Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW: 2009 rx 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 06:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by videcormeum
I can be objective. This fuel economy comports with Consumer Reports' results (25mpg).

As does the 30mpg I see in my TSX when driving the same hwy/city split - which also comports w/ CR's tests.

BUT I seem to remember you calling BS on those figures.

As for the RX - yawn. The 2010 exterior design is even worse.

M.
A TSX owner can't yawn at a RX as they are already asleep driving their own car.

Can u show my post where I called B.S?

Old 08-03-09, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
doug999 is back with us, and he is seriously considering one for his grandmother.
Sorry, guys, I slightly misunderstood him...he clarified it was his mother-in-law, not grandmother. I deleted the former post, to avoid confusion.

BTW, they DID decide on, and buy a new Soul.
Old 08-03-09, 08:05 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
A TSX owner can't yawn at a RX as they are already asleep driving their own car.

Can u show my post where I called B.S?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...cussion-4.html

I guess it was more of a general comment on Acura owners And you did qualify your statement with 'actual mileage varies' - forgot about that.

Anyway, I stand by my comments on the TSX; my car still has a moderate dash rattle - which I discovered to be the latch on the glovebox (it's not a firm-enough fit) (... that's [not] what she s....) - and the engine vibration in cold weather is a little excessive (common w/ transverse inline 4) ... so given how much the auto press raves about that engine, they must only be driving it in 75 degree weather.

But the fuel economy is still good and beating the 5 speed auto box to death in "manual" (or should I say 'directed-shift') mode is enough to keep me awake most of the time.

I can't wait to get the 2011 Saab 9-5 so I can really become a pariah on these boards.

M.
Old 08-03-09, 08:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by videcormeum
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...cussion-4.html

I guess it was more of a general comment on Acura owners And you did qualify your statement with 'actual mileage varies' - forgot about that.

Anyway, I stand by my comments on the TSX; my car still has a moderate dash rattle - which I discovered to be the latch on the glovebox (it's not a firm-enough fit) (... that's [not] what she s....) - and the engine vibration in cold weather is a little excessive (common w/ transverse inline 4) ... so given how much the auto press raves about that engine, they must only be driving it in 75 degree weather.

But the fuel economy is still good and beating the 5 speed auto box to death in "manual" (or should I say 'directed-shift') mode is enough to keep me awake most of the time.

I can't wait to get the 2011 Saab 9-5 so I can really become a pariah on these boards.

M.
I know the TSX gets good MPG and most here like the first gen. ,my only comment might have been the IS 250 gets just as good with 2 more cylinders.
The new Saab seems nice but I hope they stick around.

Old 08-04-09, 01:04 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

1SICKLEX, thats about the best review I have read on the RX so far, every point you made was right on the money. The nice entry level Lexus interior, good straight away power, poor steering feel, the body lean and isolation from noise and rough road. looks like Lexus will have another winner in their hands.
Old 08-27-09, 07:07 PM
LexFather

Well I now have a 2010 350 loaner for a few days, only 650 miles....review coming probably Sunday or Monday. Feel free to ask questions in advance.

Old 08-27-09, 10:44 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I now have a 2010 350 loaner for a few days, only 650 miles....review coming probably Sunday or Monday. Feel free to ask questions in advance.
yeah, i like to hear your opinion about the new mouse controller and the gen 6 navi.
Old 08-28-09, 05:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Why a loaner? Is the GS in the shop for a problem?
Old 08-28-09, 06:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The RX may have a 60/40 woman/man owner ratio, but many of the RX registered under a men’s name are actually driven by their wife and GF. Here in the Northeast, almost 90% of the RX is driven by woman. The 10% of men who is driving it does not look happy
We have a good relationship with our local Lexus dealer, they let us test drive the new RX350 for about 45 mins last week. One thing we notice right away was the seats. The new seats have improved quite a bit, but still not as comfortable as its German counter parts. The engine have gain a few horse, but it is also louder when open wide. The wood is cheap looking, but that seems to be a trend with Lexus these days, even my 08 GS350 had cheap looking wood. Lexus need some of their old trees back
Driving wise, like I said, acceleration is pretty good, suspension is stiffen up a bit. The ride is not as smooth as the last gen due to the stiffer suspension. I don’t want to get into the sporty aspect of the RX since there is no point. Overall, the RX is a very nice SUV, one can see why it is the top seller among woman. In the end, it was my wife’s decision to make and she choose something that has a better combination of sportiness and luxury.
Old 08-28-09, 06:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
The RX may have a 60/40 woman/man owner ratio, but many of the RX registered under a men’s name are actually driven by their wife and GF. Here in the Northeast, almost 90% of the RX is driven by woman. The 10% of men who is driving it does not look happy
I think it is a nice vehicle to drive. Maybe, then, I need to put on a wig and falsies?

Driving wise, like I said, acceleration is pretty good, suspension is stiffen up a bit. The ride is not as smooth as the last gen due to the stiffer suspension. I don’t want to get into the sporty aspect of the RX since there is no point.

In my review last February, I noticed a slightly stiffer ride, too, despite the taller 60-series tires (the last version had shorter 55's). The suspension is definitely stiffer, which, IMO, was unneeded. But the incredible refinement, butter-smooth drivetrain, and tomb-quiet sound insulation make up for it.
Old 08-28-09, 06:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In my review last February, I noticed a slightly stiffer ride, too, despite the taller 60-series tires (the last version had shorter 55's). The suspension is definitely stiffer, which, IMO, was unneeded. But the incredible refinement, butter-smooth drivetrain, and tomb-quiet sound insulation make up for it.
Maybe Lexus is actually watching these forums or maybe they are just getting sick of magazines complaining about the RX’s handling, but the suspension is a bit stiffer than our old RX. The steering a bit more precise as well, overall, a nice cruising machine. A cruising machine, that’s the best way to describe the new RX. Smooth, quiet and comfortable, a bit boring, but some people like it that way. The RX is design to please all the passengers and the driver, while the more sporty counterparts are designed to please mostly the driver.