Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi S5 Issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 04:37 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Audi S5 Issue!!!

I believe I heard cross linking threads was against the rules but I thought it was interesting that one of my favorite cars seems to be having an on-going issue.
It seems the S5 has vibration from 60-80mph and the corporation is unwilling to recall the cars.
We've had more Lexus issues than years past but at least Lexus Corp puts out TSB's to resolve the problems.
I feel sorry for those guys. You pay your money for a higher end car and it performs like a cheapmobile.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...on-issues.html
Old 08-02-09, 05:15 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

everything about that just screams it's a tire problem.

either unbalanced or misaligned, or some other tire defect.

and i don't think most of the people here care about audi anyway...
Old 08-02-09, 05:21 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides them trying to back-fill my S5 order in February, this is an ongoing S5 issue I've gotten many emails from owners on and another reason why I cancelled my order...
Old 08-02-09, 05:45 PM
LexFather

Thread started April 08 so its not a new issue. Amazingly there is a TL dashboard crack page on facebook and its a problem for them. Infiniti FX's are also suffering from dash cracks and it seems to be either a hit or miss response from dealerships/Infiniti.

Vibrations are tough, with cars getting firmer and with lower sidewall tires, well, its a problem. Dashboard cracks though should be pretty unacceptable.

Old 08-02-09, 06:11 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

I absolutely do not believe it's a tire problem.
Probably something wrong with the AWD system.
Probably something really expensive to fix.
WHatever it is, having it continue over 2 model years is not acceptible.
I was considering getting this car. Not now. No German cars at all for me.
I was talking to a guy yesterday with an M3. He was telling me he has to have oil added every month or so. A car should never need the oil topped off. That means it's burning the oil. Early G35's had that problem but Infiniti fixed it.
Lexus has had some issues too but still looks like the mightly L remains KING.
Old 08-02-09, 08:02 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ice350
I was talking to a guy yesterday with an M3. He was telling me he has to have oil added every month or so. A car should never need the oil topped off. That means it's burning the oil. Early G35's had that problem but Infiniti fixed it.
Stick to kitchen appliances they are usualy reliable it sounds like cars arent for you, all I hear are bad luck stories on your side and how everything goes wrong.
Old 08-02-09, 08:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

In most cases (granted, not all), shimmy/vibration problems at higher speeds ARE tire or wheel problems. It can be from a number of sources, including out-of-round tire/tire mount, bent or out-of-round wheels (rare with alloy wheels, which usually crack before they bend), a uncalibrated wheel-balance machine or an unskilled technician who doesn't know how to use it (common at lower-priced tire shops), or other defect in the tire (sometimes Fix-a-Flat bottles will cause this by spraying sealant inside the tire and the sealant piling up unevenly throwing the tire out of balance.

Sometimes just removing the tire from the rim and re-mounting it at a 90 or 180-degree angle from where it was before helps solve the problem by putting the high spot on the tire oposite the low spot on the wneel, which balances things out.

There's a tip: whenever the tires are off the car and on the balance machine, look at them yourself as they spin, both from the sides and ahead. If you see any signifcant up-and-down hopping or side-to-side wobble, then there may be your vibration. If the shop won't allow you to be there at the machine and look at them spinning, then find another shop that will.

I was talking to a guy yesterday with an M3. He was telling me he has to have oil added every month or so. A car should never need the oil topped off. That means it's burning the oil.
Not necessarily.

Oil can be used three main ways. It can be burned inside the engine, usually from worn piston rings or valve guides. It can leak, from worn or poor-quality seals (that was rampant with old British cars). Or, it can mix with coolant from bad head-gaskets, a problem a number of engines have.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-09 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-03-09, 12:10 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

audi needs to get their reliability in line with its japanese competitors. They were dodgy cars back in the day as well
Old 08-03-09, 12:18 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

what a joke of a thread. no facts, just an anti-audi circle jerk. Whatever blows you off in the end I guess. In the real world, Audi sells 2x lexus. Laughable.
Old 08-03-09, 04:32 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FKL
what a joke of a thread. no facts, just an anti-audi circle jerk. Whatever blows you off in the end I guess. In the real world, Audi sells 2x lexus. Laughable.
You're right... ELEVEN current or former S5 OWNERS emailing me their cars' issues during my research on the car wouldn't be a fact....
Old 08-03-09, 05:45 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad co
Stick to kitchen appliances they are usualy reliable it sounds like cars arent for you, all I hear are bad luck stories on your side and how everything goes wrong.
I don't understand, clarify.
Old 08-03-09, 05:49 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
You're calling me a jerk for passing on information?
I happen to love the look and feel of the A5/S5. I wanted to get one. I'm very disappointed Audi is still having reliability issues. The old Audi 5000 had vibration problems too....and numerous other problems. I thought they had cleaned up their act. I'm just disappointed that it's off my list. But I will still look at them.
Old 08-03-09, 06:21 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You are missing out Reg.. Don't fall for the doom & gloom internet mumbo jumbo.
Old 08-03-09, 07:08 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Guys keep this post focused on your opinons and facts about the vehicles being discussed and not on the people posting in the thread.
Old 08-03-09, 07:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
what a joke of a thread. no facts, just an anti-audi circle jerk.

What I posted about tire/shimmy and oil-use problems can apply to almost ANY car, FKL, not just Audis. It was in direct response to the fact that the original poster was not convinced he had a tire problem.

In rare cases, poor driveline engineering or unbalanced parts in it can cause shimmy/vibration, but, most of the time, it is wheel or tire-related.

Quick Reply: Audi S5 Issue!!!