Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW: 2009 rx 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-09, 10:02 PM
LexFather

Smile 1SICKREVIEW: 2009 rx 350

As many know I am pretty much disgusted with domestic car magazines. Outside of the fact the reviews are all the same and predictable you NEVER get a TRUE FEELING of the car!! I think MMarshall does a really good job of this and giving you a "fair shake" to see if you really want to check out the vehicle.

My "h" is in for some service at (shameless plug) Henessey Lexus of Gwinnett, who I regard as family at this point. I've always told members "a relationship is where its at" and that is what we have. They tried to get me a new 2010 RX (even VVTi joked about doing a "1SICKREVIEW") but I was lucky to get an 09.

I say lucky b/c I am ALWAYS appreciative of the loaners and I treat them like my own car. Lexus doesn't have to give me squat, nor does the Service Department. They helped me unload a couple things out my car and I was off.

Funny but as soon as I got in it was like being with an old friend. As you know the 2RX has been around since 03 and its the most successful luxury SUV ever created. I knew that she was replaced with the 3RX so I wanted to do a review on her for maybe the last time. Also I've never had a 350 RX only 330s before so I was curious about the power difference.

As you know the car has the old Lexus keyfob which is well, older . Its not a problem but I did notice when I had both hands full of Curry Goat, Chicken, Jerk Chicken, Oxtails, Plantains, Cabbage (I'm getting hungry again) that it was indeed a hassle to reach in my pocket and pop the lock whereas the new model you just walk up and open the door. You can say I am now a convert to true keyless entry!!

The RX has aged well inside and out. I can't believe how good the exterior looked in silver. It could still be sold as a current model. I won't go in detail as its old but it really blends a luxury/sport look without over doing either. The only problem you may have is there are over 400,000 around and amazingly a 45k average truck is "common". We also know the image issue but I won't beat the dead horse the magazines do. Yes, it has a 60/40 woman/man ratio. Amazingly the 1RX was 55/45 in favor of women and the 2RX was to be more "masculine". It is, clearly superior to the 1RX and women recognized it. I have no problem with the image as I feel its one of the best vehicles around.

The seats are like the ES. Entry level luxury seats. The usual 8 way power with lumbar support. Its okay at best I really am not a huge fan. They are only slightly/barely better than the 1RX. The 3RX seat feels for the first time its not a seat based on the Camry. It is a substantially comfier and better seat. It has the usual movable armrest but it is in the right spot, very comfy.

Car starts up and sounds like a RX, quiet and unstrained (at full throttle, it sounds not so sexy), you notice the gauges which Lexus started and now everyone emulates. Its cozy to the eye yet bright. This vehicle didn't have NAV which I did miss. Not really for directions but it's nice to see how far/close I am to something. The controls are easy and the dash was black with the interior in a light gray. The lighted controls are not green or blue but were clear. Oddly I wish they were a color even though the clear matched the interior. Which was fine. However the wood is maybe the worst I've seen in a Lexus. Even my G/F commented "doesn't look so good". I don't want to say cheap but for real wood, it looks pretty blah with the black/grey combo. The switches and console is done in a metallic silver which goes good with the exterior silver. The stock sound system is also pretty horrid to me, no matter if you switch to Driver, Front, Rear whaever. It all sounds like Beyonce eating onions while singing. ML is a must.

After 5 minutes in the car, you realize why its so popular. I mean is smooth as butter. Everything opens/closes finely (This RX has only 7500 miles), the car is quiet, nothing rattled and the Michelin tires soak up the pavement. After 30 minutes you realize you need one of these. It truly is a new age luxury car.

I took a trip to lunch with 4 adults, two 6 footers in the back and we all had ample room. Not one complaint. Someone in the rear commented how cold the A/C was in the rear vent. Very useful (why a mag won't tell us useful info I won't know). I am 6"5 and there is plenty of room up front. To me the seats don't go far enough back but I noticed this in the ES as well. The RWD IS which is much smaller has more front legroom. It has to be the FWD packaging.

