Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

328i vs. IS350

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 03:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Threxx

Never did I say it was enough to make or break the deal. I did say it was worth considering. Unless $1600-1800 dollars (my best estimate for what an IS350 will cost you if you bring it in to the dealer for all scheduled maintenance in the first 50k miles) is chump change to you?
In reality it's closer to $1000 (I consider anything under a grand rounding error) for the IS350 which is chump change to me for a $40K plus car. The only major service in the warranty period is the $500 service at 30K miles, the rest are $59 oil changes at intervals of 7K miles.
Old 08-08-09, 03:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I consider all factors when car shopping. A smart shopper would also consider finance rates if they plan to finance, expected depreciation, expected repair costs, fuel economy, insurance rates, etc.
Yes, I agree 100% and that's how I deal with and advise others too. As you pointed out depreciation is critical to consider and many people fail to factor that in, it's huge bucks (not chump change).
Old 08-08-09, 03:58 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
In reality it's closer to $1000 (I consider anything under a grand rounding error) for the IS350 which is chump change to me for a $40K plus car. The only major service in the warranty period is the $500 service at 30K miles, the rest are $59 oil changes at intervals of 7K miles.
59 bucks with tire rotation and loaner w/ synthetic or semi synthetic oil??

My dealer charges $110 every 5k miles for oil and tire rotation including loaner car and that's not even synthetic oil. I thought 5k miles was what Lexus recommends for oil change intervals, which is what I based my calculation on - at least I think it was for my GS400.

Also 15k miles was more than just an oil change, as was 45k miles.

30k I remember being more like $650-750 but for my figure above I took your $500 estimate since I have no idea for the IS350.

Yeah 1 grand is small compared to 40 grand, but if somebody handed you a stack of 10 crisp 100 dollar bills I bet you might be pretty excited. Thus, it's not chump change, even if it is a small amount relative to the entire purchase price of the car. If I'm considering everything down to a 20 dollar/month difference in insurance premiums when I shop for cars, I'll definitely consider a $1600 (or $1000) difference in maintenance costs.
Old 08-08-09, 04:09 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hands down, unless your friend really likes driving, he should get the the IS.

The only (and I definitely mean only) reason I'm moving to BMW is for the driving 'experience'. I'm convinced Lexus makes a better car, a nicer are, and a much lower headache car.

edit: when I'm talking about buying a car I do not factor in depreciation because I'm not thinking about when I'm going to sell it. I know I'll sell it eventually but since there's no expiry date on my ownership of said car, trying to figure out what it's worth when I want to get rid of it is about as accurate as the side of a barn.

Last edited by Faymester; 08-08-09 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-08-09, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, I agree 100% and that's how I deal with and advise others too. As you pointed out depreciation is critical to consider and many people fail to factor that in, it's huge bucks (not chump change).
You're right that depreciation is a major factor in owner expense, but, however, it can't always be figured (or guessed) in advance. BMW and Nissan both lost a lot of money on leases because the residual values, at the ends of the leases, ended up being less, and the depreciation more, than what the leasing contracts had figured on. Likewise, Hyundai and Kia products, SHOULD, by all signs, be enjoying less depreciation now, due to their improving reputation and popularity as both new and used cars, but that is not the case either......both are depreciating more than they deserve. Hondas, traditionally, have had very low depreciation, and that has hung on, even though some of their newer designs are less attractive than before....that could be a sign of an increasing preference of the public for used Hondas, rather than new ones.
Old 08-08-09, 04:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

59 bucks with tire rotation and loaner w/ synthetic or semi synthetic oil??

My dealer charges $110 every 5k miles for oil and tire rotation including loaner car and that's not even synthetic oil. I thought 5k miles was what Lexus recommends for oil change intervals, which is what I based my calculation on - at least I think it was for my GS400.

Also 15k miles was more than just an oil change, as was 45k miles.

30k I remember being more like $650-750 but for my figure above I took your $500 estimate since I have no idea for the IS350.

Yeah 1 grand is small compared to 40 grand, but if somebody handed you a stack of 10 crisp 100 dollar bills I bet you might be pretty excited. Thus, it's not chump change, even if it is a small amount relative to the entire purchase price of the car. If I'm considering everything down to a 20 dollar/month difference in insurance premiums when I shop for cars, I'll definitely consider a $1600 (or $1000) difference in maintenance costs.
Yes, we all have different threshholds for excitement about money so I won't go into that, I do respect difference of opinion even if I can't get excited over a grand. But I fully expect discounts on both cars to run in the thousands, not chump change.

