Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is the future of front-wheel-drive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-09, 02:45 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last, the technology of yesteryear, IMO, was not all bad. While the handling of those cars, with slow recirculating-ball steering and the suspensions of the day, cannot compare to today (and is laughed at by today's car enthusiasts), ride quality, in general, was noticeably more comfortable, cars were not tossed around by bumps as much as they are today, road noise (except for some torsion-bar equipped Chrysler products), was not as pronounced, seats were soft and comfortable (though less supportive), and, in general, cars could seat and carry more. Engine and transmissions (except for the flimsy Chevy Vega) were also done with solid, cast-iron blocks and casings.

Still hanging on to those Lincoln Town Car memories?
Old 08-04-09, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster

Still hanging on to those Lincoln Town Car memories?
The Town Car didn't (yet) exist when I was growing up, in the late 60's-early 70's. Back then, you had even bigger, more massive, 5500-lb. Lincoln Continentals that rode with the stability of a freight locomotive....and, yes, with similiar handling.

(I did have, for a short time, a girl friend in high school that looked somewhat like that, but was slightly heavier).
Old 08-04-09, 02:51 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The answer is as long as people want both power and traction without the added weight/drag of AWD.
I feel like you have a somewhat antiquated view of RWD in bad weather conditions. Yes, twenty years ago it was commonplace for people with RWD cars to have to pack sandbags in the trunk or take their 4x4 to work, but this is a lot different now. Systems like VSC, TRAC, VDIM, ABS, transmission modes and others have all been developed to ensure stable and safe driving in a variety of climates. The disparity between FWD and RWD, in foul weather, has narrowed greatly and you mentioned previously that it also has a lot to do with tire choices as well.

I previously had two Camrys and now have a GS- my Lexus has never ever felt unstable or uneasy in ice, snow or rain, especially moreso than my Camrys. Yes, the TRAC or VSC lights have come on a few times, but the car never faltered. Also consider that my car is nothing compared to the VDIM and similar systems that are now available in many cars.

I am not disagreeing with you that FWD has a slight advantage in foul weather, but the disparity is a far cry from what it once was. I don't think people are walking into car dealerships saying, "Man, I really only want somthing with FWD or AWD because of the weather here." In fact, that seems to hardly be the case. It's nice that AWD is being offered more and more by most manufacturers, but RWD is not synomyous with "up the creek without a paddle" in bad weather.
Old 08-04-09, 03:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I feel like you have a somewhat antiquated view of RWD in bad weather conditions. Yes, twenty years ago it was commonplace for people with RWD cars to have to pack sandbags in the trunk or take their 4x4 to work, but this is a lot different now. Systems like VSC, TRAC, VDIM, ABS, transmission modes and others have all been developed to ensure stable and safe driving in a variety of climates. The disparity between FWD and RWD, in foul weather, has narrowed greatly and you mentioned previously that it also has a lot to do with tire choices as well.
It is true that I have not driven all of today's RWD cars in bad weather, but I did own a Lexus IS300 for almost 5 years, through 4 consecutive winters. That was a car that had much of today's RWD technology on it....ABS, traction control (the IS300 didn't have VSC), snow-mode for the transmission that cut back on torque......and, for traction, my IS even had (optional) 16" 55-series all-season tires that are no longer offered now ...today's IS250 and IS350 only come with high-performance, low-profile 45's that are meant for dry pavement.

Yet, even with all of this, and my careful driving (I am especially careful on snow and ice) winter traction on that car varied from barely acceptable to downright spooky. I once drove it home, on an icy road, from the subway station with the rear end mildly fishtailing and the yellow traction light on almost continuously, even with feather-foot pressure on the gas pedal.

After I got my AWD Subaru Outback, I noticed an ENORMOUS difference...the likes of which I can't describe in words. I had it, the first winter, in 9"+ of snow and never spun my tires once. On another occasion, I went through 5-6" of solid ice-pellets on the ground (sleet), and still got it to the subway station for the morning commute. It slid a very small amount under those terrible conditions, but was basically stable, and easily controllable. Under those conditions, my IS300 (and I'm not exaggerating) wouldn't have moved two feet.

From now on, it's AWD for me.
Old 08-04-09, 03:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

MP, the 2GS with its RWD and low profile tires, and absolutely horrible VSC system, and awful drive by wire is one of the worst cars in snow. I dont even dare taking it out in snow.
Old 08-04-09, 04:27 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Look for the new CAFE regs will throw a monkey wrench into the market. It's not going to be about getting what we want, but wanting what we can get. Achieving 35mpg is going to require downsizing powerplants, looking toward diesel and hybrid technologies, and if some degree of performance is to be preserved, MUCH lighter weight and higher efficiencies.

We do not even need to discuss 400 bhp and 12-second quarter miles, if the CAFE regs are enforced, the only commonly-available cars will be sedans and small SUV's that will carry a max of 4 passengers, be rather tall and upright for space efficiency and limited by aerodynamic requirements. To package 4 adults and a few bags of groceries in a vehicle that is economical, crashworthy, and affordable, we have to do some serious downsizing of our dream cars.

It comes down to this: with fuel economy and safety federally regulated, you get to choose between performance and size. Performance demands extremely light weight. Think Aerial Atom here. Size for ultimate family haulage demands a mini or a mini-minivan. Your choice.

