Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Launches Zero-Emissions LEAF: Will go on sale in U.S. next year

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 09:08 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha it does look like a catfish.
Old 10-06-09, 10:16 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

good luck re-charging a car with solar at night.
I've read and heard things that suggest solar is not all that cost efficient nor that great so large scale use which is why it seems our next feasible option would be nuclear...

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
That being said, we buy are eletricity from a green energy company. The more people that do that, the more resources they have to expand.
The more they expend, the more it costs them and those costs get flowed down to the consumers last I checked, another reason why I wonder about the real NET benefit (environmental safety, costs, etc.).

On a small scale I'm sure this is not a huge deal, but as we potentially shift into a society of mostly plug-in cars that's what I have questions about. We are already likely going to pay a premium for the car itself, then I would foresee eventually having to pay more for electricity as well.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this all plays out.
Old 10-06-09, 10:53 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Thank You Nissan for always approaching new cars with a "straight up" approach. Nissan is always no BS. Present the cars, give the facts, give an eta, and not too much time to wait for said product. I may not buy this "leaf" when it comes out but I respect them so much more.
Old 10-07-09, 12:24 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I'd be willing to give up a few miles in range to have it look like a regular toaster (xB).
Old 10-07-09, 09:37 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job on this Nissan.
Old 04-11-11, 07:55 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

TOKYO (Reuters) -- Nissan Motor Co. has received complaints from owners that its Leaf electric car on occasion fails to start, posing a potential setback for the automaker's goal of promoting 0-emission vehicles.

Nissan said today it was looking into the exact cause, which it traced back to the Leaf's air-conditioning unit. Nissan is investigating whether the glitch was in a certain component or the programming, spokesman To****ake Ino****a said.

Nissan plans no recall for now since the issue does not affect safety, but will decide how to proceed after identifying the source of the problem, he said.

"When we know the exact cause, we will decide whether to issue a service bulletin, or take other steps," Ino****a said.

He added that the phenomenon was reported in both the United States and Japan, although he did not have an exact figure for the number of complaints.

Nissan and its French partner Renault SA are aiming to become leaders in the nascent field of electric vehicles, which plug into an electric outlet to power the car's batteries and have no tailpipe emissions.

Nissan launched the 5-seated Leaf in Japan and the United States in December, as well as in Portugal, the UK, Ireland and the Netherlands earlier this year.

It sold more than 3,300 units in Japan as of February and delivered another 452 in the United States through March.

Production at Nissan's Oppama plant south of Tokyo, where the Leaf is made, resumed today on a normal basis -- from supplier-delivered parts -- for the 1st time in a month, after it was halted by a devastating earthquake that rocked northeast Japan on March 11.

Last edited by GS69; 04-11-11 at 07:59 AM.