Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LS460 VS Ford Taurus Paint Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-09, 01:31 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
Ford got Tanner Foust to do ads for the Taurus?
weird they would choose him...

also that decibels ad...
decibels is logarithmic so is it really 5%? (too late for me to do math)
that's the mistake I caught.

99 vs 102 is not 5%

the taurus is 3-4 TIMES quieter.

but in real world tests, you probably can't tell much

that damn lexus paint. I thought they were supposed to use stronger paint for the hood?
Can't you have chip-resistant environmentally friendly paint?
Old 07-31-09, 02:13 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I heard the hand-sanding mirror like finish was propaganda.
This is a video clip of the Lexus process for the RX, built at the Canada plant. There is a little more to the video that is not there, since it was edited to post oif the site. I watched the show whaen it came on the Discovery channel. The paint processs by itself is 11 hours(for each vehicle) to cover a 1.3 mile stretch of factory. Before ANY of the cars are approved to pass final quality inspection, the paint itself will have been inspected a MINIMUM of 1000 times. Am I saying that the paint that Lexus uses is superior to everyone else's; no. I am saying that Lexus takes their "attention to detail" to a level that FEW other manufacturer's can touch.

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/index...iles.DISCOVERY

Here is another link I found on their manufacturing process,,,
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2009/04/3...-details/#more

Last edited by trukn1; 07-31-09 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-31-09, 07:18 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx
haha i remember the taurus it was the "student driver" car for our driving school. those were the days
They still are, just finished drivers ed and we drove a 2007 tarus, it was so ****ty, but htting a million curbs a day would take its toll on any car, we did have a new fusion to and it was actually decent, smelled funny though, but again, driver's ed car
Old 07-31-09, 07:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
when Ford can say that their cars are hand sanded in the painting process, then they can start saying something
not taking anything away from lexus wonderful paint jobs, but i don't want (or really don't care if) a car hand sanded. that can't be anywhere near as precise as machines doing it.
Old 07-31-09, 07:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Obviously produced by Ford and biased towards their new car, but just an interesting video plus food for thought.

And yes, I know lexus uses a weaker paint due to their stricter environmental impact measures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO10wV8Qhy4
finally watched the video, wow, impressive. and the taurus LOOKED great too. some of the lower trim levels with ugly wheels hurt it some, but the one in that video at least looked really good.
Old 07-31-09, 08:00 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

I just love marketing people, they're about one hair higher on the ladder of life from lawyers. Of all the cars my family has ever owned, probably the most chip resistent was our 1984 Plymouth Voyager. So, if we take that same ending statement from the commercial and apply say the Voyager compared to a Lamborghini... "the Voyager paint was so superior... wonder how superior the rest of the car is compared to a Countach... ????"
Old 07-31-09, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
Am I saying that the paint that Lexus uses is superior to everyone else's; no. I am saying that Lexus takes their "attention to detail" to a level that FEW other manufacturer's can touch.
While the durability of the paint may be in question, there's little or no doubt, in my experience, that Lexus does the smoothest, glossiest, most mirror-like paint job among any manufacturer of mass-produced cars. While some others come close, like Audi, Acura, Cadillac, Infiniti, the Dodge/Chrysler Inferno Red (an extra-cost paint), and even Toyota, Lexus paint, for physical attractiveness, is in a class by itself.........especially with the gorgeous Matador Red.

