Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota president says new sports car planned

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 09:51 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Toyota president says new sports car planned

TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan (AP) -- Toyota Motor Corp. will produce a sports car that will be affordable and fun to drive as the world's biggest automaker pushes for a return to profitability, company president Akio Toyoda said Wednesday.

He also said his company hoped to make a decision soon on the future of a California manufacturing plant that it jointly operated with General Motors, which announced in June it was withdrawing from the 50-50 venture.

Toyoda discussed in general terms his strategy for reversing a period of losses and slow sales in a speech to the University of Michigan's Center for Automotive Research Conference at a northern Michigan resort.

Earlier this week, Toyota reported a smaller-than-expected loss of 77.82 billion yen ($819 million) for the latest quarter and expects less red ink for the full year than initially projected.

Toyoda said the key to his strategy was focusing on building driver-friendly cars that also meet the need for using less oil and transitioning to alternative fuels.

He said the new sports car would be launched within the next few years. He said it's part of a strategy for turning things around by building cars that customers want.

"We are back where we were 100 years ago, at a point where we must reinvent the automobile," Toyoda said.

The NUMMI plant in Fremont, California, established in 1984, employs 4,600 workers. It makes the Pontiac Vibe station wagon for GM and the Corolla compact car and Tacoma pickup truck for Toyota.

Company officials have said previously they planned to talk with GM about dissolving the joint venture.

GM's withdrawal "has created some extremely difficult issues for us to resolve," Toyoda said. "We are still studying the situation and hope to make a decision soon."
source: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Toyota...81966.html?x=0
Old 08-05-09, 09:58 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Hope it's RWD and boosted and a 6cyl but I won't keep my hopes up.
Old 08-05-09, 10:03 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is that this is the Toyobaru, even though there are stronger rumors about a RWD mid size coupe returning as well.
Old 08-05-09, 10:03 AM
LexFather

yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

Old 08-05-09, 10:08 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I posted this yesterday:

I just read a quick blurb on the Volta concept from 2004:

The concept vehicle named after Alessandro Volta, the Italian physicist who invented the battery, was officially unveiled at the 2004 Geneva Motor Show and it is a study of a hybrid electric sports car. The concept never materialized as a production car due to high costs involved. It features a four wheel drive hybrid electric powertrain of the Lexus RX 400h which combines a 3.3 L V6 gasoline engine with two electric motors. The gasoline engine is fitted behind the rear axle and there are additional two electrically powered engines, one on each axle. The combination develops a maximum output of 300 kW (408 bhp), which enables the car to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h (0 to 62 mph) in 4.03 seconds and reach the top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph).

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

2008 Toyota FTHS Concept:

Pairing a potent hybrid powertrain with essential sports-car fundamentals, the FT-HS is a mid-priced sports car that integrates ecology and emotion in a concept that addresses the question, "What is a suitable sports car for the 21st century?"

Boasting a powerful V6 3.5L engine, the FT-HS is coupled with Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive® to produce a target power output of approximately 400 horsepower and a projected zero-to-60 acceleration in the four-second range. At a mid-priced market position, the FT-HS would be a true "attainable exotic" with 21st-century performance.

Make no mistake about it, Toyota has been toying with this technology concept for a long time and it's obviously for a reason
Old 08-05-09, 10:14 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been hoping for a 400 HP FT-HS for a long time. And if its taken this long so that it can achieve 30 MPG and still be quick, well its worth the wait.
Old 08-05-09, 10:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I think the overall shape of the FTHS is a winner. The front and rear need some work to make them production ready, but overall, I think it has the potential to be a serious looker.

I remember reading all of the press releases from when the concept debuted, and at that time the amount of info they released on the powertrain made it seem like this was more than just a one-off concept. The components used in the drivetrain seem to be easily sourced from other parts of the lineup - 3.5L V6, batteries- and Toyota was strangely specific about power output and performance numbers. They NEVER get that serious unless their is a reason.

I completely forgot about the Volta concept from 2004, but once I read the description it was a dead ringer for a predecessor to the FTHS. It proves that this concept of a V6 hybrid sports car has been tossed around for a few years- far too long to have it just be a one off auto show darling.

I think there will be good news down the road relating to this. Some mags have been saying that a production version of the concept has basically been greenlighted for production, with a sportier gas powered version to follow as well.

While there have been Supra rumors for the last ten years, I think the Volta-FTHS relationship is too hard to ignore, especially in the face of certain rumors and information that is floating around and seems strangely accurate...
Old 08-05-09, 10:32 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I think both Toyota concepts look fantastic. However, automakers usually dissapoint.

Example:

The Subaru B11S concept. Change the front grille and there is a car that I would spend $40k on.
Old 08-05-09, 10:36 AM
Janizary
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
My guess is that this is the Toyobaru, even though there are stronger rumors about a RWD mid size coupe returning as well.
Agree on both points. Strongly think it the 'new' AE86 Toyobaru or the new 'Supra' (though one wonders if it will be both the Hybrid or just the NA variant).
Old 08-05-09, 10:48 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is sooooooo lame. I cannot believe that the biggest auto manufacturer in the world needs Subaru's help to make a sports car when Nissan has 2 in their stable already (370Z and GTR).

Toyota = Vanilla motoring.
Old 08-05-09, 12:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
This is sooooooo lame. I cannot believe that the biggest auto manufacturer in the world needs Subaru's help to make a sports car when Nissan has 2 in their stable already (370Z and GTR).

Toyota = Vanilla motoring.
Toyota owns part of Subie, why not use their great expertise? Nissan and Renault share as well if you forgot.

If Toyota used the one platform, one engine in all cars bag like Nissan, surely it would have some sports cars for now. For whatever reason, they don't want to go that route. I have no idea why not. Obviously it works VERY well for Nissan and kudos to them for offering many sporty/sports vehicles.

I've started a few threads blasting Toyota for offering nothing while Nissan offers many. Its sad you have to jump to a 55k IS-F to get something from Toyota/Lexus. The tC doesn't exactly excite my *****!

Old 08-05-09, 12:17 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

there has been so much hype and so much BS regarding a new sports car from toyota, so it's nice to see that something is starting to happen. Give it a few years though, my hopes still are not very high at this point.
Old 08-05-09, 12:44 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

man, such a tease...
Old 08-05-09, 01:08 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota press releases are becoming more and more like Acura's. Lame.
Old 08-05-09, 03:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I can only hope.

Quick Reply: Toyota president says new sports car planned