Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010-2011 Motor Trend Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-09, 08:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
[B]
We have NEVER had better cars.
In some ways, today's cars ARE better than in the past. But there are a number of exceptions. One of them, IMO, is the quality of many of today's interiors, which, in a number of cases, is far lower than say, those of 10-15 years ago (the Camry and Tundra are probably the best examples of this). Another is thinner, less-durable sheet metal and glass. Another is the preoccupation with big wheels, stiffer suspensions, and low-profile tires on many cars that don't really need them. Another is ridiculously overcrowded and covered-up underhood compartments. Still another is the prevalence today of some really silly and ugly styling, with some outlandish grilles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-31-09 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-31-09, 09:12 PM
amdave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just buy the Lexus LS for an excellent long term car and lease s 3-series to mix it up once in a while. Variety is the spice of life after all.

I would never buy a BMW - in my experience they have horrible customer service and after the 4 yr warranty is up a lot of expensive troubles start happening.
Old 07-31-09, 09:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by amdave
I would never buy a BMW - in my experience they have horrible customer service and after the 4 yr warranty is up a lot of expensive troubles start happening.
That's why so many of them, in the past, have gone out on 2-4 year leases instead.
Old 07-31-09, 09:45 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ES350: "How to pay too much for a gussied-up Camry" agree (this will never go away IMO talking about ES)
GS: "Struggling to set itself apart" agree
HS250h: "How to pay too much for a gussied-up Prius" agree (maybe tad harsh)
IS/ISC/ISF: "Close to a 3 series but still no cigar" agree
LF-A: "Ferrari money for a Lexus? We'll see" agree
LS: "Still nice, no longer nicest" agree

C: "More people friendly than 3 series" agree (compares to BMW, big deal)
CL: "Grand touring, Benz style" agree (saying it's a Grand Benz)
E Coupe: "The blue-chip coupe" agree (whatever this means)
E Sedan: "Built to a standard, not a price" agree (definitely the benchmark)
S: "Benchmark sedan just raised the bar" agree (definitely the benchmark)
SL: "Benchmark sport-lux roadster" agree (definitely the benchmark)
SLK: "SL for beginners" agree (compares to MB)
SLS: "Mercedes reinvents gullwing" agree (just fact)

I don't have problem with these sum-ups... main attacks on Lexus is design IMO, which is reasonable.

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 07-31-09 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-31-09, 09:51 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
ES350: "How to pay too much for a gussied-up Camry" agree (this will never go away IMO talking about ES)
GS: "Struggling to set itself apart" agree
HS250h: "How to pay too much for a gussied-up Prius" agree (maybe tad harsh)
IS/ISC/ISF: "Close to a 3 series but still no cigar" agree
LF-A: "Ferrari money for a Lexus? We'll see" agree
LS: "Still nice, no longer nicest" agree

C: "More people friendly than 3 series" agree (compares to BMW, big deal)
CL: "Grand touring, Benz style" agree (saying it's a Grand Benz)
E Coupe: "The blue-chip coupe" agree (whatever this means)
E Sedan: "Built to a standard, not a price" agree (definitely the benchmark)
S: "Benchmark sedan just raised the bar" agree (definitely the benchmark)
SL: "Benchmark sport-lux roadster" agree (definitely the benchmark)
SLK: "SL for beginners" agree (compares to MB)
SLS: "Mercedes reinvents gullwing" agree (just fact)

I don't have problem with these sum-ups... main attacks on Lexus is design IMO, which is reasonable.

+1 agree
Old 07-31-09, 10:35 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
imho, it depends. if i want a car in the LS segment, i don't need road feel, LS is pretty good choice. when i drive a car in the GS segment (semi sports sedan), i actually like the feel of the 5. not to mention if i am in the IS segment, the 3 series is so much sportier. it's not about pushing the car to the limit, but it's the confidence the car is giving you. not saying lexus can't handle though, i know they can. but for the same handling capability, imho cars like bmw will give you more confidence

in the end, it's up to the owner to choose what kind of car he/she wants. comfort vs road feel
Mostly agree, but even though the LS is the smoothest riding car I've had so far, I still think it has a little too much road feel even in the comfort mode, the ultimate luxury cruiser that should be made should have NO road feel at all, like it is hovering above the road

If I want road feel and sporty handling, I would just get a real sports car, one that is smaller and light weight, as a personal fun car.
Old 07-31-09, 11:24 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the distinct pleasure of having access to an LS 460 because my father has one. Compared to my IS 350 driving the LS feels like you're on a cloud, it's nuts. So smooth.