Yes, I'm talking dino oil, not synth, no tire rotation on staggered wheels. Dealers are ok with oil change intervals of 5000 - 7500 miles here, and so am I based on knowledge about oil change intervals and oil life. $59 to $69 depending on which one of two dealers I use, no loaner I sit there and wait 1 hour or they will come in mobile van a do change at my office. I skip the extra service at 15K miles (which is "clean AC filter"), plus whatever stuff they make up not in service manual.

I'm like you, I manage carefully insurance premiums too, since I usually have 3 to 4 cars in my fleet at the same time.
Old 08-08-09, 07:02 PM
amdave
Driver

Over 50% of BMWs are leased. This to me is an issue. It basically means the car is not expected to have excellent reliability or be owned for a long time.

Frankly, leasing is designed to put people into cars they can't really afford. When a car maker actively caters to that, they have very little incentive to make cars of high quality and reliability which will last a long time.

People who are financially savvy, no matter how rich, will not lease. They will buy a high quality car which will last 10 yrs+ with little headache or need for expensive repairs.

This is why I own a 2009 LS 460 and not a 7 series or S class.

Lets see what Benz can do in the future - if they can get back to the quality of build they had in the past, I may buy another one in the future. Currently, however, Lexus has the best quality cars out there.
Old 08-08-09, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by amdave
Lets see what Benz can do in the future - if they can get back to the quality of build they had in the past, I may buy another one in the future. Currently, however, Lexus has the best quality cars out there.
Yes, Lexus is probably the most reliable brand, overall, in the upmarket/luxury class, but the Infiniti G and M series (as well as some less-exensive cars) are also up there, and I have seen a lot of people (including myself) have excellent luck with Subarus, Toyotas, and Hondas. Newer Hyundais are also now bordering on excellent.
Old 08-08-09, 07:12 PM
amdave
Driver

I have a 1998 Camry with 200k miles on it sitting next to the Lexus in the garage, so I definitely agree.
Old 08-08-09, 07:15 PM
LexFather

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/08...cars/index.htm

Audi A4 68%
Audi A6 74.1%
BMW 7 series 85.3%
BMW X3 67.3%
BMW 6 series 68.6%
Saab 97x 82.2%
BMW Z4 70.7%
Mercedes Benz E class 70%
LandRover Range Rover 69.6%
Jaguar XJ 65.8%

Old 08-08-09, 07:15 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, Lexus is probably the most reliable brand, overall, in the upmarket/luxury class, but the Infiniti G and M series (as well as some less-exensive cars) are also up there, and I have seen a lot of people (including myself) have excellent luck with Subarus, Toyotas, and Hondas. Newer Hyundais are also now bordering on excellent.
That is true but the 328i is actually surprisingly very reliable considering it is a BMW. While the 335i is a whole different story.

I have a 3 series and a IS so I have experiences with both cars. A 328i vs a IS350 is a no brainer. IS350 hands down..
Old 08-08-09, 07:19 PM
LexFather

Old 08-08-09, 09:35 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over 50% of BMWs are leased. This to me is an issue. It basically means the car is not expected to have excellent reliability or be owned for a long time.

Frankly, leasing is designed to put people into cars they can't really afford. When a car maker actively caters to that, they have very little incentive to make cars of high quality and reliability which will last a long time.

People who are financially savvy, no matter how rich, will not lease. They will buy a high quality car which will last 10 yrs+ with little headache or need for expensive repairs.

You and my father think exactly alike. My dad also never leases, he only buys outright and keeps his car for 10+ years. He had an S500 before and it caused him nothing but trouble, so he switched over to the LS brand. Owned 2 years now, not a single issue (except some wind noise) but he doesn't mind the noise.

I think people who came from the ultra quiet LS 430 are more vulnerable to being annoyed by the wind noise.

Even with the wind noise the new LS is still a LOT quieter than his old S class.
Old 08-08-09, 09:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think its the fact that the cars are really like sensory deprivation vehicles that are outerspace silent are more proned to drivers hearing slight wind noise because there is nothing to drown the trace amunt of wind noise out like tires, exhaust, or even cars in the lane next to you
Old 08-08-09, 10:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

that's so untrue.

while lease does make it possible for some people to get cars they can't afford, but a lot of people (rich people i'd add) lease cars because they like to get new cars every few years and they don't like to deal with selling cars, so leasing is perfect for them. they lease, 3 yrs later, give back and lease another one

Quick Reply: 328i vs. IS350