Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Toyoda owns!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09 | 03:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Default Why Toyoda owns!

When Akio Toyoda jetted into Cherry Capital Airport in Traverse City, Mich., on Tuesday, there was the usual contingent of Toyota staff waiting to greet him, as well as a motorcade of company vehicles.

The plan, of course, was for Mr. Toyoda, the company’s new president, to ride to the Grand Traverse Resort in a Lexus. But another vehicle caught his eye: the Venza, a new crossover sedan built in Georgetown, Ky.
Mr. Toyoda, a racing enthusiast and car buff, immediately bounded over. “Venza,” he said, according to a member of Toyota’s staff. “Let me see.”

It was not just a cursory glance. Mr. Toyoda looked all over the Venza, which is sold only in the United States and is meant for buyers who have given up S.U.V.s but want a roomy, tall car.

Mr. Toyoda fished in his briefcase for his American driver’s license, which he obtained when he worked in the United States after earning his M.B.A. at Babson. Then he hopped behind the wheel next to an associate and drove off to the resort. (The staffer who had been assigned to drive him wound up riding in a Sienna minivan.)

He will be in the spotlight this morning as the keynote speaker at the annual Management Briefing Seminar, sponsored by the Center for Automotive Research. DealBook will bring you full coverage.

Update: Asked for his impression of the car before his speech, Mr. Toyoda nodded and gave a thumbs-up sign.
http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/20...de-in-us-tour/

I think Toyoda will reinvent Toyota, and in a good way. He is acting in the same way I would if I was put in charge of Toyota.

p.s. Toyota is constructing testing site near their HQ where Toyoda wants to try out every one of Toyota's new models that are coming out world wide
Old 08-05-09 | 04:10 PM
RXSF

he sounds like a cool guy to hand out with. down to earth and all.
Old 08-05-09 | 04:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

He's an enthusiast.

He sounds very enthusiastic about business and cars.

ToMoCo has skewed towards business over cars in the past. Perhaps his passion will balance work/business with pleasure...
Old 08-05-09 | 04:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
p.s. Toyota is constructing testing site near their HQ where Toyoda wants to try out every one of Toyota's new models that are coming out world wide
Hehe talk about exec perks! But it has a worthwhile use.

I'm all for the execs getting to know the cars they sell better. That way they can be more responsive to customer needs. Now reading this would make me a bit curious about what Lexus model he did not ride in, instead of the Venza, but given that the Venza is U.S. designed and targeted, it makes sense for him to try that one out here.
Old 08-05-09 | 04:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

haha interesting story. glad to hear that he's so into cars!
Old 08-05-09 | 04:48 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by encore888

I'm all for the execs getting to know the cars they sell better. That way they can be more responsive to customer needs. Now reading this would make me a bit curious about what Lexus model he did not ride in, instead of the Venza, but given that the Venza is U.S. designed and targeted, it makes sense for him to try that one out here.
I'd most guess they had an LS or new LX waiting to shuttle him. But then again, he can ride/drive those back in Japan.
Old 08-05-09 | 04:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by encore888

probably LS600h.... while he never tried Venza, american designed/made vehicle just for NA - practice he wants to expand on (building specific cars for specific markets, giving more power to local toyota companies when deciding what do they need for their market).
Old 08-05-09 | 04:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

also I am thinking he is looking at it from the perspective of what cars should toyota be selling, but what cars should toyota be building
Old 08-05-09 | 06:05 PM
Trexus

Mr. Toyoda sounds like a cool and down to earth guy. Hopefully he will do so much for Toyota and take it to another level and learn from the mistakes of GM and Chrysler...
Old 08-05-09 | 06:58 PM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

Default new toyota president

http://www.autospies.com/news/Toyota...rts-Car-46680/
http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...401/1148/rss25
Hope Better cars come out better quality then what we have now
Old 08-05-09 | 09:16 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Lets hope this move is for the best.
Old 08-07-09 | 08:33 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Agreed, the LS 600h L may likely have been the car. Now next time perhaps LF-A will be the vehicle to show up in!
Old 08-07-09 | 09:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, a living, breathing auto enthusiast at the top. Wish there was more of that.