The 350 is clearly as quiet as the 330 but much quicker. This is a car that is around 2200 RPM at 80 MPH. Its the usual Lexus quiet and you have to watch b/c you will be speeding. Its SO QUIET I accidentally put the gated shifter in 3 and drove for maybe 15 minutes on the highway before I realized the RX was at 4400 RPM and I was in the wrong gear. I passed a few people with absolutely no problem. Whooping the guy in the A4 at the light was a treat as well. I believe this is a mid 6 second car and it feels it. I completely recommend the 350 over the 330. Whereas the 330 is slower and IMO the computer is asking which gear to downshift too, the 350 does it much much quicker. I never felt the tranny not know where it wanted to go, an issue I felt the 330 had. This RX is FWD and I did encounter torque steer a few times. It did rain as well. The car drove fine in the rain, no torque steer. I encountered it in the dry with the wheel turned. VSC did NOT kick in, a HORRIBLE habit of the 1RX.

Now for the magazine part. The SPORT. So I took the RX to my favorite backroads to wing it. Well I'm going to tell you don't do it. The thing is, YOU WON'T. The RX is not designed for it and who the hell would be doing 75 in a 55 around corners. Its not fun in the RX. The car is compliant but its clear the steering is vague, the wood wheel does not help and the car seems to follow your inputs a second after you tell it where to go. The Michelins never squeeled though. To jab back at the magazines, you have to be some sort of idiot to want to drive any SUV like I did on the roads I am on. I literally took part of my day out to drive it hard. During regular driving, YOU DO NOT DRIVE LIKE THAT. I never once drove like an nut in it, part of the RX "calming" appeal.

MPG is utterly amazing. 80/20 Highway/City I'm doing near 26 MPG. Did I mention this is WITH A FULL LOAD (helping move). Yes, I put premium gas in the loaner and the MPG is sensational.

Which brings me to utility. Lexus got this part right. I fit a 37x60 dresser with no issues. I then packed A TON of stuff in every nook and cranny where it was filled. We were amazed at how much stuff we could fit inside. I think I again sold future RXs to people . With a full load the engine and tranny acted like it was just me in the car. No strain at all.

Not much of a summary here b/c I think that hits most of the points. The RX is maybe one of the most hated vehicles on the internet and yet this model is pretty much a homerun in all areas in the outgoing 350 model. This is a GREAT SUV for someone with a family as prices are in the 20-30k range now. There are many color combos as well so you don't have to puke like I did.

2RX, its been a great ride! This is one well recommended Lexus!

Mag point
There is no mag point. I would have been a complete idiot doing a review focusing on sport when you are not going to drive a RX like that. If making my life easier as the RX does is "boring" well they can go to N. Korea with "I love Obama and Bush" shirts on.

Old 08-01-09, 10:12 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

good review! now you need to do a 3rd gen 2010 RX350 review.
Old 08-01-09, 11:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the review 1SICKLEX! A nice read, although a lot of us are very familiar with the 2RX by now. It is a well-regarded vehicle that has aged quite well. The best part of the RX is its blend of luxury, utility, and features. It really does a great job of representing the brand by being well-built and luxurious, and with its practical design, a smart choice. With that being said, it is more entry-level than other Lexus models, and some parts are a bit more generic than Lexus-signature (I chalk it up to being also sold as the Harrier). In contrast, the 3RX, designed as a Lexus only, has more comfortable seats, tech galore, etc. But the 2RX remains built to a high standard, and a capable vehicle, so I'd recommend it to anyone.
Old 08-02-09, 12:20 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a 2010 RX350 and I am feeling it big time. I hated the old RX because they seemed weak and very feminine. This new one is much wider and handles much better. I love the interior, ergonomics, the insane quality of the materials used, and the way it drives. They did a great job on the redesign. I have to say I am also very happy that Lexus is allowing us to drive around in 40K loaner cars while getting a glimpse of the newest latest from Lexus. I am so loving Lexus.
Old 08-02-09, 06:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

great review. i've said before, i think the rx is the best overall vehicle toyota/lexus makes.
Old 08-02-09, 08:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I personally cant stand the RX. The interior with the silly dash mounted shifter and seat mounted handrests screams minivan to me. I like proper center console, proper shifter and proper armrest.
Old 08-02-09, 10:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
I personally cant stand the RX. The interior with the silly dash mounted shifter and seat mounted handrests screams minivan to me. I like proper center console, proper shifter and proper armrest.
I'm not sure I'd go that far, but after thoroughly test-driving the 2010 RX, I walked away a bit bored after a glorified luxury minivan experience.

