Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010-2011 Motor Trend Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-09, 03:56 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010-2011 Motor Trend Reviews

Has anyone seen the September Motor Trend? They have a short review for 168 models to come out in 2010 and 2011.

They break down their short reviews in a couple sections but ends with a section called "Sum Up". Here's what they said about the Lexus line in their "Sum Up" section...

ES350: "How to pay too much for a gussied-up Camry"
GS: "Struggling to set itself apart"
HS250h: "How to pay too much for a gussied-up Prius"
IS/ISC/ISF: "Close to a 3 series but still no cigar"
LF-A: "Ferrari money for a Lexus? We'll see"
LS: "Still nice, no longer nicest"

You would think the magazine is published by Mercedes...

C: "More people friendly than 3 series"
CL: "Grand touring, Benz style"
E Coupe: "The blue-chip coupe"
E Sedan: "Built to a standard, not a price"
S: "Benchmark sedan just raised the bar"
SL: "Benchmark sport-lux roadster"
SLK: "SL for beginners"
SLS: "Mercedes reinvents gullwing"

I would guess reliability was not a factor in their evaluations.
Old 07-31-09, 09:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol you pick up a car and driver and read about bmw

to me a lot of these mags are for "fun" only, nothing more
Old 07-31-09, 10:54 AM
JTS09
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Motor Trend and Car/Driver Data

Saw this on the newstand and eagerly picked it up , hoping for some good tidbits on the new model data. Should have known there would not be much on the new 460 as Lexus is always extremely guarded on letting any potential Spy Photos and detail leaks out. Anyway, was also equally dissapointed as once again, they just don't seem to like Lexus, especially when they put the marque up against BMW and MB.
Most of the Tier 1 mags are down on Lexus, despite all the critical praise for many of the items that really matter, such as Dependability, Attention to Detail, Superb Craftsmanship, Engine Design and all the associated, exteremly important deatils that make the cars exceptional. They just don't feel that they are "Drivers Cars" so they dissmiss the line time and time again. They will forgive MB, BMW and Porsche over and over again for major dependability and maintenece issues, as they just like those brands. I agree, the value of these mag's is for basic details, passing interest and general entertainment only. J.

Last edited by JTS09; 07-31-09 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-31-09, 12:08 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think those mags have an audience that caters to the all important "Drivers Car" and how exhilarating they are to drive regardless of their reliability. Lets face it - writing about how reliable a car can be is boring and doesn't sell many magazines. However, Consumer Reports, who has a very different audience, advises Lexus has some of the best cars on the planet. Therefore, one has to consider the source.

However, NewCarTestDrive.com (www.nctd.com) says:

Lexus surpasses other luxury brands in terms of quality, durability, reliability, and desirability among American buyers, an astounding performance. The flagship sedan that started out as the LS 400 and then grew up as the LS 430 is now the Lexus LS 460. The Lexus LS challenges all comers as the best luxury sedan in the world. It competes with the Mercedes-Benz E-Class and S-Class, BMW 5 Series and 7 Series, and a few others.

For more check - http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm...&ReviewID=4634
Old 07-31-09, 12:13 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Motor Trend: Not worth the paper it's printed on!

For some reason, the 'buyer's guide' sections/issues of MT and C&D both have had it in for Lexus, although ironically enough, it seems that MT articles may be a tad more favorable (despite giving comparos to the Veracruz/SRX over the RX even when they note the latter's superiority) than their review blurbs, while C&D has both equal parts review nastiness and sometimes cruel guide info, but not always. Automobile seems to have more unbiased coverage in both.

It's funny though to see the MT and C&D guides save their 'best zingers' for the Lexus line. I skimmed through recent years' issues and they had the worst sum-ups for Lexus vs. other brands, Chevrolet, Acura, etc.

As 1SICKLEX pointed out, he's done with C&D after they claimed the HS 250h was a 'gussied-up Prius' -- that's uninformed and uneducated, and factually wrong. ES/Camry is correct, but when they resort to outright misleading statements, you know how much they value their integrity. It's likely that with magazine sales in decline, the old guard has retired and now some 20-something gearheads with a penchant for sensationalist bashing have taken the role.

It also strikes me that these so-called gearheads are more dismissive in part because of the success at Lexus. They want to deny Lexus' legitimate competition with the German old guard, and so put them down whatever chance they get.

In any case, those brief blurbs are nothing more than snippy spew and should be taken as such. By contrast, although critical, Consumer Reports and ConsumerGuide buyer's guides are much more thorough in evaluating strengths and weaknesses.
Old 07-31-09, 02:47 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

The thing you have to realize about these writers is that they are on a strictly "pay to play" basis. You grease their palm, they'll grease your review. It is even worse now with advertising revenue squeezing them tighter than a torque wrench.

These clowns actually make that Illinois governor who tried to sell Obama's senate seat look like a straight shooter!
Old 07-31-09, 02:52 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

BTW, did you see the pics of the Buick Lacrosse (article on p. 44)? If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, the LS 460 must be tickled pink!
Old 07-31-09, 02:53 PM
ls460love
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are simply myopic. If the vehicle withstands the segment review, is predominately fun and sharply styled, they place it at the top of the list. Reliability who?

