Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi S5 Issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 08:32 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What I posted about tire/shimmy and oil-use problems can apply to almost ANY car, FKL, not just Audis. It was in direct response to the fact that the original poster was not convinced he had a tire problem.

In rare cases, poor driveline engineering or unbalanced parts in it can cause shimmy/vibration, but, most of the time, it is wheel or tire-related.
I still do not believe it's a wheel/tire issue.
If you read the thread, some have stock wheels, some have changed wheels, some have kept stock wheels but changed tires...and so forth.

I had a Camaro with vibration. They blamed my aftermarket wheels. I insisted it was something else. Eventullay the drive shaft was replaced and problem solved.
The 95 SC300 I had developed vibration. It was eventually discoved tranny bushings needed to be changed.
Audi has a problem and they seem reluctant to pay the cost to repair.
Old 08-03-09, 09:43 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I still do not believe it's a wheel/tire issue.
If you read the thread, some have stock wheels, some have changed wheels, some have kept stock wheels but changed tires...and so forth.

I had a Camaro with vibration. They blamed my aftermarket wheels. I insisted it was something else. Eventullay the drive shaft was replaced and problem solved.
The 95 SC300 I had developed vibration. It was eventually discoved tranny bushings needed to be changed.
Audi has a problem and they seem reluctant to pay the cost to repair.
um well there actually is a tsb on this issue i'm looking at it right now... it basically starts with you roadtesting this vehicle and to verify the issue then to do a wheel balance with their special wheel balancing machine then if that does not resolve the issue they are instructed contact their technical assistance help line.
Old 08-03-09, 02:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mmmmm, are they specing only 1 specific OEM tire? Usually not, but I'm guessing this is not a tire problem.
Old 08-03-09, 05:42 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 98 GS400 had a vibration problem since the day I bought it until I sold it last year. Gave up taking it to the dealer and just dealt with it. Some tires were better than others, but it was always there. I almost forgot what it was like to drive a car that doesn't vibrate all the time. Does that mean all GS400's vibrate and all Lexus' suck? Not at all, so I don't understand how you can say Audi still has lots of issues. My A8 is as smooth as butter, no vibrations at all.