I'm not knocking Lexus on its good business sense, they hit the mark on the intended audience/buyer and they have the sales stats to prove it. Certainly a viable/profitable/lucrative model in the product line.
Old 08-02-09, 11:56 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Having owned a 1RX and now a 2RX, and hopefully going for the 3RXh in December, I have to say, they are one of the best vehicles that my family has owned. Of course, the wife probably likes it better than I do, but you cant argue with what it can do and how it does it. As a family hauler to the grocery store, it cant be beat, from the serene ride, to the amenities that lexus thought of putting into the car.

Seats 5 perfectly comfy, has just enough power to move, and a cargo area that bests most SUVs in this class. And i hate to say this, but the base RX is just plain cheap for a luxury SUV with the lexus nameplate, which helps it sell so much. a 36K asking price is relatively low if you ask me.

great review.
Old 08-02-09, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice review, Mike.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
As many know I am pretty much disgusted with domestic car magazines. Outside of the fact the reviews are all the same and predictable you NEVER get a TRUE FEELING of the car!! I think MMarshall does a really good job of this and giving you a "fair shake" to see if you really want to check out the vehicle.
Thanks. Yes, I feel that a detailed, stem-to-stern review is far more important than just a brief description, 0-60 times and slalom figures.

They tried to get me a new 2010 RX (even VVTi joked about doing a "1SICKREVIEW") but I was lucky to get an 09.
Next time, if you want to try out a 2010, just ask for a formal test-drive on a 2010 before you take home your 2009 loaner. They will probably be more than happy to oblidge, especially if you bought your GS there and already are one of their regular customers. I've already reviewed the new 2010 RX350 and 450H, but, of course there's still nothing like hands-on feel of the car yourself. 2010 RX availability should be no problem...it is one of Lexus' bigest sellers, and there should be plenty of 2010 RX 350's on the lot (RX hybrids, though, could be another story....supply of them is tight).

I say lucky b/c I am ALWAYS appreciative of the loaners and I treat them like my own car. Lexus doesn't have to give me squat, nor does the Service Department.
Agreed. Not only that, but, of course, it is embarassing to have to call the dealership and tell them you wrecked one of their loaners, or that it was towed away because you left it in a no-parking zone.

As you know the car has the old Lexus keyfob which is well, older . Its not a problem but I did notice when I had both hands full of Curry Goat, Chicken, Jerk Chicken, Oxtails, Plantains, Cabbage (I'm getting hungry again) that it was indeed a hassle to reach in my pocket and pop the lock whereas the new model you just walk up and open the door. You can say I am now a convert to true keyless entry!!
That's fine for convenience, like when you have your hands full, but I don't like the idea of the key fob itself, in the vicinity, deciding when to unlock the door instead of you. That could be a problem from a security point of view.

Now for the magazine part. The SPORT. So I took the RX to my favorite backroads to wing it. Well I'm going to tell you don't do it. The thing is, YOU WON'T. The RX is not designed for it and who the hell would be doing 75 in a 55 around corners. Its not fun in the RX. The car is compliant but its clear the steering is vague, the wood wheel does not help and the car seems to follow your inputs a second after you tell it where to go. The Michelins never squeeled though. To jab back at the magazines, you have to be some sort of idiot to want to drive any SUV like I did on the roads I am on. I literally took part of my day out to drive it hard. During regular driving, YOU DO NOT DRIVE LIKE THAT. I never once drove like an nut in it, part of the RX "calming" appeal.

Too many people, especially inexperienced you kids, DO try and drive like that with SUV's, one of the main reasons for their high rollover rate. The Lexus GX, if you noticed it, is even more at risk.......it is narrower for its height than the RX is.

