Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Suzuki Kizashi (Sport added from NY Auto Show)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-10, 01:39 PM
LexFather

This car is aimed somewhat at the TSX looking at ads. The last TSX was 180 inches the current one nearly 185. So this is in between. Its another "tweener".

Old 08-10-10, 02:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This car is aimed somewhat at the TSX looking at ads. The last TSX was 180 inches the current one nearly 185. So this is in between. Its another "tweener".
That might be stretching it a little, Mike. The TSX may have a (roughly) similiar size, but it is in a completely different price class than the Kizashi, and appeals to a more upscale auto-buyer. The two, however, do share (or if not, soon will share) an AWD option.

As I see it, perhaps its closest competition in the American market could be the AWD Ford Fusion, though the Fusion is a little larger in size.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-10-10 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-10-10, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Or in short and simply stated, the Kizashi is classified by EPA as "compact car".
I agree my statement, from that point of view, was a little long-winded. I wasn't sure, though, if the article was referring to the EPA classification or simple exterior size.
Old 08-10-10, 03:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree my statement, from that point of view, was a little long-winded. I wasn't sure, though, if the article was referring to the EPA classification or simple exterior size.
I agree, but I tend to have a bias towards real data and facts, my quirk.
Old 08-10-10, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree, but I tend to have a bias towards real data and facts, my quirk.

Well, that part of it is not in dispute...you and I both know EPA classifications. One thing, though (and this is not opinion, but fact) is that the EPA ratings are often meaningless when you consider how that interior volume is actually shaped and used. Boxy designs are usually the most space-efficient inside, And, take the Nissan 350Z, for example....it has a big, thick cross-beam that runs across the center of the cargo-bed, therefore drastically affecting how the bed can be used to cary things. That problem, of course, was addressed on the newer 370Z....it was moved forward to the back of the two front seats. And many hybrids, of course (not all), have the same problem with their bulky battery-packs.
Old 08-10-10, 03:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, that part of it is not in dispute...you and I both know EPA classifications. One thing, though (and this is not opinion, but fact) is that the EPA ratings are often meaningless when you consider how that interior volume is actually shaped and used. Boxy designs are usually the most space-efficient inside, And, take the Nissan 350Z, for example....it has a big, thick cross-beam that runs across the center of the cargo-bed, therefore drastically affecting how the bed can be used to cary things. That problem, of course, was addressed on the newer 370Z....it was moved forward to the back of the two front seats. And many hybrids, of course (not all), have the same problem with their bulky battery-packs.
The EPA classifications are not meaningless, even if they are not perfect. Boxy vehicles have larger EPA capacities which is not surprising, which is why EPA lists both passenger and luggage volume with the classifications, to make the information useful.

The one isolated case of the 350Z is a rare exception and making a sweeping generalization about the entire EPA classification system is a poor example. (btw, the EPA classifies these cars as "two seaters" which is not inaccurate.)

And space taken by battery packs is another poor example, because it's not included in luggage space capacity by EPA. Just look up the GS350 and compare EPA luggage capacity for it versus GS hybrid for confirmation.

So again I prefer fact-based information.

btw-I think topic is the Suzuki K-car (with it's one competitive model that sells and limited dealer network).

Last edited by IS-SV; 08-10-10 at 04:33 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-10-10, 03:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The EPA classifications are what they are. Whether one agrees with them or not, they are the standard.

As mentioned before, Suzuki needs some kind of dealer network before most consumers will give them a second thought.
Old 08-10-10, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
As mentioned before, Suzuki needs some kind of dealer network before most consumers will give them a second thought.
The problem is that we may be in a Catch-22 cycle with Suzuki dealerships...a vicious circle. Prospective buisnesspeople and entrepeneurs aren't going to put up the money it takes to open up new dealerships, especially in a major recession, unless they are confident of sales and a profit........but the prospective sales probably won't be there to start with if they DON'T upen up and expand the dealerships.

I don't like to face this prospect again (IMO, we've lost too many car companies in America lately as it is, either from simply being dropped or leaving the American market), but it seems like Suzuki, sooner or later, may be joining them...and maybe Mitsubishi) Mike (1SICKLEX) and I have discussed that, in the past, several times.

