Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you guys think of the 2009 (old body style) Mercedes E class?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-09, 12:28 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently drive a European Mercedes E230 (yep, E230) and I love it. It's a company lease vehicle but it is fairly well-equipped, so there are a lot of things that could go wrong from a reliability standpoint.

In terms of reliability, however, I've had zero problems with this vehicle. The previous Mercedes product I owned, a C200 CDI, was also top notch in that regard. In that sense I can only say that I've had great experiences with my two Mercedes' vehicles and would recommend them without hesitation. Having a thing or two go wrong isn't an indication of "poor reliability" in my book.

The greatest strength of the E class are its comfort and interior space qualities. The cabin feels roomy, very roomy in fact. I've found the seats to be the perfect mixture of softness and sturdiness which hand-in-hand work well together to provide the driver with a very high level of comfort, especially for long journeys. I like the Xenon headlights as well since they literally light-up the road ahead in the darkest of nights.

I also enjoy the solidity of this vehicle. It feels well-built and solid and it is fun to drive on the autobahns as it always feels well-placed and stable. The gasoline V6 engine under the bonnet is also agile and spirited and returns good fuel economy. I'm happy with my car.

I don't have many negative things to say about this car, which is funny because I try to find something negative about it - but I just can't. My biggest criticism I suppose is that the interior roof handle bars look and feel kind of cheap, but I guess that's a trivial matter since the rest of the car is quite impressive.
Old 10-04-09, 03:42 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I love this body style more so than the new. It is more of a looker once in AMG trim
Old 10-04-09, 03:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
IS-SV are you impressed with your C300?? if you like your C, I dont understand why you are down playing the New E??? They have so many similar style elements IMO. Currently the New E crushes anything in it's League PERIOD (style, tech, performance, and price)!
That is your opinion as he is entitled to his. I much prefer the 09 model to the 10 model.....

Old 10-04-09, 09:17 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
And the large price difference between the C & E comparibly equipped is not justified IMO. The sales stats are already tending to prove this out I think, probably more due to price resistance.
Isn't this true with most luxury brands, IS out sales GS, 3-series out sales 5-series etc, etc (comparably equipped)??? I don't understand your reasoning for bringing this up... You do pay a huge premium for size/ extra room when it comes to Luxury cars.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good questions. The styling of the C is cleaner (mainly roofline and doesn't have those goofy squarish styling elements front and back).
I dont understand what squarish styling elements you are referring to, they look so similar in my eyes... one style doesnt look any cleaner than the other...
Attached Thumbnails What do you guys think of the 2009 (old body style) Mercedes E class?-2009_mercedes_benz_c35021878808277713162.jpg   What do you guys think of the 2009 (old body style) Mercedes E class?-wddhf5gb9aa036485-1.jpg  

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 10-04-09 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-04-09, 09:39 PM
LexFather

Pics don't do the two justice. The C-class with the sport package looks much more cohesive and less busy than the E-class. I am just shocked at how they might/should be similar but the E-class looks bland and busy outside of the direct head on view.

I could not believe how utterly disappointed I was seeing the 2010 E63 in person.

The last E-class looked great STOCK, great proportions, no "need" for a kit or huge wheels. Even in this odd color, it looks great.

The quad fogs are quite silly.

The rear is just blah

I can't believe how out of love I am from one model to the next....below is beautiful

Last edited by LexFather; 10-04-09 at 09:44 PM.

Old 10-04-09, 09:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
Isn't this true with most luxury brands, IS out sales GS, 3-series out sales 5-series etc, etc (comparably equipped)??? I don't understand your reasoning for bringing this up... You do pay a huge premium for size/ extra room when it comes to Luxury cars.

I dont understand what squarish styling elements you are referring to, they look so similar in my eyes... one style doesnt look any cleaner than the other...
Yes, and you just proved my point with the 3 series, A4, ISx50's significantly outselling the mid-sized versions, as I mentioned "price resistance" earlier when comparing cars with similar equipment. I brought it up because it's a fact of doing business in premium cars and in 2009 the premium car makers know they have to pay closer attention to the size category with the highest growth.

Square styling elements are apparent with the inboard vertical headlights and the rectangular taillights of the E-class, not obvious in straight side view. The roofline is slightly notched in rear section, could flow a bit smoother too. I still think the car is reasonably good looking, the coupe very nice IMO.

Last edited by IS-SV; 10-04-09 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-04-09, 10:18 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

pictures are worth more than a thousand words... they look pretty much the same yo! Only other car that looks more same is the A4 and A6, other than that, it doesn't get any closer..

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 10-04-09 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-04-09, 10:50 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new E is a gorgeous car in real life.

With the exterior styling aside, the interior is a clear step up in quality and materials. The old E-Class had a little too many hard plastics for my tastes.
Old 10-04-09, 11:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I still lie the old E class. I heard you can get a great deal on them now