Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Loaner car question and story from today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-09, 01:45 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What about pick up and drop off? My dealer provides this service, but they don't always arrive to pick up your car at 9am. I had them come one time around 10:30.
Old 08-07-09, 01:48 PM
LexFather

There are simply TONS of Lexus customers and a lot of times you have to remember loaners need service/cleaning etc so they maybe outside for that or someone may have reserved them. The loaner policy continues to get tighter and for good reason. At least they did offer a Hertz rental b/c they told u you would get wheels.

Recently they tried to get me a new 10 RX but someone scooped it at the last minute. No biggie, I got an 09.

There are indeed VIP customers and they get things like IS-F/GS etc loaners, not the usual RX/IS/ES.

Old 08-07-09, 01:48 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I think you meant Lexus (above in red), but with the 11AM arrival, I'm not surprised by the lack of Lexus loaners.
Actually, it was Hertz who quoted me that. Seems like an awefully high number though. That's a new car inventory quantity for some dealerships! lol
Old 08-07-09, 01:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Actually, it was Hertz who quoted me that. Seems like an awefully high number though. That's a new car inventory quantity for some dealerships! lol
Wow, that's a seriously high volume location.
Old 08-07-09, 02:07 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

which dealership was this, or are we not allowed to mention names
Old 08-07-09, 02:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
which dealership was this, or are we not allowed to mention names
We can mention names, but they still have my car. lol
Overall I am happy with their service (so far). So I'll just leave it at that for now. =)
Old 08-07-09, 04:07 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Yes, and you will get the same treatment if you go into an expensive restaurant wearing a $1000 suit as you would wearing a pair of jeans.
Now that depends what city you're in. In Vancouver some of the wealthiest people rarely ever wear suits so treating the guy in jeans worse than the guy in the moderately priced suit can often get you into a lot of trouble.

As for the OP, I'm going to go with a combination of appointment booking time + other loaners' return time (the ones that came in while you were there may have been late returns & as some1 mentioned they have to be 'processed', or the one you were supposed to get didn't make it back or something). However, all that said, that's when how much money you spend at the dealership comes into play; when it's either Mr. new LS every 18mo doesn't get a car v. Mr. 3yr old IS... unless you know someone you're probably going to get the shorter end.
Old 08-07-09, 07:38 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
They are no doubt loaners. The license plates are all personalized plates with the dealer's name and car #. (All RX's). They have a dozen spots reserved just for these.
I should also mention this dealer has 150 Lexus loaners according to the Hertz guy. It's a huge, volumn operation, but kinda surprised it's that high of a number.
It is possible that some of the loaners you saw were actually demo models.

How much volume does this dealer do? How big is it? Mind if I ask what is the name of the dealer. I would like to look up their website.

Again it would cost the dealer money to get a Hertz car so why not give a Lexus if they have one available
Old 08-07-09, 10:02 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I have tried to borrow a loaner vehicle twice at Longo Lexus, where my family bought our 04 RX330 and 08 IS350 because the services took hours and we didn't want to wait there. Both times we didn't get a Lexus loaner, instead we got from rental company, one Toyota Sienna and one Toyota Yaris 3 door hatchback. The service guy told me they were out of Lexus loaner vehicle at both times........I doubt it. But it is no big deal, in fact, I enjoyed driving that Yaris hatchback, make me want to consider buying my next car as a hot hatch.
Old 08-07-09, 10:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pagemaster
It is possible that some of the loaners you saw were actually demo models.

How much volume does this dealer do? How big is it? Mind if I ask what is the name of the dealer. I would like to look up their website.

Again it would cost the dealer money to get a Hertz car so why not give a Lexus if they have one available
The dealer does huge volume. Next to Longo, they could be one of the busiest stores in SoCal. They are located in the San Fernando Valley. They were all loaner cars because they all had the same custom license plates identifying them as part of the loaner fleet.
Old 08-07-09, 10:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There are simply TONS of Lexus customers and a lot of times you have to remember loaners need service/cleaning etc so they maybe outside for that or someone may have reserved them. The loaner policy continues to get tighter and for good reason. At least they did offer a Hertz rental b/c they told u you would get wheels.

Recently they tried to get me a new 10 RX but someone scooped it at the last minute. No biggie, I got an 09.

There are indeed VIP customers and they get things like IS-F/GS etc loaners, not the usual RX/IS/ES.
I wasn't aware certain customers get better loaners than others. Maybe they are hiding these nicer cars in back. I've only seen the usual RX and ES's.
Thanks for shedding some light.
Old 08-07-09, 11:23 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

im not sure thats true. I too have only seen RX and ES, but i guess it depends on the dealership. For one, VIP customers that drive LSh and other top of the line models probably wouldnt mind driving an ES or RX for a few hours. who is really that snobby?
Old 08-07-09, 11:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

funny I got a 2010 RX350 with NAV, sattelite radio, all the bells and whistles today when I took my car in. I am impressed by the service quality in AZ. I think you cali guys are a little behind on this front. This is not the first complaint I have heard from a CA member
Old 08-08-09, 01:18 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

must ... resist ... urge ... to ... make ... joke ... !
Old 08-10-09, 01:21 PM
teeder27
Rookie

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I have tried to borrow a loaner vehicle twice at Longo Lexus, where my family bought our 04 RX330 and 08 IS350 because the services took hours and we didn't want to wait there. Both times we didn't get a Lexus loaner, instead we got from rental company, one Toyota Sienna and one Toyota Yaris 3 door hatchback. The service guy told me they were out of Lexus loaner vehicle at both times........I doubt it. But it is no big deal, in fact, I enjoyed driving that Yaris hatchback, make me want to consider buying my next car as a hot hatch.

A lot of it depends on the work being done to your car. If it is warranty work, then you will probably get a Lexus warranty. If its service work, you will probably get a Hertz/Enterprise/Whoever car, because it costs the dealership less. Lexus dealerships get reimbursed from the factory for their loaners when they are put out on warranty jobs. (Usually, the loaner cars are leased from Lexus, being paid for by the dealership.) If they can put a warranty job that will pay $$ back on the Lexus loaner, they will do that. If its a service job that the dealership is being courteous and giving a loaner, its definately cheaper to put the customer in a Hertz/Enterprise/Whoever rental car, because they get them for cheap'o prices and doesn't cost the dealership as much $$.