Only a select few get long term tested. That said, they (I don't remember C&D or RT) said that the LS460 was one ride they all fought over and hated to let go of at the end of the term...
Old 07-31-09, 03:36 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
BTW, did you see the pics of the Buick Lacrosse (article on p. 44)? If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, the LS 460 must be tickled pink!
Amen! But, in person, the the LaCrosse comes across looking stilted compared to the LS460.
Old 07-31-09, 04:54 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I was following an LS look-alike last evening from a block away and thought, "Gotta get close and see if it's a 460 or a 600". So, I step on it a bit and Lo & Behold, my eyes had fooled me, here was a brand new 750i. The form, from the rear anyway was eerily similar to the current LS. I realize imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but wasn't there an howl a few years back from the Bimmer Boards decrying the gall that Lexus had to copy "certain" design cues from them? How times change. I'll have to wander over there now to see how innovative they think BMW is now...

Anyway Mods, shouldn't this discussion be in the Car Chat forum so others can comment?
Old 07-31-09, 06:39 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JTS09
Most of the Tier 1 mags are down on Lexus, despite all the critical praise for many of the items that really matter, such as Dependability, Attention to Detail, Superb Craftsmanship, Engine Design and all the associated, exteremly important deatils that make the cars exceptional. They just don't feel that they are "Drivers Cars" so they dissmiss the line time and time again. They will forgive MB, BMW and Porsche over and over again for major dependability and maintenece issues, as they just like those brands.
Dependability is not #1 in eveyone's book. especially with the recent gain in German reliability. Does it really matter if one's Lexus average 1 problem per 3 years or another person's BMW average 1.5 problems per 3 years, BTW those are the lastest JD power long term relaibilty results. Personally, I would rather have a car that is fun to drive and chance that 0.5 problem in 3 years.
Old 07-31-09, 07:49 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How often does someone "drive" beyond the capabilities of any car? Yes, BMW and MB class for class probably bests Lexus in "handling" but beyond jamming it on a merge, or busting through a curve, how often are you "feeling the road?" So, for those perhaps 10% that you max out a vehicle, you'd take the 90% of the time that it's harsher as a cruiser?

That's like dating the hot, drop dead gorgeous blonde, who's great in bed for four days out of the month, but can't do lick around the house... rather than dating the very attractive brunette, who also can cook, clean, and make money.

I'll take the brunette Lexus any day... the blonde will probably end up being unfaithful anyway...
Old 07-31-09, 08:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by G2Lexus
Has anyone seen the September Motor Trend? They have a short review for 168 models to come out in 2010 and 2011.

They break down their short reviews in a couple sections but ends with a section called "Sum Up". Here's what they said about the Lexus line in their "Sum Up" section...

ES350: "How to pay too much for a gussied-up Camry"
GS: "Struggling to set itself apart"
HS250h: "How to pay too much for a gussied-up Prius"
IS/ISC/ISF: "Close to a 3 series but still no cigar"
LF-A: "Ferrari money for a Lexus? We'll see"
LS: "Still nice, no longer nicest"

You would think the magazine is published by Mercedes...

C: "More people friendly than 3 series"
CL: "Grand touring, Benz style"
E Coupe: "The blue-chip coupe"
E Sedan: "Built to a standard, not a price"
S: "Benchmark sedan just raised the bar"
SL: "Benchmark sport-lux roadster"
SLK: "SL for beginners"
SLS: "Mercedes reinvents gullwing"

I would guess reliability was not a factor in their evaluations.
I am SO glad you started this thread as I burned them all at Barnes and Nobles and got kicked out last week . I could not BELIEVE how they butchered Lexus. Then I read the entire list and they butchered EVERYONE it seems and of course gave the usual Euro bias. It was rare to see 4 stars on a 5 point scale.

You would think today's cars are HORRIFIC according to their ratings. We have NEVER had better cars. They just BLASTED most anything for whatever childish reason.

That is why I get this magazines FREE. Complete garbage journalism.

I am seriously contemplating starting my own magazine. The same old comments and crap reviews are tired and redundant. People deserve beter.

Old 07-31-09, 08:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol you pick up a car and driver and read about bmw
Not really. The days of the big auto mags worshipping at BMW's feet are over, despite their admiration for the 3-series. For several years now, you have started to see some non-BMW's win comparisons. That is also the case with the Honda Accord, another car that has been idolized by the auto press. Accords don't always come in first place any more, either.

However, I myself agree with them on one point....something they still espouse. Nothing, IMO, not even Porsche, compares with non-active BMW power-steering systems. They are in a class by themselves.
Old 07-31-09, 08:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
How often does someone "drive" beyond the capabilities of any car? Yes, BMW and MB class for class probably bests Lexus in "handling" but beyond jamming it on a merge, or busting through a curve, how often are you "feeling the road?" So, for those perhaps 10% that you max out a vehicle, you'd take the 90% of the time that it's harsher as a cruiser?

That's like dating the hot, drop dead gorgeous blonde, who's great in bed for four days out of the month, but can't do lick around the house... rather than dating the very attractive brunette, who also can cook, clean, and make money.

I'll take the brunette Lexus any day... the blonde will probably end up being unfaithful anyway...
imho, it depends. if i want a car in the LS segment, i don't need road feel, LS is pretty good choice. when i drive a car in the GS segment (semi sports sedan), i actually like the feel of the 5. not to mention if i am in the IS segment, the 3 series is so much sportier. it's not about pushing the car to the limit, but it's the confidence the car is giving you. not saying lexus can't handle though, i know they can. but for the same handling capability, imho cars like bmw will give you more confidence

in the end, it's up to the owner to choose what kind of car he/she wants. comfort vs road feel

Quick Reply: 2010-2011 Motor Trend Reviews