 4-cyl. i-DTEC turbodiesel mill, a version of which powers the European Honda Accord, sold as the TSX in the U.S., is delayed.
Sources told Ward’s last fall the engine was destined for the TSX.
Related Stories
New Honda CEO: U.S. Recovery to Take Two Years or More

Honda Cancels Acura Diesel

Reports of Acura’s Death Greatly Exaggerated, Says Exec

American Honda Motor Co. Inc. spokesman Chuck Schifsky says to get the diesel back on track isn’t a simple matter of picking up where development left off. Engineers would need to reevaluate diesel’s position in the U.S. market from the point in time they decide to reinsert the engine into the product pipeline.
However, Acura will use its Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive system to enhance its luxury cachet. Already featured on the RL and MDX, the system debuts this fall on the TL sedan, Robinson says.
“We like what it’s done for the brand. Our customers like it. It’s been a very good image thing for Acura,” he says. “The technology itself will continue to evolve.”
Customer research shows AWD is becoming a must-have feature for luxury buyers, Robinson says, regardless of where they live.
Other future strategies include introducing more variants of existing models. That already is taking place with the ’10 TSX, going on sale soon. It benefits from Acura’s optional 3.5L V-6 engine, a step up from its standard-equipment 2.4L inline 4-cyl.
“All of us now have to look at Civic-, Accord- and CR-V-type vehicles on the Honda side (and) that volume number,” says Schifsky. “I don’t know if we’re ever going to see those kinds of (high-volume) vehicles crop up again.”
“Niching the niche of a niche” is any auto maker’s best hope for volume growth and expansion of its lineup, he adds. “We’re in as good a position as anybody to capitalize on that (strategy).”
cschweinsberg@wardsauto.com
Old 07-30-09, 05:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

They will not my be first pick. I like and respect the cars they make but I wouldn't buy one for me ( my wife has a TL). I prefer RWD cars, and the V8 issue is not to appease buyers like me, but they do need to be oferred to compete with the big boys. Like the ISF , sometimes manufacturers need to build " me too" cars from time to time to be taken seriously and to remain at the forefront of what the market offers.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 08-01-09 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-30-09, 05:10 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

I'll take v10/v12 awd.
Old 07-30-09, 05:41 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

While the RWD/V8 issue has been long-discussed now, probably since Acura began selling, a new issue now is the polarizing styling and 'belt-buckle' grille. Having a consistent corporate face is one thing, but I'm not sure all the angles and sharp corners are benefiting Acura all that much. Their design direction may work for them, skew younger and edgier, but dropping wood trim (in favor of metallic plastic in some cases) and sharp instead of curvaceous lines are polarizing choices.
Old 07-30-09, 05:52 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Not even going to bother reading that entire thing. But it is sad to see that they canceled the diesel option (Nissan too).

To be honest, I wish they would just cancel the entire brand.
Old 07-30-09, 06:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i didn't really bother to read the whole thing. i am sure anything is possible (just a matter of probability), but instead of just all the talk, why don't they just do it and prove it?
Old 07-30-09, 06:09 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

This thread should be renamed, "Acura admits it is delusional".

Last edited by FKL; 07-31-09 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-30-09, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Robinson says Ito’s remarks were not defeatist in any way, just his way of saying Acura wants to carve out its own version of luxury instead of following competitors.
I think this sentence says it all. One can debate forever about whether Acura SHOULD do V8s and RWD, and we have certainly had our share of discussions in CAR CHAT about that in numerous different threads. But, if you look at history and facts, Acura, in fact, has managed to stay around with the platforms they have, notwithstanding that the newer RL's have not sold well. Acura was selling cars (and making money) in the mid-late 1980's, while Lexus and Infiniti were still nothing but corporate concepts in the planning stages. And, despite endless complaining about the V6 and FWD/AWD platforms, they are STILL in buisness.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-30-09 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
This thread should be renamed, "Acura admits it us delusional".
Acura make make some vehicles with silly-looking grilles and rear ends, but they are anything but a delusion. They are still around, and very much in buisness.
Old 07-30-09, 06:33 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Acura was selling cars (and making money) in the mid-late 1980's, while Lexus and Infiniti were still nothing but corporate concepts in the planning stages
Wow,, this statement caught me off guard. Completely forgot that thay have been around in the states since '86. Made me go back and think for a moment.

Following a decade of research, Honda opened 60 new dealerships in North America, by 1986, to support its Acura automobile division. Acura was the first Japanese luxury brand to be introduced,[1] and its initial offering consisted of two models: the Legend, a V6-powered sedan, and the Integra, available as a five-door and three-door hatchback.[3] The success of these models led to competing Japanese luxury brand ventures (Toyota's Lexus and Nissan's Infiniti).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura

Last edited by trukn1; 07-30-09 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 06:35 PM
Epik151
Driver

lol wrong.
Old 07-30-09, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Epik151
lol wrong.
It is a fact that Acura has been selling cars in the American market since 1986. That is beyond debate. What IS debatable (and the subject of this thread) is if the company needs new platforms to advanced into so-called "Tier 1" status. There, opinions differ. I'm not convinced they do, but I respect the opinions of those who think otherwise.
Old 07-30-09, 06:43 PM
LexFather

I am going to assumed without a link, this thread is a joke, like the styling and the entire brand.
OFFICIAL ACURA GIF
Originally Posted by SNiiP3R

Last edited by LexFather; 07-30-09 at 06:48 PM.

Old 07-30-09, 06:44 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check post 10,, I went back and re-edited to quote the source for Acura origin.
Old 07-30-09, 06:47 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL pretty much sums it up.

Quick Reply: ACURA says it can achieve Tier-1 status without RWD and V8s