Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test Drove the New 2010 E-Class

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-09, 04:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
Anyone who wants real leather in their Mercedes', well, shedding out an extra [insert $ four-digit-number here] isn't a problem for these people. Those who want a Mercedes want a Mercedes. It's an old saying I've seen on a number of forums. People are willing to pay for this. It's that simple. Value has never been a trait of this company.
Not really, at least not in this country. Most people who buy luxury cars here are just looking to get the mininum monthly payment that they can cope with, and yes, shedding out extra "four digit number" of $ for options is a problem for most.
Old 08-04-09, 04:08 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

ill have to disagree about the E class and the push button start. IT SHOULD have it standard. Otherwise, keyless go is a 1000+ option which is ridiculous. It wasnt a deal breaker on my C class, (wasnt available in 2008-2009 models, but now is an option for2010). Also a 50K car not having leather is bull too.

Am I the only one who thinks MB tex doesnt look and feel like real leather?
agree. Its rough and grainy. and they should at least use stitching found with real leather.
Old 08-04-09, 04:08 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Not really, at least not in this country. Most people who buy luxury cars here are just looking to get the mininum monthly payment that they can cope with, and yes, shedding out extra "four digit number" of $ for options is a problem for most.
No it isn't.

If you're gunning for a Mercedes you can most definitely afford it and the cost of the options. For these people money isn't an issue.

Those people you mentioned who are having troubles paying their various bills are not representative of the whole luxury market. They shouldn't even be considering these expensive products in the first place. Financial Management 101...
Old 08-04-09, 04:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

On a side note, is that true that new E class coupe is actually based on the C class platform and therefore cheaper than E sedan?
Old 08-04-09, 04:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

No it isn't.

If you're gunning for a Mercedes you can most definitely afford it and the cost of the options. For these people money isn't an issue.

Those people you mentioned who are having troubles paying their various bills are not representative of the whole luxury market. They shouldn't even be considering these expensive products in the first place. Financial Management 101...
Come to this side of the pond then, you'll see. Its all about payments, hardly anyone buys cars with cash, hell hardly anyone buys new cars, most of them are leased, and guess who offers the best lease deals? MB and BMW.
Old 08-04-09, 04:12 PM
RXSF

On a side note, is that true that new E class coupe is actually based on the C class platform and therefore cheaper than E sedan?
yes

it was an issue for me. When i bought my C class, i really wanted the leather option between it changes not only the seat surfaces, but also adds leather on the door panels.

If i got the leather option, at $1500 big ones, it would have pushed the OTD price beyond 50K, for a C class! there was no way i would pay more for the C class than i did for my RX
Old 08-04-09, 04:13 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
ill have to disagree about the E class and the push button start. IT SHOULD have it standard.
WHY?

Because a lowly Camry has it?

Originally Posted by RXSF
Also a 50K car not having leather is bull too.
What's the problem, exactly? Not to long ago expensive sports cars had cloth seats.

MB-Tex gets the job done. It appears high quality and it looks and feels like some sort of leather. Perhaps prospective Mercedes' clients toggle with the idea of real leather but they're happy with the standard MB-Tex in the end because of durability and cleaning reasons.
Old 08-04-09, 04:14 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Come to this side of the pond then, you'll see. Its all about payments, hardly anyone buys cars with cash, hell hardly anyone buys new cars, most of them are leased, and guess who offers the best lease deals? MB and BMW.
You're missing my point. If your finances don't permit it then you shouldn't be touching a Mercedes or BMW or even a Lexus through leasing or buying.
Old 08-04-09, 04:17 PM
RXSF

WHY?

Because a lowly Camry has it?
in short, yes. lol. Automotive engineers are running out of things to add to their cars to seperate luxury cars from lower status cars. The Corolla can now get navigation, the prius? pre collision, and the LS460 advanced parking guidance system. Why else would you buy a lexus versus a toyota if the options are now blurred together. (we will leave sound isolation and status out of the equation).

The simple fact is that push button start is now a luxury item. it seperates the toyota from the lexus (except hybrids), the nissans from the infinities, and the hondas from the acuras.

A mid sized executive sedan from mercedes should therefore match and exceed the options of a camry. And thats not even mentioning the convenience of not having to take out your key
Old 08-04-09, 04:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

You're missing my point. If your finances don't permit it then you shouldn't be touching a Mercedes or BMW or even a Lexus through leasing or buying.
Im not missing your point, I agree with your point 100%, thats why I would never lease or finance a car, I find it a lot smarter to outright buy a used car.

However the truth is, most people lease or finance their cars. Just look up statistics on what % of BMWs are leased. And when you're leasing, your goal is to get the lowest monthly payment that you can afford, with a little as possible down. Thats simply how most people are able to afford these cars.

Last edited by Och; 08-04-09 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-04-09, 04:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

With regards to pushbutton start, I actually prefer the classic ignition cylinder. I have all my keys on the same ring, and its just convenint to stick them all into the cylinder, this way you dont have to keep them in your pockets while driving, and you dont have to find a place to put them in your car.
Old 08-04-09, 04:35 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny statement...

Unless you can open your mind and listen to what people actually live here in the states have to say about how people buy the so called "luxury cars" in this country any arguments and/or comments from you is just moot...