(We just lost another one of the few new-car Mitsubishi dealerships in the area now...they are down to selling used cars and servicing Mitsubishis already sold)
Old 02-14-11, 09:14 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post 2011

Maybe it was my lukewarm review. Or maybe it was because Suzuki’s most ardent attempt to date to appeal to Americans connected with only 6,138 of them last year. Despite the unintended acceleration media circus, Toyota sold more Camrys in the average week. Whatever the reason, Suzuki revised the Kizashi after just 1 model year, transforming the two top trim levels into “Sport” models. Substitute a 6-speed manual and front-wheel-drive for the previous test’s CVT and all-wheel-drive, and the 2011 Kizashi certainly deserves another look.

The Kizashi’s sheetmetal hasn’t changed, so the exterior styling remains much less distinctive than the car’s name suggests it ought to be. That said, the “Sport” tweaks—a tasteful body kit, thinner-spoked wheels—highlight the car’s tight, athletic proportions and make its exterior almost memorable. I remain thankful that the then-new corporate front end introduced with the 2007 XL7 went no further than that SUV. Still, something about this car should mark it as a Suzuki, aside from the oversized S on the grille.

For a car priced in the mid-20s, the Kizashi continues to have an exceedingly well-appointed interior. Luxuriously upholstered door panels, a woven headliner, switchgear that’s a cut or two above the mid-20s norm, compartment lids that open with a dampened glide, and thorough red backlighting all contribute to a look and feel suitable to a car costing at least $10,000 more. Once the benchmark, the latest Volkswagen sedan interiors aren’t even close. The “Sport” revisions include a mildly restyled steering wheel and white stitching on the black leather seats. The latter serves to lighten up the almost overwhelmingly black interior. Would red stitching have been sportier, or at this point too much of a cliché?

Suzuki similarly aims to impress with the Kizashi’s features list, and generally succeeds. Especially nice to see at a $26,000 price: 3-stage heated leather power front seats, memory for the driver’s seat, a 425-watt Rockford Fosgate sound system, keyless access and ignition, rain-sensing wipers, and rear air vents.

Even before this year’s “Sport” revisions, Suzuki pitched the Kizashi as a driver’s car. The firm-yet-comfortable front buckets fit the bill, with side bolsters that (for once) actually provide even better lateral support than their appearance suggests they will. Size-wise, the Kizashi falls between a compact and a midsize, but this didn’t dissuade Suzuki from fitting seats a little larger than most these days, further contributing to the car’s premium feel.

The not-quite-midsize dimensions translate to a rear seat that is just large enough for the average adult. Those six-feet and up will wish for a true midsize. Kids, on the other hand, will wish for a lower beltline. In the Kizashi they struggle to see out. The driver fares a bit better, though the cowl is a bit high, the A-pillars are on the thick side, and the wheel must to tilted up a notch to avoid obstructing the classic white-on-black instruments.

When paired with the six-speed manual transmission and front-wheel-drive, the Kizashi’s 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine kicks out another 5 horsepower, for a total of 185 at 6,500 rpm, and must motivate about 240 fewer pounds, for a total around 3,250. So with a manual transmission the Kizashi is significantly quicker, and feels it. There’s not much power below the 4,000 rpm torque peak (where 170 foot-pounds can be found), so downshifts are a must for brisk acceleration. But in this powertrain the four sounds and feels smoother, with a pleasant zing, so winding it out is a joy. Even though the manual shifter is easily the least refined part of the car, with a clunky, sometimes even balky action, it’s far more enjoyable than the paddle-shiftable CVT.

Still missing, though much less missed with the stick: a more powerful optional engine.

The EPA rates the manual for 20 MPG city and 29 highway, compared to 23/30 with the CVT. The trip computer was wildly optimistic, reporting high 20s and low 30s in the suburbs and 42.6 on one trip, averaging 55 miles-per-hour with a single complete stop. I used a little over half of the 16.6-gallon tank in 176 miles, so the EPA numbers are probably about right.

