Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Selling my suby for an SC300

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 12:30 PM
Un0RiGiNaL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling my suby for an SC300

Yo guys -- long story short. Im tired of car payments and expensive *** insurance. Im selling my impreza 2.5i for 12500 and im going to get an sc300 for 6k and pay it off and work up from there. No more 200$/month car payments, no more 250$ insurance. Im 17 years old and I pay for everything, car, insurance, gas, phone, and I get help on college money

heres my car, i did all the work myself, the main things ive done are
sti struts
tanabe gf210 springs
rsb/fsb
borla uel headers
exhaust blah blah blah
and all that random exterior crap

When i get my sc300 these are my plans

First start with exterior stuff like wheels and all that, (Some wide *** wheels )
then ill go onto suspension, drop, etc
the car will look good and drive good by this time,
then when i get a full time job and I got money out the *** im gonna turbo it. I got the knowledge (well on subies, idk much about sc300s, can you guys point me to some good threads?). I just need the money and time

Anyways is there a bigger lexus forum than this? (something like nasioc) or is this the biggest forum?

And can you guys point me some threads of reference and give me all the info you got?
Old 08-08-09, 10:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

sounds like a plan. Did you check to see if the insurance is really going to be much cheaper. You are going from a sedan to a coupe so I would think that wouldnt be a good thing for insurance , but the sc will be older and that does help
Old 08-09-09, 02:13 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were to get a WRX or STi, I would get that generation because I lovvvve that grill. Especially the Travis Pastrana one.

Old 08-09-09, 04:23 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

That WRX is my next car.

Keep in mind that repairs on an SC300 could add up quick.
Old 08-09-09, 04:50 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

At 17 insurance is probably going to be high on anything you buy..Do some research if you haven't already... GL... The SC is a grat car to mod..
Old 08-09-09, 06:51 PM
Un0RiGiNaL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
That WRX is my next car.

Keep in mind that repairs on an SC300 could add up quick.
really? i thought they were pretty reliable

toyota parts

and yeha no insurance is higher than mine trust me. a 240sx was like 200$ cheaper
Old 08-09-09, 07:57 PM
Motil10108
Driver

First of all, Welcome to Club Lexus!
This is definitely a great site, i'm not sure if it's the biggest, but CL has vast amounts of information. I don't post often, but a lot of lurking on the forums and reading threads has taught me A LOT. Seeing as you're heading the SC route, the SC subforum always has tons of interesting information to read up on.
A majority of questions or problems that you might have related to your future SC could probably be answered here, or you can use the "search function" to find what your looking for.
CL is a great place to gain knowledge, share, and meet some great people. Once again, i'm not sure if this is the biggest Lexus site( because i don't visit any other ones due to CL having most of the info i need), but the people on here are GREAT and always willing to help.
Good luck finding your SC, keep your eyes out for a 5 speed and check out the vehicle classified section as well. Lately, it seems like a lot of members are selling some clean cars.
Old 08-09-09, 07:57 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Depending on your finances, you should think about the following:
  1. How much money are you losing via depreciation when selling your Subaru?
  2. Have you got an insurance quote for the sc300?
  3. How much money will you need to put in the sc300 to make it as reliable as your newer Subaru?
Currently, you have a nice and reliable car that is not giving you any headaches. Is it worth it to trade it in for something that will need work, and possibly cost you more in the long run?

I'm not saying you should do it, but look at all the angles.
Old 08-09-09, 08:02 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

welcome to CL
Old 08-09-09, 08:23 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Un0RiGiNaL
really? i thought they were pretty reliable

toyota parts

and yeha no insurance is higher than mine trust me. a 240sx was like 200$ cheaper
Sure they are reliable, but any car requires maintence. Things break and the last year of the 300 was in 2000. Starters, cam seals, valve covers, etc. wear out with time. So keep that in mind.
Old 08-10-09, 09:29 AM
Un0RiGiNaL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Depending on your finances, you should think about the following:
  1. How much money are you losing via depreciation when selling your Subaru?
  2. Have you got an insurance quote for the sc300?
  3. How much money will you need to put in the sc300 to make it as reliable as your newer Subaru?
Currently, you have a nice and reliable car that is not giving you any headaches. Is it worth it to trade it in for something that will need work, and possibly cost you more in the long run?

I'm not saying you should do it, but look at all the angles.
Losing about 2.5k selling the suby (selling it for 12500)
Insurance is going to be cheaper than the suby, considering a 300zx is 150$ cheaper. but i will call
I dont know how much money ill need to put in, I didnt know these cars would require alot of work even though theyre old

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Sure they are reliable, but any car requires maintence. Things break and the last year of the 300 was in 2000. Starters, cam seals, valve covers, etc. wear out with time. So keep that in mind.
Yeah true, but do you guys really run into alot of issues with maintanence? Lets say i found an sc300 with 60k miles, most toyotas run till like mid 100s then start having problems
Old 08-10-09, 09:51 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Very nice suby, and you will love the sc300. On a side note no matter what car you buy insurance will kill you, im 16 and drive a 2001 lexus es300 and my insurance is ridiculous, its bout 3 grand a year
Old 08-10-09, 11:53 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Un0RiGiNaL
Yeah true, but do you guys really run into alot of issues with maintanence? Lets say i found an sc300 with 60k miles, most toyotas run till like mid 100s then start having problems
Right, but speaking from experience, you can have a low mileage car that still has parts that wear out with time, not miles. For example, seals wear out due to age even on a Lexus.

I can tell you that my mother's RX300 required a new starter at age 7 and shortly after that it had a massive oil leak. We sold the car at age 8 with 75,000 miles.

Subaru has a reputation for reliable vehicles, but I replaced my clutch at 75k, my valve covers at 90k miles, and the timing belt at the scheduled 105k miles.

So if I were you I'd figure the loss youre taking by selling your Impreza and figure in a couple thousand dollars within the first two years of ownership of an SC300, along with the cost of your insurance. I'd wouldn't be surprised if an insurance company were less keen on a kid your age in an SC300 rather than an AWD, 2.5L Impreza. I'm not saying don't buy the SC, I'm telling you that you will have to spend money on maintence. You can save money by doing maintence yourself, but I've found on my brother's IS300 that Lexus makes it difficult to do so, thus you have to take it to them to fix it right. Not always though.

Last edited by SLegacy99; 08-10-09 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-10-09, 04:07 PM
sphy1005
Instructor

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
sounds like a plan. Did you check to see if the insurance is really going to be much cheaper. You are going from a sedan to a coupe so I would think that wouldnt be a good thing for insurance , but the sc will be older and that does help
Well since he said he's gonna pay the SC off then he could get liability only. That would lower premium a good bit.
Old 08-10-09, 04:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sphy1005
Well since he said he's gonna pay the SC off then he could get liability only. That would lower premium a good bit.
Agreed, as long as he maintains reasonably high liability limits. But that assumes he's willing to drop the comprehensive coverage, I would.

Quick Reply: Selling my suby for an SC300