The interior is definitely a LOT more plush and "executive" like than my IS. My dad had a Mercedes S500 before this (mid-90s).

My uncle has an S550 (and a lexus LX 470) and I had the distinct pleasure of being able to ride in it pretty often.

I think the interior in the LS gets the slight nod over the S.

The problem I have with the S is from certain angles the rear lights look just terrible.

But, from other angles they look just fine.

I REALLY prefer the older generation S 500 styling. New one is not for me although it's probably a moot point because I could not afford a car of that class if I wanted to.
Old 08-01-09, 12:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Mostly agree, but even though the LS is the smoothest riding car I've had so far, I still think it has a little too much road feel even in the comfort mode, the ultimate luxury cruiser that should be made should have NO road feel at all, like it is hovering above the road

If I want road feel and sporty handling, I would just get a real sports car, one that is smaller and light weight, as a personal fun car.
true, the ls460 already has more road feel than the ls430. i guess it's a toss, i have a feeling lexus is trying to get a bit closer to euros without losing their roots
Old 08-01-09, 06:06 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

who reads MT anyway?

nevertheless, I also agree with their summary one-liners about lexus.

let's stop being fanboys for a second, and see the truth for a minute.

then you can go back to being fanboys.
Old 08-01-09, 06:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
That's because the LS went to larger wheels and lower-profile tires from the 430 to the 460. I have complained before, in numerous posts, about "luxury" cars trying to be more like sport sedans. Now, perhaps, you can see why. The ES350 has the same problem....they stiffened the tires and suspension up over the 330.
Old 08-01-09, 10:31 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Nospinzone
The thing you have to realize about these writers is that they are on a strictly "pay to play" basis. You grease their palm, they'll grease your review. It is even worse now with advertising revenue squeezing them tighter than a torque wrench.

These clowns actually make that Illinois governor who tried to sell Obama's senate seat look like a straight shooter!
The thing YOU have to realize is every word in your post is false!

Car magazines income is derived from advertisers only. The writers are all underpaid but pursue this career because they love cars. Half the staff of Car & Driver was engineers before management started encouraging them to leave. I went thru the same thing in the car testdriving field & quit a job I loved for the access to cars not the low salary. Car & Driver usually sells almost twice as many mags as any other mag. Them & the other top mags got that way by coveying factual & subjective information to readers who are unable to test drive vehicles enough to make good buying decisions. If their words were influenced by anything other than the vehicles noone would value their opinion & buy their words
Old 08-01-09, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Car magazines income is derived from advertisers only.
If that was the case, then they wouldn't be charging the public for subscriptions, although, granted, much of what they print (and their forums) can be found free, on-line.

The writers are all underpaid but pursue this career because they love cars. Half the staff of Car & Driver was engineers before management started encouraging them to leave. I went thru the same thing in the car testdriving field & quit a job I loved for the access to cars not the low salary. Car & Driver usually sells almost twice as many mags as any other mag. Them & the other top mags got that way by coveying factual & subjective information to readers who are unable to test drive vehicles enough to make good buying decisions. If their words were influenced by anything other than the vehicles noone would value their opinion & buy their words
I agree that C&D is the best of the regular monthly "enthusiast" car mags, especially since Brock Yates left. Some have complained that they are too enamored with BMW and Honda products. I partially but don't totally agree.

Autoweek, IMO, is another good publication....and they come out by the week, not just once a month. I've thought highly of them, and they have published a number of my auto comments.
Old 08-01-09, 09:16 PM
LexFather

Mike I'm getting Autoweek now for free. I used to subscribe about 18-14 years ago I believe. Not impressed. The thing is Autoweek was great BEFORE the internet was big. It came weekly (not bi-weekly) and you got a lot of first news.

Today its just re-reading whats in Car Chat . I do like the fact its bigger and its all color now.

Old 08-01-09, 10:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

with the vast and up to date (and often wrong ) info on the web, car magazines are basically 'dead men walking' except for those who enjoy nice printed color photos and some good road trip stories and reviews and can't be bothered to look online.

car magazines have also been slaughtered because of VIDEO - both tv/cable shows, and youtube, etc.
Old 08-01-09, 10:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My C&D and R&T still hasn't hit my mailbox yet.....

Quick Reply: 2010-2011 Motor Trend Reviews