Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2010 Buick LaCrosse is the best car no one will buy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 10:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
GM WILL solve the problem by making better cars.
at what cost to the taxpayer? when will the 'new' GM be back for another bail-out?
Old 08-10-09, 01:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
at what cost to the taxpayer? when will the 'new' GM be back for another bail-out?
Right now, with the Cash-for-Clunkers program, taxpayers are funding all kinds of new-car purchases, not just GM models, to the tune of $4300 or 4500 a pop. As for another bail-out, possible but not likely......many of the circumstances that led to the bankrupcy have already been dealt with. Much also hinges on what happens with the 2010 Congressional elections next year....and there are signs already of upcoming Republican gains in Congress, possibly big ones. A more Republican-controlled Congress would not be so quick to spend public money, even on big corporations.

And, consequently, some of the work at GM (and the money spent) doing better vehicles has already been done. Most of us, here on CAR CHAT, agree that the new Chevy Malibu, Saturn Aura, Cadillac CTS, Buick Enclave, Pontiac G8, Chevy Corvette, and, to a lesser extent, Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky was development money well-spent. The new Lacrosse, of course, remains to be seeen. Unfortunately, the future of some of those models, with the dropping of Pontiac and Saturn, is in doubt.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-10-09 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-11-09, 04:31 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think they will. Out of BK, GM is off and running with a good start. I see a bright future at GM.
Old 08-11-09, 08:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I don't think they will. Out of BK, GM is off and running with a good start. I see a bright future at GM.
It might be short lived....they have to sell a lot more cars and if the market continues to lag, they will file aGAIN.

Old 08-11-09, 09:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It might be short lived....they have to sell a lot more cars and if the market continues to lag, they will file aGAIN.
Let's hope not. Key areas of change include the brutal downsizing and elimination of entire loser divisions including Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, Saab. Decisions in bankruptcy have happened a lot quicker than when the other lame execs were running the place. Of course there are no guarantees.
Old 08-11-09, 10:05 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The next few years will reveal many things about the American consumer.

1. Are we loyal to domestic makes? Are we ready and willing to give the U.S. makers another chance?

2. If the domestics succeed, then which import takes the blunt of loss? Toyota perhaps. The last few review and quality of the LaCross and Taurus both reveal that the interiors are much improved and plastic panels are "soft touch" plastics. Seems to reversal of sorts with Toyota who has gone hard plastic on many models' base models.

3. If the import models are getting cheaper with domestic makes getting "better" and then American still not embracing the domestics, then what does that say about us the buyers?

I really think that the domestics have a long hard fight ahead and they literally will have to win back one customer at a time. Honestly, I don't see the domestic dealership infrastructure and service improving to change a customer's image.
Old 08-11-09, 10:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

FWIW there have been some hush-hush rumors circulating about the LaCrosse having electrical wiring problems which are delaying it's delivery to many dealers.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wil...ring-problems/

I received this report of a delayed showroom arrival for the new Buick LaCrosse. “Hi my folks are interested in the new 2010 Buick LaCrosse. What an outstanding looking vehicle from Buick/GM. My father called the dealership and they said that the new LaCrosse was shipped then pulled back by Buick. Any news on why? Thanks! Michael” I contacted one of our tipsters. Apparently, “The BCM and ECM aren’t communicating properly. Pop the hood, tinker with something and have someone open the door at the same time and BINGO you’ve got trouble codes galore. You have to go to the dealer to clear them—and that wipes out all memory systems. GM’s having major meetings trying to sort it out. They may have to rewire the platform.”
Old 08-11-09, 10:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

On Sunday I stopped at two Caddy/Buick dealerships to look at the LaCrosse. Neither had any on the lot or in the showroom. No advertising around here either.
Old 08-11-09, 10:49 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yesterday I stopped at two Cadillac/Buick dealerships to look at the LaCrosse and neither of them had any in sight. Dealerships in IL are closed on Sunday, but I looked on the lot and in the showroom windows. I wonder what's up around here. Maybe a regional rollout?
On Sunday I stopped at two Caddy/Buick dealerships to look at the LaCrosse. Neither had any on the lot or in the showroom. No advertising around here either.

You don't say?
Old 08-11-09, 10:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

You beat me to the punch. I was going to edit/delete that one....Old guys are forgetful...
Old 08-11-09, 11:00 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

You beat me to the punch. I was going to edit/delete that one....Old guys are forgetful...
Wow, I forget where the Buick dealer is (actually I didn't forget, they just closed the one close to my work). So I don't know where they sell Buicks anymore around here.
Old 08-11-09, 11:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Wow, I forget where the Buick dealer is (actually I didn't forget, they just closed the one close to my work). So I don't know where they sell Buicks anymore around here.
I'll go searching for you and will report back - Twice!
Old 08-11-09, 01:14 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't think GM will get another bail-out. If GM fails again they will file Chapter 7 full on liquidation just like Circuit City, Mervyns, Worldcom, Lehman Brothers, etc...
Old 08-11-09, 02:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
FWIW there have been some hush-hush rumors circulating about the LaCrosse having electrical wiring problems which are delaying it's delivery to many dealers.
That's one reason. Another one (supposedly) was that the 2009 LaCrosses sold well enough, with the Cash-for-Clunkers program, that the 2009 assembly line was kept going longer than planned, before the 2010 re-tooling, to satisfy demand.

The new 2010 Taurus, another domestic vehicle of great interest, has also been temporarily held up by some quality glitches.

Both are very high on my review list; I'm still waiting for them myself in this area. A lone new Taurus came in nearby a few days ago, but it was a factory program vehicle that was not available for a test-drive, and I didn't want to waste a trip just for a static-only review.
Old 08-13-09, 12:08 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Edmunds seemed to really like the CXS they just did a review on.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*

Quick Reply: The 2010 Buick LaCrosse is the best car no one will buy.