However I'll add that a lot (in a lot I mean A LOT) of people here in the US LEASE their luxury cars instead of PURCHASE it. Over 50% of the BMW sold here are leased so your "If you can't afford extra cost for real leather then you shouldn't buy a luxury car" argument does not stand what-so-ever. Also, besides people who lease the cars A LOT of people finance their luxury cars here in the land of the red-white-n'-blue. So either way your argument is against the reality here in the good ole' USA.

As for "you shouldn't be touching a Mercedes or BMW or even a Lexus" I have to say that's somewhat against the reality too. In some ways a Lexus actually cost more to own because Lexus doesn't offer crazy lease deals like the Germans normally do.
Old 08-04-09, 05:32 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
The Lexus glove leather do not wear well over time. You look in most 3 year old Lexus and the leather usually have wrinkles in it. Look into a BMW's roughter and thicker leather after 3 years and its as good as new.
i agree. although soft and nice when new, lexus leather wears badly over a short time. i actually prefer the "rough" leather in bmw and benz. if mb tex was offered in my E550, i would have taken that over the leather, even if the cost were the same. mb tex looks brand new all the time.
Old 08-04-09, 05:37 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We seem to define the luxury class as a market where everyone thinks alike - they don't. Just because a Camry has this feature doesn't mean the E class or other cars need it as well. The lack of an engine-start-button won't hinder E class sales. In fact, I can't imagine somebody buying a Camry over an E class for the sole reason that the Camry has an engine-start-button. Honestly, it's a small trivial matter that has absolutely no effect on the ultimate decision when it comes to purchasing a car.

And the Camry doesn't influence what the E class has or hasn't. Nobody compares a Camry or a luxury car in the market niche of the E class. These cars are polar opposites. The Camry is a mainstream sedan with emphasis on value. There's no need to explain what the E class is because value has never been a Mercedes trait. The Camry shopper cares about value and how much he gets for his money - the E class shopper isn't really concerned about that for the most part. Furthermore, your standard E class in the US comes well-equipped with the necessary features. If they want something else, they can gladly order it.

Mercedes, like other brands, know their customers or what their customers expect in their products. If an engine-start-button was on the wishlist of their prospective customers then it would have been added. Apparently it isn't important.

Inserting the FOB key and turning it to start the engine is not a difficult task, do you agree? It's not a difficult task and it starts the engine, just like a button would, right? And an engine-start-button still requires that you insert the key into its slot. So let's assume that we have two E classes in this theoretical situation: an E class with an engine-start-button and one with a traditional key-starting-system and we also have two drivers who are of the exact same age and physical condition. Both unlock and open the doors at the same time. Both enter the car at the same. Both insert the key into its slot at the same time. Both start the car at the exact same time - one presses the button, the other turns the key. The end result is the same. The car is idling and both were started by very simple and hardly physically exhaustive means. I honestly don't see any advantage an engine-start-button has over the old-fashioned-way at the moment.

Forgive me for talking about my fellow Americans in such poor regard, but you have to understand that for the past years I've been exposed to the European mentality and it has given me a new insight into different aspects. In contrast we Americans do seem lazy and we complain too much. There really is no other way to say this I'm afraid.

A few weeks ago I was in Heidelberg with my wife and we were eating out in a traditional beer garden. The table next to us was occupied by an American family who were clearly tourists and not an army family from the nearby bases. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when the teenage girl (must have been around 19-20) complained about, "How it totally like sucks that nobody here speaks good English and that we like have to speak to them in German."

Um, hello, darling? You're in Germany. Those were my thoughts. Thankfully, I am fluent in German and I hope my accent didn't show when I was conversing with my wife. Now, obviously the little darling wasn't the brightest thing out there, but I've met people (yes, fellow Americans [tourists]) who seemed a bit more educated and they've complained about some pretty trivial things without opening their mind to other possibilities.

I hope we're not offending each other here, by the way.
No offense taken, of course

My main point is really not about convenience or laziness, but about technology and features. I can get in my car and turn the key- wham- it's on. To press the start button you've got an extra step- the brake must be pressed before you press the button and start the car- so if we want to talk about who is lazy it must be those Germans who start their car in just one step, as opposed to everyone else who does it in two

In all honesty though, the start/stop button is nearly a class standard these days and it just seems downright odd that the E coupe doesn't offer it as standard (is it offered at all, or not?). This technology became all the rage about four years ago, so to think that Merc hasn't adopted it on their latest and greatest just seems a little...well...lazy
Old 08-04-09, 05:50 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
No offense taken, of course

My main point is really not about convenience or laziness, but about technology and features. I can get in my car and turn the key- wham- it's on. To press the start button you've got an extra step- the brake must be pressed before you press the button and start the car- so if we want to talk about who is lazy it must be those Germans who start their car in just one step, as opposed to everyone else who does it in two

In all honesty though, the start/stop button is nearly a class standard these days and it just seems downright odd that the E coupe doesn't offer it as standard (is it offered at all, or not?). This technology became all the rage about four years ago, so to think that Merc hasn't adopted it on their latest and greatest just seems a little...well...lazy
I noticed the same thing...no push to start button!!!
Hell...my sister's ALTIMA has that!!!!

I agree with most people when they say the rear tails look

My friend just got his 17year old daughter a 2010 e350 coupe though..
I don't think it lookks as with the tails tinted..

58 grand for a 17yr old...lol
but I'll save that story for another thread..

Her car:

Quick Reply: Test Drove the New 2010 E-Class