The car drove fine in the rain, no torque steer. I encountered it in the dry with the wheel turned. VSC did NOT kick in, a HORRIBLE habit of the 1RX.
VSC sensors compare the rate of steering input with the yaw response of both the front and rear ends, and brake one or more individual wheels to properly co-ordinate the turn radius....but often, that doesn't apply with simple torque steer. The reason it doesn't (or may not) is because the car is already pulling sideways (as it would in a turn), but just doing it with the front wheels still pointing relatively straight (somewhat like an airplane in a crosswind and not correcting for it)....the torque actually does more of the steering then the wheels. The sensors don't distinguish between the vehicle pulling left or right with the wheels turned normally or straight ahead. If they DID, one of two things could happen. Either the yawing/torque steer could (?) get worse, because, with the steering wheel bent and front end still pointed straight, the traction control and VDC sensors might get confused and brake the wrong wheel (s), or you could lose a lot of acceleration because the braking action involved.

That's why auto mags don't like VSC in all but the most extreme conditions.....it cuts into their track times (something they are often obsessed with) because it applies brakes or cuts engine power back and doesn't let them drift/ powerslide much through sharp turns. Some sportier vehicles have adjustable VSC that tailors the response to driving conditions.

Among other reasons, Acura, BTW, developed its special SH-AWD in conjunction with its VSC system, with the side-to-side torque-adjustable differentials, in response to some of the problems I just described.

We also know the image issue but I won't beat the dead horse the magazines do. Yes, it has a 60/40 woman/man ratio. Amazingly the 1RX was 55/45 in favor of women and the 2RX was to be more "masculine".
One of the reasons women like the RX is that it is easier to get in and out of than big-brother GX and LX. It also has a simpler, automatic AWD system that doesn't need fiddling around with a dash-mounted switch (although, of course, the dash-mounted switches can be left on "Auto" mode.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-09 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-03-09, 08:00 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mike, do you still plan to write up the Kia Soul?

doug999 is back with us, and he is seriously considering one for his grandmother.
LOL.. Is Doug back with jokes?
Old 08-03-09, 09:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, Go Granny, Go.
Old 08-03-09, 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No. Doug is serious. I've known him, here, on CAR CHAT, for years.....he is generally not one to joke, and is a well-respected poster. His grandma is ready for a new car....and she likes the Soul. I reviewed a Soul just a few days ago, and Mike said he might (?) be writing one up, too.
Old 08-03-09, 01:51 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife owns an 07 Rx350; beautiful car inside and out. But as 1SickLex said, it does not have a single Sport DNA in it, but it excels at cruising and running short errands in the city.

I'm a bit embarrassed of driving the RX by myself because for some reason it screams "Chick" ride

Last edited by madmax2k1; 08-03-09 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-03-09, 02:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
My wife owns an 07 Rx350; beautiful car inside and out. But as 1SickLex said, it does not has single Sport DNA in it, but it excels at cruising and running short errands in the city.

I'm a bit embarrassed of driving the RX by myself because for some reason it screams "Chick" ride
So, you're going to let "Image" dictate how you spend your automotive money, just like so many other people do?

I'm sure you work hard for your money (or did work for it, if you're retired). Of course, it's ultimately up to you, but my strong advice is never mind what the Jones' down the street will think. Buy and drive the vehicle that is best for you....and, of course, what you can afford.
Old 08-03-09, 05:59 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MPG is utterly amazing. 80/20 Highway/City I'm doing near 26 MPG. Did I mention this is WITH A FULL LOAD (helping move). Yes, I put premium gas in the loaner and the MPG is sensational.
I can be objective. This fuel economy comports with Consumer Reports' results (25mpg).

As does the 30mpg I see in my TSX when driving the same hwy/city split - which also comports w/ CR's tests.

BUT I seem to remember you calling BS on those figures.

As for the RX - yawn. The 2010 exterior design is even worse.

M.

Last edited by videcormeum; 08-03-09 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW: 2009 rx 350