Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota president says new sports car planned

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 03:39 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Toyota press releases are becoming more and more like Acura's. Lame.
I agree. Wait, so they are going to produce the NSX, right???????
Old 08-05-09, 03:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I think both Toyota concepts look fantastic. However, automakers usually dissapoint.

Example:

The Subaru B11S concept. Change the front grille and there is a car that I would spend $40k on.
Wow that is an insanely great looking car!
Old 08-05-09, 03:57 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear that TOYOTA is making a sports car. It better not be too cheap as everythnig nowadays from TOYOTA feels cheap.

I would like to see a real Genesis 2 door fighter.
Old 08-05-09, 06:46 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
This is sooooooo lame. I cannot believe that the biggest auto manufacturer in the world needs Subaru's help to make a sports car when Nissan has 2 in their stable already (370Z and GTR).

Toyota = Vanilla motoring.
Flat 4 cylinder > Inline 4 cylinder
Old 08-06-09, 07:41 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fans of Toyota's sporting history have often lamented the current lineup of perfectly competent yet decidedly boring offerings, calling them 'appliances'. The days of the Supra, Celica and MR-2 may yet return, however, with new president Akio Toyoda at the helm.

Speaking today at the 2009 Center for Automotive Research (CAR) Conference, Toyoda said, "My hope is that I can transfer some enthusiasm from the race track to our vehicles and make driving fun for our customers around the world.

"And to that point, I am happy to announce this morning that Toyota plans to build an exciting...fun-to-drive...affordable sports car and launch it within the next few years.

"I am very excited about it...and I plan to fast-track it."

That could mean a debut of the new car as early as 2011 or 2012, which would put the vehicle right on schedule for the 086A joint project currently being developed with Subaru.

That car is expected to be a RWD sports coupe powered by a naturally-aspirated four-cylinder boxer engine rated in the neighborhood of 200hp. Some reports have the car being sold in the U.S. as a Scion, which would help mate the car with Toyoda's statements about affordability and excitement.

Whatever the car ends up being, or looking like, it's exciting to see such enthusiasm for driving, racing and cars in general at the head of Toyota. Let the talk of a Supra revival - hybrid or not - begin!
On the fast track? Hopefully that won't affect quality...
Old 08-06-09, 08:03 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

^^ Basically. We saw what happened to the Avalon. Went from drawings to production in some silly time like 18 months or something. Then suffered a bunch of quality problems when first introduced (but now fixed).
Old 08-06-09, 08:44 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
My guess is that this is the Toyobaru...
Your guess would be correct, as Toyota USA president Jim Lentz purportedly confirms in this article:

Sports Car Could Be Scion or Toyota, Lentz Says
By Christie Schweinsberg - WardsAuto.com

Toyota Motor Corp.’s upcoming new “affordable” sports car alluded to by President and CEO Akio Toyoda in a speech here today will be branded either a Toyota or Scion, a top U.S. official says.

The sports car is the famed “Toyobaru” rear-wheel-drive model Toyota is co-developing with Subaru-maker Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., Jim Lentz, president-Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. reveals in a media roundtable at the 2009 Center for Automotive Research Management Briefing Seminars.

“I think it’s going to be great for sales and great for the Toyota image,” Lentz says of the car, which Toyota is fast-tracking for production in a “few years,” as it tries to inject some vigor into its lineup.

Lentz says the model has been on a short-list for production, but Toyota prioritized the Venza cross/utility vehicle ahead of the sports car.

"I can’t say if we would have been better off bringing a sports car forward as opposed to the Venza,” Lentz says. “I think (the) Venza was the better decision to make.”

“Global limited resources” hampered an earlier debut of the sporty model. He refuses to say if it is more of a “sports car” or “sports coupe.”

In February, Toyota-brand Group Vice President Bob Carter told Ward’s a sports car was desired but not a priority given tight product-development resources.

Toyota models, Lentz admits, “could be more passionate and could have better styling,” but that doesn’t necessarily mean the car will be branded a Toyota. Scion is due for a next-generation tC sport coupe, on sale in its current form since 2004.

Lentz says if the new model were to be branded a Toyota, there likely would be some market cannibalization from the tC. He says unequivocally the tC will have a next generation.

Pricing for the new sports car has yet to be determined, but Lentz says it will be important to price it within reach of Generation-Y buyers.

Volume targets also are unclear, but “high-volume and sports car are often difficult to use in the same sentence.”

Meanwhile, the Lexus LF-A supercar that Toyoda announced earlier today would go into production will be retailed in the U.S.

Whether the model will be available in both coupe and convertible form is still to be determined, as is pricing and its target demographic.

It is possible Toyota will be able to conquest Italian exotics with the LF-A, but officials say it also could appeal to current Lexus owners. The ideal buyer would be a person with a Lexus LS and an Italian exotic already in the garage.

While it will be a very low-volume model, bringing the LF-A to market will be important for Lexus to showcase its technological prowess, Lentz says.

http://wardsauto.com/reports/2009/mb...toyota_090805/
Old 08-07-09, 12:47 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fun to drive and affordable? I hope this means the return of the AE86! And hopefully it's not a fwd.
Old 08-07-09, 01:19 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Toyota press releases are becoming more and more like Acura's. Lame.
Funny, Toyada has already changed a lot of things in Toyota when he wasn't CEO. Now that he is, there will deffinately be a change and it will be for the better. You can quote me on that if you like...
Old 08-07-09, 01:25 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm liking the new president more and more. Hopefully Toyoda is going back to the 80's-90's era of celica, supra, mr2, ae86.