Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How and when did your love for cars begin????

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 05:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default How and when did your love for cars begin????

For me it was when I was in 5th grade. It was the *** of a Lamborghini Countach that did it for me. I used to go to the library with my dad when I was a kid and would always go through the magazines. One day I came across a Car magazine that had the back of a Lamborghini Countach on the cover with the statement " This car can break the US national speed limit in first gear". That statement mixed with the awesome beauty of the lines of the car sparked a love that has lasted decades. This is what sparked my interest in cars. I have searched for back issues of the magazine but cant find it. What did it for you, and how old were you????
Attached Thumbnails How and when did your love for cars begin????-lamborghini-countach.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-30-09 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm probably a LOT older than you are.....and older than most of the guys on this forum.
My love of cars started in the early 60s, when I was around 10 years old. I developed an attachment to two classes of cars from the 1960's, the classic American muscle cars and the big, plush, soft-riding luxury cars of the day, though I could also tolerate some low-priced compacts if they were done well. I despised the Chevy Corvair, which I thought, for a number of reasons, was a POS, and still think so to this day. I started reviewing cars as a teen-ager in high school, though not writing them up on the Internet like today, of course. Got my license at 16, and have had it over 40 years.

Since then, of course, my auto leanings have changed somewhat. By 1984, after very bad experiences with American-designed cars of the late 1970's and early 80s, I became convinced of the quality superiority of Japanese makes, and was converted. But my biggest conversion, of course, has been, recently, to AWD.......I probably won't own another vehicle without it for some time.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-30-09 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 05:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

It was the Diablo and Countach posters I had on my wall. Plus my Uncle was a car nut as well. And the rest is history.
Old 07-30-09, 05:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I think many of us have had the older version of this poster on our walls when we were kids
Attached Thumbnails How and when did your love for cars begin????-ptw-125.jpg  
Old 07-30-09, 06:22 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For me, it was when I was working a summer job overseas (London). One of my bosses was a car enthusiast and had a sick TVR (I can't recall the exact model). He took me on a test drive and I was addicted from that day forward.
Old 07-30-09, 06:25 PM
MELLO*SOS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL Yeah I remember that poster! Growing up in the 80s I was fascinated with lambos and ferraris... Porsches... Always wanted one and I guess I've been on a mission ever since LOL. Guess I'll have to settle for my s13, s14 and ucf20 for now haha
Old 07-30-09, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Damn. Did ALL of you guys get attracted to the world of cars over just one or two posters?
Old 07-30-09, 06:35 PM
allklr
Pole Position

Damn right I had that poster!!! The Countach was the IT car
Old 07-30-09, 06:53 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think many of us have had the older version of this poster on our walls when we were kids
LOL,, I remember that poster, and had the older version of it on my wall as well. Of course back then it read,,"He with the most toys,WINS!!!"

I first became fascinated with cars back in the early 70's. My aunt was/is a big car fan and I just took it to the next level. She used to always take me to the local car shows/custom car shows/World of Wheels/ etc. and I never looked back. Back then I was her shadow, and went with her EVERYWHERE!!! Think that is where my love of travel/driving comes from as well. I, too, fell victim to the beautiful Lamborghini Countach and that was it,,,,GAME OVER!!!
Old 07-30-09, 07:10 PM
LexFather

Its odd for my b/c my dad is not really a car guy, nor really anyone close to me as a child. I just remember loving cars since I was a kid. I kind of wish I had that same opinion of cars as I didn't know/read so much. I remember loving the Chevy Corsica and Beretta GTZ!!

Knight Rider was influential, Smokey and the Bandit, Transformers, MASK and yes the Countach and Testerossa was big with me, as well as a Pantera. During the early 1990s, I was big on most all Hondas/Acuras and the Ford Probe!!

Overall I don't really remember the first time I was like "OMG I love cars". I do remember going to the NY Auto Show for the first time as a child and thinking "AWESOME"!

Old 07-30-09, 07:14 PM
Jakex1
Pole Position

The diablo and the testarossa
Old 07-30-09, 07:51 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seeing michael dell's yellow ferrari testarossa pretty often around our neighborhood when I was a child (middle school or so)
Old 07-30-09, 08:54 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR

I still have the older version of this poster!!

i guess it started as a little kid around eight, with hot wheels and matchbox cars. like many first only liked european exotics, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, then liking the Corvette, then around 12, 1991- the japanese supercars started coming- the 300zx and the NSX!!- that was it for me, I became a lifelong car fan!
Old 07-30-09, 09:25 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

As a kid it was in the mid 80's when i saw a countach on tv and of course the knight rider series and gulp the Delorean. Testarosa was also huge.

But really only when i got my license around '94 when i used to see these neighbors cars on my block like a white Supra, red RX-7 and silver M3 that i started to go ballistic about cars. It wasn't too bad, i had my '88 Maxima, thought i was really pimpin
Old 07-30-09, 11:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I think this is going to be a cool thread. I remeber seeing cannonball run as a kid and seeing the cop struggle to keep up with the black Lamborghini. It also had a spoiler on the hood and the rear of the car which fascinated me. It looked like it could fly
Attached Thumbnails How and when did your love for cars begin????-1121112screenshot480x272.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-30-09 at 11:58 PM.

Quick Reply: How and when did your love for cars begin????