Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test Drove the New 2010 E-Class

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-09, 10:04 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test Drove the New 2010 E-Class

Impressions:

Exterior - IMO, not as svelte as the previous generation E-Class, and I attribute that to not having those classy elliptical headlights. Looks much beefier and substantial with the "sports package", although I was not drooling over the car in either configuration. The more angular lines to this iteration of the E-Class does not completely fail, though. It is attractive, but I think it would have looked much better with the ovaled lights. The more expensive models in the 65K range (base price approx 49K) come with the 18inch wheels, sports package, and strange LED lights in the lower front bumper. You almost have to get the model with the LED lights so that you don't look like a loser, but they could have done something better than what they did. LED Design Score: Audi +5, MB -7.

Interior: Very well appointed. There are some things which I have to comment about though, some good, most bad.

Good:
1 - The navigation screen is properly configured and recessed in such a manner that you will not experience the glare that you do in a 3GS. The screen was also very crisp.

2 - Wood had a very high quality lustre and look to it. Just the right mixture of wood/pleather/and chrome. It's just a beautiful interior to look at.

Bad:

3 - No shifter in the center console. It has shift lever mounted on the steering column like the old school American cars, albiet with electronic display and precision.

*I don't like it.*

While yes, it does free up space in the center stack, I like shift *****. Call me old-fashioned. I like that extra piece of polished chrome and wood to rest my hand on while I drive. The column shifter is dorky and reminds me of dentures and Poligrip.

4 - MBTex seating material is garbage. You must upgrade to leather which is probably very expensive to add to an already expensive car. At least make the synthetic material respectable.

5 - Cheap material on the paneling. Especially at the door frame where the windows come out of.

6 - No engine start button. You have to put a supersized key fob into the ignition and turn like a traditional key to start the car... or pay extra for a push start button like most cars already have standard now. With the sheer girth of the male end of the key fob its almost feels like you are doing something perverted when you insert it into the... ah well you get the picture.

7 - Audio/Navigation control ****. Touchscreen, FTW.

Driving:

Salesperson took me out in a E350 non-sport model. I have no idea why, but I wasn't going to beg him to drive a higher model, and frankly didn't want to spend all day at the dealership. I can say that the steering was uncommunicative and disjointed in feel. Felt really no different than a rental Buick... good pickup, but soft and floaty. I would feel like I was driving a very nicely appointed and status-providing Ford Fusion if I bought that car. It would get you the props, but you'd feel like a phony. I would definitely say go for the sportier models if you are going to buy this new E.

Bottom Line:

Meh.

Last edited by jre002; 08-04-09 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-04-09, 10:10 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

car is too ugly for me to even want to be caught near it
Old 08-04-09, 10:14 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whlkev
car is too ugly for me to even want to be caught near it
Especially when compared to the GS which is just an undeniably sexy beast from all angles.
Old 08-04-09, 11:02 AM
G2GS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm...I test drove the new E class coupe and it already had the leather interior and push button start.
I do agree that the LED lights are dorky looking.
The one thing I did not like was the pano roof. The interior head liner was not sufficient to keep the car cool. OK, so it was 110 when I drove it but still...my GS was much cooler inside.
Overall, though it was a very nice ride.
Old 08-04-09, 11:19 AM
spine911
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002

4 - MBTex seating material is garbage. You must upgrade to leather which is probably very expensive to add to an already expensive car. At least make the synthetic material respectable.

MBTex aka: "Taxi Leather"; synthetic-vinyl...doesn't look too luxurious, but will definitely outlast leather many times over, it is an excellent choice for anyone who has children, or plans on owning their MB for a loooong time.
Old 08-04-09, 11:29 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by G2GS
Hmmm...I test drove the new E class coupe and it already had the leather interior and push button start.
Yes, I saw the more expensive models with those *options*, but the salesman took me out in the el-cheapo model. The same model that they use as taxis in Germany (no kidding).
Old 08-04-09, 11:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i still have a lot of issues with the rear taillights. they just don't look right on a car of this class imho

on the start button. well, i think they are an option on bmw too? i agree though, standard would be nice, but just like other options on bmw and mb, a lot of things are not standard i guess
Old 08-04-09, 11:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by G2GS
I do agree that the LED lights are dorky looking.
The one thing I did not like was the pano roof. The interior head liner was not sufficient to keep the car cool. OK, so it was 110 when I drove it but still...my GS was much cooler inside.
Overall, though it was a very nice ride.
i can't remember anymore, is it that on the e they have the option to use solar energy to power the AC system to cool the inside? somehow i recall seeing it on the previous generation so i assume it's on the new one too. i'd definitely get that option
Old 08-04-09, 11:38 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol E class has that too? I could've sworn that's the main thing on the new gen prius
Old 08-04-09, 11:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for the write-up.

I agree with most of your good and bad points. The M-B Tex upholstery, as you note, is indeed junk....I have complained about it in several M-B reviews. One should get real leather in a car of this price, and not have to move up to a Mercedes AMG for it, as the case is now. And the quirky transmisison-shift stub is awkward to use, as the stub dosn't stay in one position, constantly snapping back to the middle after you shift it.

Since you didn't get to drive a higher-line E-Class, here's my recent review of an E550. It may (?) tell you some of the things you wanted to know.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...edes-e550.html
Old 08-04-09, 11:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I saw my first E Class coupe here in ATL a week or so ago. It's a good looking car but those tail lights just seem off to me.

Thanks for the review
Old 08-04-09, 11:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spine911
MBTex aka: "Taxi Leather"; synthetic-vinyl...doesn't look too luxurious, but will definitely outlast leather many times over, it is an excellent choice for anyone who has children, or plans on owning their MB for a loooong time.
I've had cars with vinyl upholstery. Vinyl can rip just as easily as leather.

The truth is that M-B uses the imitation stuff for the same reason that other European manufacturers do.......money. It is simply cheaper to produce.....and, of course, may win the manufacturer some political points with the animal-rights crowd. BMW, Audi, and Mercedes all do the same thing (now)...restrict true leather to the highest-line products, which usually means AMG, M, and S/RS models.

Look at the average Lexus or Infiniti product, though, and you won't see any imitation, M-B Tex-style stuff there. They (still) do it right.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-04-09 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-04-09, 11:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

some people for various reasons, would rather have something other than dead cows covering their seats.
Old 08-04-09, 12:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by whlkev
lol E class has that too? I could've sworn that's the main thing on the new gen prius
yeah that was on the previous gen E already. i always wonder how good it was/is
Old 08-04-09, 12:42 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
BMW, Audi, and Mercedes all do the same thing (now)...restrict true leather to the highest-line products, which usually means AMG, M, and S/RS models.
As far as I know, Audi still has standard leather in the seating surface in their regular A6 and A8, not sure about the A4 and A5.

With reviews like that, no wonder the new E350 came in last place in the C&D lastest comparo of the E class, M45, 335i, A6 and Jag.

Quick Reply: Test Drove the New 2010 E-Class