Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test Drove the New 2010 E-Class

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-09, 06:39 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The taillights are "off" because they don't look European, they look Asian (like something off a Japanese or Korean car). I was two cars behind one a few weeks back and couldn't figure what it was. I thought it was some new Japanese vehicle I was not aware of. Finally got behind it... "WHAT THE? The new E ?!?!?!?"

As for leather, I don't need to sit on dead cow skin really, but if I'm paying over $40K for a vehicle, it better come with some sort of skin of a dead animal. Would someone buy a Bentley with cloth seating?

Finally push start. I don't really think it should be standard or not, but the fact that you need to take a key fob out and insert somewhere, then turn another "thing" is an extra step. The SmartAccess of Lexus (and many others) where you don't ever need to remove your keys and start the car is best.
Old 08-04-09, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Since we are going even more OT than usual, I should mention that some dead cows smell bad.

At one point the new E-class was the topic.
Fine, but I don't see where discussing the materials that go into the E-class seat upholstery is getting off-topic.
Old 08-04-09, 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
I used to think luxury cars needed leather to be even classified as a premium car, but after having been here for a few years I've had my eyes opened to see a different viewpoint.
exactly. in the u.s., consumers are hung up that you have to slather dead cow hide all over a car to make it 'luxurious'. that's absurd, but perceptions are very hard to change.

MBTEX, sometimes called "Taxi Leather" is a vinyl-like Leather-looking synthetic material that has been commonly used in Mercedes-Benz Vehicles for many years now. MBTEX is a a sort of rubbery-feeling material that has a grained look similar to leather but usually more uniform than leather. To the unknowing passenger (and sometimes owners) MBTEX is actually what you are sitting on, and not actually real leather.

In many newer Mercedes-Benz models "MBTEX with Leather inserts" is the standard equipment. Full leather interior is often an option and not included without an additional cost. Many Mercedes-Benz owners have probably bought their car not realizing that the seats are not full leather.

MBTEX can be very difficult to tell from Leather, as without really close inspection there is not a real "obvious" difference. Most cars that are sold with "MBTEX with Leather inserts" have the center parts of the seats (the parts you sit on and your back rests against) as real leather, and the seat bolsters, sides, headrests, armrests and seat backs as MBTEX. You can often tell the parts of your seats that are real leather as they are usually perforated (the perforation is necessary in order to allow the leather to "breath"). This real leather is often the panels where your bottom sits and where your back rests against the seat. There is also often sections of real leather on the door panels. Everything else is usually MBTEX, unless you got the full leather option of course.

Many dealers and people who are familiar with MBTEX will actually recommend it over Leather. It is commonly joked that you can tell if a 10 year old car has leather or MBTEX. The car with MBTEX interior will still look new while the car with leather will look worn. MBTEX is much more durable than leather, easier to clean and requires less attention. MBTEX is also a good idea to have on the seat bolsters as this is an area that is commonly worked well by drivers and passengers entering and exiting the vehicle. Leather bolsters will eventually crease and these creases over time develop into cracks. MBTEX does not have this crease problem.

MBTEX will outlast leather many times over and most individuals can not tell its difference from leather. MBTEX is an excellent choice for anyone who has children, or plans on owning their Mercedes-Benz for a long time.
great info, thanks for sharing, i was not aware of any of this.
Old 08-04-09, 08:42 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

people on this forum love to blast the New E (blast away til your hearts content)...

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 08-04-09 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-04-09, 08:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
As for leather, I don't need to sit on dead cow skin really, but if I'm paying over $40K for a vehicle, it better come with some sort of skin of a dead animal. Would someone buy a Bentley with cloth seating?
only if consumer demand is there. it's not about cost or material, it's about choice and what people want. maybe in a bentley someone might at some point want cashmere instead of leather. and something like mb-tex is definitely not like typical "cloth". actually, NO car has anything much like "cloth" any longer unless the car is DIRT cheap, and even then, it's more like a short 'felt' like material.

Finally push start. I don't really think it should be standard or not, but the fact that you need to take a key fob out and insert somewhere, then turn another "thing" is an extra step. The SmartAccess of Lexus (and many others) where you don't ever need to remove your keys and start the car is best.
my miata is kind of an in between approach. the flat credit card like key goes and stays in the pocket, and to start it i turn a **** that's kinda like a key already inserted, which of course only works if the card is in range. a push button start is optional.
Old 08-04-09, 08:45 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja

Finally push start. I don't really think it should be standard or not, but the fact that you need to take a key fob out and insert somewhere, then turn another "thing" is an extra step.
don't you have to step on the brakes for the push start?
Old 08-04-09, 08:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
only if consumer demand is there. it's not about cost or material, it's about choice and what people want. maybe in a bentley someone might at some point want cashmere instead of leather. and something like mb-tex is definitely not like typical "cloth". actually, NO car has anything much like "cloth" any longer unless the car is DIRT cheap, and even then, it's more like a short 'felt' like material.
What price range is your definition of "dirt cheap"?

my miata is kind of an in between approach. the flat credit card like key goes and stays in the pocket, and to start it i turn a **** that's kinda like a key already inserted, which of course only works if the card is in range. a push button start is optional.
Several Mazda products (and, if my memory is right, some Hyundais) have that twist-****. Like you, I like that design.

