Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Suzuki Kizashi (Sport added from NY Auto Show)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-10, 02:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
The conversation regarding the mufflers is ridiculous. Who cares?

Are there ANY mid-size FWD $20K family sedans that have a true dual exhaust? NO.
Of course, most of us know that (but maybe not all).

The issue being discussed intially was are the dual tips at the back even exhaust outlets on this Suziki, or is there some hidden exhaust tip somewhere else, making the dual tips completely fake.
Old 04-03-10, 02:45 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

While I agree that it *appears* to be somewhat of a nice sedan for the money, saying
The Kizashi is a great car.
And
It has better driving dynamics than any other FWD sedan in the US market
Is utterly ridiculous.
Old 04-03-10, 03:14 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
While I agree that it *appears* to be somewhat of a nice sedan for the money, saying

And

Is utterly ridiculous.
Thanks for that brilliant post! Would you care to post some sort of actual rebuttal with an opinion supported by facts, or are you content with just being another crass hater?

Also, to lessen the general ignorance around here regarding the Kizashi, read through the long-term blog at Edmunds. They have nothing but positive things to say about it.

They even talk about the exhaust tips!!! So exciting, I know a lot of you will obviously find that interesting.

The exhaust tip setup/design is THE EXACT SAME CONCEPT as on the LS, 7-Series, and Ferrari California. Granted, those cars do a better job in terms of execution and neatness, but the Kizashi's setup is not any less "fake" than theirs!

Enjoy!

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...i-kizashi-gts/

PS/OT: Is there some way to selectively ignore certain members on CL so their posts never show up in threads I read? I know this is possible on other forums. EDIT: Never mind, found it.
Old 04-03-10, 03:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Edmunds summary of Suzuki Kizashi review:

2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl CVT)
Pros: High-quality interior, athletic handling, ample features, available all-wheel drive.
Cons: Limited dealer network, CVT makes engine drone during acceleration, jumbo stereo font.
Old 04-03-10, 03:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Sales of this car have been averaging less than 300 per month YTD. Not setting the world on fire, but they have an extremely limited dealership network.
Old 04-03-10, 05:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Motorweek said those dual exhaust things are cosmetic only.
The car has a single exhaust.
I took a look. Motorweek blew it, the dual exhaust things are not comestic only.

The single pipe branching into dual pipes all the way to the tips is very normal for a vast majority of 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder FWD layouts. Both tips are functioning exhaust tips.
Old 04-03-10, 06:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I took a look. Motorweek blew it, the dual exhaust things are not comestic only.

The single pipe branching into dual pipes all the way to the tips is very normal for a vast majority of 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder FWD layouts. Both tips are functioning exhaust tips.
Good catch...

Last edited by LexBob2; 04-03-10 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-03-10, 08:09 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Thanks for that brilliant post! Would you care to post some sort of actual rebuttal with an opinion supported by facts, or are you content with just being another crass hater?

Also, to lessen the general ignorance around here regarding the Kizashi, read through the long-term blog at Edmunds. They have nothing but positive things to say about it.

They even talk about the exhaust tips!!! So exciting, I know a lot of you will obviously find that interesting.

The exhaust tip setup/design is THE EXACT SAME CONCEPT as on the LS, 7-Series, and Ferrari California. Granted, those cars do a better job in terms of execution and neatness, but the Kizashi's setup is not any less "fake" than theirs!

Enjoy!

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...i-kizashi-gts/

PS/OT: Is there some way to selectively ignore certain members on CL so their posts never show up in threads I read? I know this is possible on other forums. EDIT: Never mind, found it.
Touch a nerve, did I? Listen, I never said the car was a POS. As a matter of fact, I've seen it on the road and it looks presentable, even somewhat elegant. I'm not a hater. You talk as if you own one, though. A "fan boy" if you will. Sorry if I offended you if you do, in fact, own one. I was simply pointing out the fact that your comments regarding the handling of the Kisashi were somewhat... laughable. Also, it is still much, much too early to call it a "great" car. It is a brand new model with absolutely no history, from a company with questionable reliability. No one can say if it is a great car.....yet.
My initial post regarding the dual exhaust had nothing to do with connected or non connected tailpipes. I know other manufacturers use this ploy as well, I just never understood the concept of dual exhaust outlets on a 4 cylinder car. It's kind of like putting twin outboard engines on a boat but making one of them fake just for looks. It doesn't make any sense. This is just my opinion. Didn't mean to ruffle anybody's feathers.

Last edited by IS350jet; 04-04-10 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-04-10, 01:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

it is for looks - looks good.
Old 04-04-10, 07:33 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf

Agreed. I think it just looks more balanced when you have two pipes coming out of the back. I mean even on the 2IS, does it really need two mufflers coming out of the back? It's only a single pipe after the cat and splits into two at the rear axle.

As far as the Kisashi goes, I like that interior. Looks like it has good build quality (at least in the pictures) and seems a lot more user friendly than any of the newer Hondas with a million buttons.
Old 04-04-10, 10:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Exactly, and buyers of premium cars demand it. So it's a little feature that even a downmarket Suzuki can have too.

The automakers justify it by touting the efficency gains (yes we know they are so small as to be almost insignificant) of the "dual" setups, that even the single pipe branching into twin pipes setups exhibit. Example: 2011 Sonata

My personal preference for (all) the reasons mentioned above, include it, give me the dual outlets.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-04-10 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-04-10, 11:41 AM
LexFather

I do agree that huge pipes on low hp cars is funny. However the is 250 and tsx for example have done it.

I'm not going to bish at the exhaust design like others did (and still do) to the IS-F. They looked really dumb when people posted pics showing exotics do the same thing

Old 04-04-10, 06:28 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I do agree that huge pipes on low hp cars is funny. However the is 250 and tsx for example have done it.

I'm not going to bish at the exhaust design like others did (and still do) to the IS-F. They looked really dumb when people posted pics showing exotics do the same thing
Mike, the issue isn't weather the tips are connected or not, it's the fact that they installed dual pipe extensions on a 4 cylinder, single bank, in-line engine. Many manufacturers are doing this now. A V6 or V8 has two banks, therefore, an exhaust outlet for each bank. But a 4 cylinder? It doesn't bother me. I still think it looks cool. I just never understood the concept on a 4 banger.
Old 04-05-10, 07:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Mike, the issue isn't weather the tips are connected or not, it's the fact that they installed dual pipe extensions on a 4 cylinder, single bank, in-line engine. Many manufacturers are doing this now. A V6 or V8 has two banks, therefore, an exhaust outlet for each bank. But a 4 cylinder? It doesn't bother me. I still think it looks cool. I just never understood the concept on a 4 banger.
Good clarrification, which is why I responded above:

Buyers of premium cars demand it. So it's a little feature that even a downmarket Suzuki can have too.

The automakers justify it by touting the efficency gains (yes we know they are so small as to be almost insignificant) of the "dual" setups, that even the single pipe branching into twin pipes setups exhibit. Example: 2011 Sonata

Overall most buyers prefer it, the automakers can justify it. I happen to like it even if the engine is a 4/5/6/8 cylinder with one or two banks of cylinders.
Old 04-05-10, 12:16 PM
LexFather

Gotcha...

My old pet peeve was the size of the exhaust on these 4 cylinders. Talk about false advertising in regards to power...

Now that EVO...... thats different.

Quick Reply: 2010 Suzuki Kizashi (Sport added from NY Auto Show)