It looks like most of us will be driving new pickups or "classic" cars.
Old 08-04-09, 04:36 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
MP, the 2GS with its RWD and low profile tires, and absolutely horrible VSC system, and awful drive by wire is one of the worst cars in snow. I dont even dare taking it out in snow.
When driving the IS300 in the snow I usually shut off the traction control because it doesn't allow me to get anywhere. However, the IS300 doesn't do well in wet conditions in general.
Old 08-04-09, 05:32 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Ten years ago when the Camry V6 had 190hp and the Avalon had 210hp, RWD was the furthest thing from anyone's mind because there simply was no reason and no need. The most recent generation of V6s are all somewhere around 270hp and will likely push beyond that in their next iterations. Into that "next generation" I wonder how automakers will overcome issues like torque steer which is inherently associated with high horsepower FWD cars.
MPLexus, normally you have well thought out posts but this is one of the worst ones i've read of yours.
esp. that line about cars having low HP so RWD was never needed.

when has RWD been about HP? that's like saying manual transmissions are no longer needed because automatics shift fast enough now and get equivalent gas mileage.

RWD gives the purest driving experience. that's why car makers use that layout.

and we all know FWD is never going away as long as cars with wheels will be around, simply because of packaging and manufacturing costs.

/thread
Old 08-04-09, 05:46 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shyguy16
MPLexus, normally you have well thought out posts but this is one of the worst ones i've read of yours.
esp. that line about cars having low HP so RWD was never needed.

when has RWD been about HP? that's like saying manual transmissions are no longer needed because automatics shift fast enough now and get equivalent gas mileage.

RWD gives the purest driving experience. that's why car makers use that layout.

and we all know FWD is never going away as long as cars with wheels will be around, simply because of packaging and manufacturing costs.

/thread
Glad to hear that you enjoy most of my posts

My original topic does not really look so much at the driving experience of FWD vs RWD (we probably all unanimously prefer RWD), but rather the inherent shortcomings and limitations when any more than ~270HP is put into a FWD car. Torque steer becomes a nightmare, the front end is twitchy and becomes unsettled easily, and spirited acceleration usually requires two hands with a firm grip on the steering wheel. As auto brands continue to pump more power into their midsize and larger sedans that are currently FWD, how will they deal with those shortcomings/characteristics?

This isn't a FWD vs RWD debate, but rather about how FWD platforms will handle increasing horsepower in the future.
Old 08-04-09, 05:50 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But comparing HP/torque levels to what was available is not necessarily the best way to measure technology. You mention the upcoming 365 HP Taurus SHO of today, and compare it to the last 30 years. Well, 40 years ago, in the late 60's, I grew up with 390 and 427 c.i. Ford "family" sedans, and comparable 396/409/427 Chevy and 383/440/426 Hemi MoPar sedans, that had HP/torque levels that easily surpassed today's new SHO. In fact, for sheer torque, they approached some of today's Mercedes AMG models. But, of course, that was done with sheer engine displacement and 100-octane leaded gas....and the cars were a lot heavier.
The cars were not a lot heavier. Cars are heavier now than they've ever been. The SHO Taurus weighs more than a 1968 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon with a 460, all iron V8. And what kind of fuel mileage did your 390's and 427's get? 12 mpg on the highway? Maybe? That's my point. Technology will get us to 400+ HP and 35+ mpg by 2040. Like you said, we don't know the future, but higher HP with ever increasing fuel efficiency is a given.
Old 08-04-09, 05:51 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Concept of this picture is so flawed and doesn't make any sense!

Anyway its not about FWD, RWD or AWD its about implementation of it.
Great FWD (Acura TL-S) owns mediocre RWD (Mustang) and vice versa. RWD AWD in luxury cars like MB, Lexus, BMW, Audi cant stand a chance against FWD based AWD of an Evo in performance shootout and so on.

Yes I hate FWD understeer but also I am one of few that doesn't enjoy RWD oversteer either and I don't perceive it as fun at all. I perceive it as cars incompetence as much as understeer, but some manufacturers (mainly BMW) make their cars oversteer early to make you think you are driving sporty while you are actually not.
Old 08-04-09, 07:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
The cars were not a lot heavier. Cars are heavier now than they've ever been. The SHO Taurus weighs more than a 1968 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon with a 460, all iron V8.
Maybe......but most cars today are not like the SHO Taurus. They don't weigh as much. And even some of the biggest, most well-equipped luxury cars today, like the Mercedes S550 and Lexus LS460, weigh in the vicinity of 4400-4500 lbs, well below the 5100-5300 lb.curb weight of the 60's vintage Cadillacs, Lincolns, and Imperials.

And what kind of fuel mileage did your 390's and 427's get? 12 mpg on the highway? Maybe?
My dad had a 390 Thunderbird. It got 8-10 in town and about 15-16 on the highway, on 100-octane leaded gas.

That's my point. Technology will get us to 400+ HP and 35+ mpg by 2040. Like you said, we don't know the future, but higher HP with ever increasing fuel efficiency is a given.
Time will tell. But, like I said earlier, by 2040, I don't think we will be using petroleum-based gasoline or diesel fuel any more.
Old 08-04-09, 07:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
More and more manufacturers, as you say, are going to electronic HP/torque control. If there's one thing that drives me nuts, it's doing just that. Dammit!! if you can't build a FWD layout that will handle the HP, then don't build it, or make it RWD. Limiting Torque and HP in lower gears because the engine has "too much" HP is amazingly moronic. It's the Stupidest engineering I have ever seen. It pissed me off to no end. It's like making gas mileage too good and then manipilating the computer to make it worse. It makes no sense to me. It sickens me the more I see it.

Rant over.
how do you really feel about that?

about controlling HP/torque - newsflash, this occurs for RWD and AWD also, so you can't avoid it. VSC (lexus), ETC (gm), DSC (mazda), RSC (ford), etc., etc. all controlling engine power, transmission, sometimes a differential, etc.

game over.
Old 08-04-09, 07:55 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

There are so many FWD hot hatches in Europe and Asian markets. We need hot hatches.