One of the most absurd ignition designs is probably BMW's. Unless you cough up extra $$$$$ for the optional ignition package, you must first insert the "key" fob in the dash and THEN hit the push-button....a needless and silly two-step operation. Same in reverse, when shutting the engine off.

An equally silly design (which most automakers, who once used it, have since given up) is the Mitsubishi ignition switch where, when you shut the engine off, you must push a small button under the switch, with your finger, to unlock the key so you can pull it out.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-04-09 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-04-09, 08:50 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jre002
Felt really no different than a rental Buick...
sign of true disrespect...

Bottom Line of your review:

Meh.
Old 08-04-09, 09:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jre002
Felt really no different than a rental Buick...
That is not an insult by any means.

I can think of lots worse cars than Buicks, rental or otherwise. And the average Buick, mechanically, is more reliable than the average E-Class.
Old 08-04-09, 09:15 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That is not an insult by any means.
he probably wanted to say Hyundai, except there cars have gotten a lot better
Old 08-04-09, 09:19 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
don't you have to step on the brakes for the push start?
yes, but you can keep it depressed when you change gears, so its not an extra step, its a change in order of steps
Old 08-05-09, 10:00 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Fine, but I don't see where discussing the materials that go into the E-class seat upholstery is getting off-topic.
Discussing the seat materials is certainly not OT, agreed. But if you go back and look at all the garbage before my post you will see lots of OT that has nothing to do with E-class or seat upholstery materials. But who cares, anything goes on CHIT CHAT within the forum rules.
Old 08-05-09, 10:02 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
people on this forum love to blast the New E (blast away til your hearts content)...
Please exit the thread since you want to continue stereotyping an entire forum. This is a warning

Old 08-05-09, 11:12 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
in short, yes. lol. Automotive engineers are running out of things to add to their cars to seperate luxury cars from lower status cars. The Corolla can now get navigation, the prius? pre collision, and the LS460 advanced parking guidance system. Why else would you buy a lexus versus a toyota if the options are now blurred together. (we will leave sound isolation and status out of the equation).

The simple fact is that push button start is now a luxury item. it seperates the toyota from the lexus (except hybrids), the nissans from the infinities, and the hondas from the acuras.

A mid sized executive sedan from mercedes should therefore match and exceed the options of a camry. And thats not even mentioning the convenience of not having to take out your key

Well, the E class doesn't have this feature. Period. I doubt it will affect sales and I doubt people will compare the standard features of a Camry to that of an E class. These cars are simply not compared to one another.
Old 08-05-09, 11:18 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Funny statement...

Unless you can open your mind and listen to what people actually live here in the states have to say about how people buy the so called "luxury cars" in this country any arguments and/or comments from you is just moot...

However I'll add that a lot (in a lot I mean A LOT) of people here in the US LEASE their luxury cars instead of PURCHASE it. Over 50% of the BMW sold here are leased so your "If you can't afford extra cost for real leather then you shouldn't buy a luxury car" argument does not stand what-so-ever. Also, besides people who lease the cars A LOT of people finance their luxury cars here in the land of the red-white-n'-blue. So either way your argument is against the reality here in the good ole' USA.

As for "you shouldn't be touching a Mercedes or BMW or even a Lexus" I have to say that's somewhat against the reality too. In some ways a Lexus actually cost more to own because Lexus doesn't offer crazy lease deals like the Germans normally do.

I personally don't see a problem with leasing. It's a form of business and both parties benefit. The company makes money, the customer enjoys the product. Very simple. It's also great way of advertising as friends of the leaser are exposed to the product and in the future may perhaps consider leasing or buying one.

The argument about "ordering extra options" still stands. Many people lease their luxury cars, true, but you're forgetting about the other segment: the other consumers who buy their luxury cars. There's plenty of those folks around, too.

Also, cars have become so expensive (and well-equipped) that leasing is a flourishing business, especially for European brands. Leasing also makes sense for some people because they don't keep their cars for a long time. In fact I believe that your average car owner these days keeps their vehicle for what, two to three years on average?

Quick Reply: Test Drove the New 2010 E-Class