Last year I suggested that the Kizashi’s chassis needed another round of tuning. With the “Sport,” it got it. Though the changes aren’t dramatic, the revised car handles more sharply and precisely, if still not quite as intuitively as the best sport sedans. Feedback through the steering wheel is subtle, but it’s there. The steering in a Buick Regal turbo (driven while I had the Kizashi) feels light and numb in comparison. The occasional float noted at highway speeds last year is gone, and the “Sport” generally feels more tied down. Better damping than anything from Korea contributes to very good body control when the pavement diverges from level and smooth. With the possible exception of the 1st-generation Acura TSX, no Japanese sedan has felt more European. The more I drove the Kizashi Sport SLS, the more I liked it.

1 mild reservation: the Dunlop SP Sport 7000s might be rated “all-season” tires, but their traction on snow is marginal. The stability control system doesn’t jump in too soon, and when it does operates unobtrusively. Turn it off and the Kizashi remains easy to control even on slick surfaces.

Even with the “Sport” tuning, the Kizashi’s ride remains quiet and polished. Though it can feel a little bumpy in casual driving on some roads, the motions are restrained and vertical rather than poorly controlled and head-tossing. Push the car more aggressively, and the tuning feels spot-on. Highly effective insulation often makes the car seem like it’s going 20 miles-per-hour slower than it actually is. Though this impacts driving enjoyment a bit, it’s a big plus on the highway.

With metallic paint, floormats, and satellite radio, the Kizashi Sport SLS lists for $26,049. (If you can do without heated leather seats and a few other features, you can save $1,800 with the Sport GTS.) The new Jetta GLI will cost about the same as the Sport SLS, but while it will be quicker it looks and feels like a much cheaper car. An Acura TSX is much closer in terms of size, materials, features, and performance—and lists for $4,421 more than the Suzuki. Adjust for remaining feature differences, and according to TrueDelta’s car price comparison tool the non-premium-branded car’s advantage actually increases, to over $5,000. Add in the Suzuki’s 7/100 powertrain warranty that, unlike Hyundai’s, is transferable, and the car is clearly a very good value.

“Kizashi” means “something great is coming.” With the “Sport” revisions, greatness might still not have arrived, but it’s certainly closer. The Suzuki’s exterior and interior dimensions resemble those of the B5 Volkswagen Passat and the 1st-generation Acura TSX, both of which appealed to people who wanted enough room for adults in the back seat without the bulk of a truly midsize sedan. The Kizashi’s features, materials, seats, ride, and overall refinement are all those of a much more expensive car, and not those of a compact sedan. The engine isn’t any more powerful this year, but (as is often the case) the manual transmission is worth about 50 horsepower in terms of driving enjoyment. The “Sport” tweaks subtly yet significantly upgrade the exterior appearance and the handling. Add it all up and, in Sport SLS trim with a manual transmission, the 2011 Kizashi is definitely worthy of consideration by enthusiasts searching for the attributes of a European sport sedan without a European price.
Old 02-14-11, 12:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Suzuki needs more engines for this car.
Old 02-14-11, 12:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

I really like this Suzuki... decent price in my country, not awesome but i am thinking they will start discounting it soon (as every other car is here)
Old 02-14-11, 12:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

what a nice car!
Old 02-14-11, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Suzuki didn't bother to display this car (or even to have a display at all) at the D.C. Auto Show. I'm afraid that both Suzuki's and Mitsubishi's future in the American market, right now, is on somewhat shaky ground.
Old 02-14-11, 07:32 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Suzuki didn't bother to display this car (or even to have a display at all) at the D.C. Auto Show. I'm afraid that both Suzuki's and Mitsubishi's future in the American market, right now, is on somewhat shaky ground.
I saw a map of the Chicago Auto Show and both Suzuki and Mitsubishi have displays next to each other. I don't know how big of an area they each have. I plan on going to the show on Wednesday and am going to try to remember to take a closer look at the Kizashi.
Old 02-15-11, 06:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I saw a map of the Chicago Auto Show and both Suzuki and Mitsubishi have displays next to each other. I don't know how big of an area they each have. I plan on going to the show on Wednesday and am going to try to remember to take a closer look at the Kizashi.
It's a nice car....arguably the best product Suzuki offers in the American maket, although the smaller AWD SX-4 is a terrific dollar-for-dollar value. I reviewed a Kizashi some time ago....but not with the latest (thread-topic) Sport package.