Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

328i vs. IS350

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 01:45 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll provide my perspective, being that I picked up a 328i.

I like both the 3 series and the IS. The IS has a much nicer interior and the power of the IS350 does make it a pleasure to drive but I much prefer the ride and handling of the 328i. The 328i also has a much more usable back seat. For me, the IS back seat just wasn't doable. I also got a killer deal on a 1 yr old, only 12k on the odo, CPO 328i. It cost me probably $9k less than buying a new 328i with the exact same specs, and about $4-6k less than buying a 1 year old CPO IS350.

If cost were equal, and the IS had a slightly larger back seat, I would take the IS350 over a 328i.
Old 08-06-09, 01:46 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

IS350 no contest
Old 08-06-09, 03:05 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i'll second the G37 suggestion if he wants manual. g37 or IS 350 over 328. 335 if he leases. g37 or IS 350 if he plans to buy outright.
Old 08-06-09, 04:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
This has nothing to do with magazine racing; the only small advantage the 328i has is handling/feedback. It's totally outclassed in all the other areas.

Now for 5K more, the 335i is a different animal that I would pick over the IS350.
There is more to it than that. When people dump some coin on a luxury car most times people want to be associated with a successful luxury brand that is easily recognized by others. Its not just with luxury cars, but any high end good. A BMW can provide a feeling of "worth" that a better car on "paper" cannot provide. Call it a badge *****, call it what you want but its true. Otherwise the top selling cars in each class would be the best "Value" cars. That is rarely ever the case.

The buyer isn't a car guy and isn't into racing. As Primecut said Speed is a "bonus" but not a must have. He also might not want a larger car as the 3/IS are the same size but the G37 is much larger.

If both cars are 42k and he is buying I say go with the IS. If he is leasing the 328 makes a lot of sense with its "free" maintenance and cheap lease deals.

I am not suggesting any other car b/c he didn't ask about any other car.

Why do you have a red "S" in your signature btw?

Old 08-06-09, 05:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Why do you have a red "S" in your signature btw?
I am assuming the S = Sport, as in G37S. Maybe the badge on the back of the car is like that (red S).
Old 08-06-09, 07:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I am assuming the S = Sport, as in G37S. Maybe the badge on the back of the car is like that (red S).
oh....so I guess everyone on here with a Corolla S and Type-S Acura and Si etc should so the same.

Old 08-06-09, 07:32 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

oh....so I guess everyone on here with a Corolla S and Type-S Acura and Si etc should so the same.
well duh, you get an extra 8 hp.
Old 08-06-09, 07:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RXSF
well duh, you get an extra 8 hp.
Makes sense. It used to be 6hp.....

This thread needs pics.

Old 08-06-09, 08:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

over half of that option list on the 328 comes standard on the IS lol
Old 08-06-09, 08:16 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

It all comes down to what the OP is looking for. Something smooth which feels like your in a old person car or a kiddish car which is stiff and somewhat uncomfortable in long rides..

1sicklex makes some good points about the leg room in the IS. If he plans to drive people around, the Lexus is a no go. Definitely no room in the back seats.

Other than that, I would go IS350 hands down over a 328i. Regardless if it is a lease or buy out. The extra ~80? hp is a extra plus..
Old 08-06-09, 10:15 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I cross-shopped the IS350 vs. 3-series, I did consider both the coupe and the sedan but only felt the coupe was attractive.

Since I use the car occasionally like a 2+2, I felt the sleek IS350 sedan with 4 doors made entry/exit much easier and the back seat was a bit roomier and higher than the coupe rear seat.

For comparison of back seat space, the new C-class has a roomier backseat than the BMW and much roomier than the IS.
Old 08-06-09, 10:41 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Here's an interesting thread on e90post where a guy in a Ford pickup talks about how the 328i is "useless" to him (underpowered compared to its "class" competitors) and wishes the european 270 hp 330i was offered instead of the 328 (because he doesn't trust twin turbo reliability of the 335i)-

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274447

LOTS of heated responses. The vast vast majority of angry responses come from the people driving the 328is/325is.

I think it's somewhat telling, if they really didn't care about straight line power as much as they claim, I don't think they would show their frustration as much as they do.

Lots of class condescension d-baggery in general but still entertaining. Maybe you can extract some useful information out of that topic.
Old 08-07-09, 08:31 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carLx
Here's an interesting thread on e90post where a guy in a Ford pickup talks about how the 328i is "useless" to him (underpowered compared to its "class" competitors) and wishes the european 270 hp 330i was offered instead of the 328 (because he doesn't trust twin turbo reliability of the 335i)-

LOTS of heated responses. The vast vast majority of angry responses come from the people driving the 328is/325is.

I think it's somewhat telling, if they really didn't care about straight line power as much as they claim, I don't think they would show their frustration as much as they do.

Lots of class condescension d-baggery in general but still entertaining. Maybe you can extract some useful information out of that topic.
I can't stand the average person on any of the BMW forums. Completely biased about BMW and about 50% of them are just d-bags in general. Most of them can't admit that there might be a single flaw with any BMW (or German in general) car. If there's a problem with the design of your car, it's not the car's/BMW's fault, it's the fault of your stupid opinion or preference or expectation. If your car broke, there's a 90% chance it was your fault that it broke. LOL

It's a behavior I've seen here and other forums as well with the 'home team' brand, but it's by far the worst on BMW forums it seems. Funny enough some of (but not all of) the BMW fans that frequent THIS forum actually remind me of the people I am avoiding by not going to THOSE forums.

I remember my first post there ever asked if there was an aftermarket cup holder available for my 335i because the stock ones were pretty narrow and would not fit my wife's thermos for her morning breakfast drink. The responses I got largely insinuated that I was a stereotypical fat lazy american who needed to learn the superior habits of the Germans who do not drink big gulp sized sodas or for that matter don't even drink or eat anything while driving. And funny enough these were US citizens telling me this with their nose in the air. I understand Germans don't eat/drink while driving. We do because we tend to have longer commutes with more waiting at stop lights. It's just a cultural different... not right or wrong. And I'm sitting at about 10% BF with a build more ripped than probably 98% of the people in that thread.

FWIW I don't see why anyone that cared much about acceleration/power would buy a 328i or 325i when the 335i and 330i were available, so I'd believe anyone who owned a 32*i who told me they weren't that concerned with power. Those cars have enough power to not feel lethargic and make 95% of drivers out there feel content.

Last edited by Threxx; 08-07-09 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-07-09, 10:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carLx

Call me biased but CL offers the least biased internet car experience. Tons of people on here that own different cars and/or have experience with it. Also we won't let a flame fest continue or even start most times.

I have read that forum before and it made me dumber. Its amazing how bad so many posts are it and its encouraged. Blame the mods, it starts from the top down.

Old 08-07-09, 11:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Call me biased but CL offers the least biased internet car experience. Tons of people on here that own different cars and/or have experience with it. Also we won't let a flame fest continue or even start most times.

I have read that forum before and it made me dumber. Its amazing how bad so many posts are it and its encouraged. Blame the mods, it starts from the top down.
Less controlling online experience on the post.. Anywho, Your buddy needs to experience both cars on his own and come to a conclusion..

Quick Reply: 328i vs. IS350