In my auto reviews, I often compare paint jobs on other cars to what I have found on Lexus products, which I consider the industry standard. Of course, smoothness and a mirror-like finish is one thing; hardness and resistance to chipping may be quite another. Ford and Infiniti may (?) have upstaged Lexus in that area.
Old 07-31-09, 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One thing, IMO, that would solve the whole problem of front-end chipping once and for all, without the use of special paints, bras or deflectors, is if manufacturers simply stopped painting front ends and used either black or body-color (preferably body-color) cladding around the whole front end.....bumper, headlights, grille, and the front part of the hood. Pebbles and gravel would simply put tiny, almost invisible nicks in the cladding instead of the nice paint or chrome. I don't know why more manufacturers don't do this.
Old 07-31-09, 08:37 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, it's nice, of course, if Ford can do a better job than Lexus of making chip-resistant paint and finish, but it overlooks two things. First, Infiniti has been doing chip-resistant (virtually chip-proof) paint for a couple of years now. Second, the very NEED to make chip-resistant paint in the first place only arose because highway construction and accident clean-up crews don't properly clean up the mess and debris behind them, and lazy truckers don't load, cover, and/or tie down their truck beds properly. The fact that there is so much loose debris on the highways and on dump trucks to start with is what is really outrageous....and, of course, beyond the control of car companies.
Excellent post (though I would expect nothing less from you )

pagemaster: two things, (1) you can quote multipule posts in your one post if you want to respond to multipule people and (2) why do you always have to put a spin on your comments such that it will (a) provoke other people to call you out on all your misinformation (causing your self to loose cred) or (b) cause others to get pi$$ed off for little to no reason?

Last edited by Faymester; 07-31-09 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-31-09, 08:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not taking anything away from lexus wonderful paint jobs, but i don't want (or really don't care if) a car hand sanded. that can't be anywhere near as precise as machines doing it.
not really. it depends on the skills. the point of the hand sanding is to take out uneven areas or so with trained eyes. that does not mean the final buffing and polishing. a machine can't really do that good of a job, otherwise cars out there would have better paint surface than the LS, and lexus wouldn't use this specific process on the LS and not other lexus models (and at the same time with LS having noticeably better paint finish than other lexus models)
Old 07-31-09, 08:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
Excellent post (though I would expect nothing less from you )
Thanks, Faymester. There are many excellent posts (and posters) in CAR CHAT.
Old 07-31-09, 09:01 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Faymester. There are many excellent posts (and posters) in CAR CHAT.
Oh, I couldn't agree more. I just concurred with what you said SO much I felt the need to say so
Old 07-31-09, 11:29 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I just love marketing people, they're about one hair higher on the ladder of life from lawyers. Of all the cars my family has ever owned, probably the most chip resistent was our 1984 Plymouth Voyager. So, if we take that same ending statement from the commercial and apply say the Voyager compared to a Lamborghini... "the Voyager paint was so superior... wonder how superior the rest of the car is compared to a Countach... ????"

hahah
Old 08-01-09, 05:40 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
not really. it depends on the skills. the point of the hand sanding is to take out uneven areas or so with trained eyes. that does not mean the final buffing and polishing. a machine can't really do that good of a job, otherwise cars out there would have better paint surface than the LS, and lexus wouldn't use this specific process on the LS and not other lexus models (and at the same time with LS having noticeably better paint finish than other lexus models)
True. Machines (I assume you mean a DA sander) is not the way to wet sand a finish to perfection. The most perfect reflection and smoothness can only come from hand sanding/blocking. No machine can even come close. Also, the masters at Lexus that do the sanding on the LS460 are the best there is. They are referred to as "Takumi" To become a Takumi, it takes 20 plus years of specific experience. They are true craftsman at what they do and it's doubtful that many people are better.
http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/Moto...030-97160.html

Last edited by IS350jet; 08-01-09 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-01-09, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
True. Machines (I assume you mean a DA sander) is not the way to wet sand a finish to perfection. The most perfect reflection and smoothness can only come from hand sanding/blocking. No machine can even come close. Also, the masters at Lexus that do the sanding on the LS460 are the best there is. They are referred to as "Takumi" To become a Takumi, it takes 20 plus years of specific experience. They are true craftsman at what they do and it's doubtful that many people are better.
http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/Moto...030-97160.html
Yep. This shows, in the quality of Lexus paint jobs. Among mass-produced cars, for showmanship, they are, IMO, the best. As the video shows, though, they may not be the most durable.

Quick Reply: LS460 VS Ford Taurus Paint Test