Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Loaner car question and story from today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 11:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Loaner car question and story from today...

So today I had an appointment with my dealer to have some things worked on for my IS250. I made the appointment a week ago and requested a loaner vehicle. The lady over the phone said no problem. Then I arrived this morning and my service guy told me they had some "emergencies" earlier in the morning and no Lexus loaners were currently available. He said Hertz would be by shortly with a car. I was fine with all that, as I understand sometimes things happen and do not always go as planned. But what confused me was there were about eight Lexus loaners lined up just sitting there with no one driving them. I was there for about an hour and they remained in their spots with no takers. A few more were also dropped off while I was waiting. It seemed odd they couldn't spare another car with all those sitting there. I politely asked the service guy once more about the ones sitting nearby and he stated the same thing... they had some "emergencies" in the morning and were short on loaners. I didn't press it any further.
So what do you all think was the real situation? Were they anticipating more people throughout the rest of the afternoon who needed loaners? If so, why were those cars being held for them and not for me? I made the same appointmenr they made, no? Could it be someone who has a $70k LS gets more priority than someone with an IS? Even if the IS person comes in first? Could it be those people made their appointments earlier than I did (more than a week ahead of time) and therefor get more of a priority?
Just curious. It's not a big deal, but it's got me scratching my head like there is more to the story than I was told.
*Also want to be clear I was totally fine with the Hertz rental car and know Lexus is not required to supply their own vehicles.
Any remarks and opions are welcomed...
Old 08-07-09, 12:13 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe today is a national No Loaner Day holiday for Lexus dealerships.
Old 08-07-09, 12:26 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what do you all think was the real situation? Were they anticipating more people throughout the rest of the afternoon who needed loaners? If so, why were those cars being held for them and not for me? I made the same appointmenr they made, no? Could it be someone who has a $70k LS gets more priority than someone with an IS?
I doubt Lexus gave you a Hertz Toyota because they were saving the Lexus' models for other owners.

The deealer would of had to pay for the Hertz car for you while they had Lexus vehicles waiting for other owners...that would not make sense as it would cost them to do this.

What makes you think these were loaners? How do you know they weren't some other owners parked in the loaner spot?
Old 08-07-09, 12:53 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I doubt Lexus gave you a Hertz Toyota because they were saving the Lexus' models for other owners.

The deealer would of had to pay for the Hertz car for you while they had Lexus vehicles waiting for other owners...that would not make sense as it would cost them to do this.

What makes you think these were loaners? How do you know they weren't some other owners parked in the loaner spot?
They are no doubt loaners. The license plates are all personalized plates with the dealer's name and car #. (All RX's). They have a dozen spots reserved just for these.
I should also mention this dealer has 150 Lexus loaners according to the Hertz guy. It's a huge, volumn operation, but kinda surprised it's that high of a number.
Old 08-07-09, 05:05 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
So today I had an appointment with my dealer to have some things worked on for my IS250. I made the appointment a week ago and requested a loaner vehicle. The lady over the phone said no problem. Then I arrived this morning and my service guy told me they had some "emergencies" earlier in the morning and no Lexus loaners were currently available. He said Hertz would be by shortly with a car. I was fine with all that, as I understand sometimes things happen and do not always go as planned. But what confused me was there were about eight Lexus loaners lined up just sitting there with no one driving them. I was there for about an hour and they remained in their spots with no takers. A few more were also dropped off while I was waiting. It seemed odd they couldn't spare another car with all those sitting there. I politely asked the service guy once more about the ones sitting nearby and he stated the same thing... they had some "emergencies" in the morning and were short on loaners. I didn't press it any further.
So what do you all think was the real situation? Were they anticipating more people throughout the rest of the afternoon who needed loaners? If so, why were those cars being held for them and not for me? I made the same appointmenr they made, no? Could it be someone who has a $70k LS gets more priority than someone with an IS? Even if the IS person comes in first? Could it be those people made their appointments earlier than I did (more than a week ahead of time) and therefor get more of a priority?
Just curious. It's not a big deal, but it's got me scratching my head like there is more to the story than I was told.
*Also want to be clear I was totally fine with the Hertz rental car and know Lexus is not required to supply their own vehicles.
Any remarks and opions are welcomed...
You should have just asked them--"hey, what about those cars?"
Old 08-07-09, 05:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think you anwser your question, the higher end models gets higher priorities.
Old 08-07-09, 06:24 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think you anwser your question, the higher end models gets higher priorities.
I have my doubts about this because i have always gotten a loane, and so has my mom, even when the dealership is packed and both of us drive a 2001 lexus, es300 and lx470. I personally cant get a loaner because of my age, but when my mom brings my car in she gets a loaner, maybe because we are repeat customers?
Old 08-07-09, 06:42 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Even though you observed the loaner cars in their reserved area. It is quite possible that others may have made their appointments earlier than you did. As far as the return loaners coming in that is a bit of a different story. Service advisors really don't have an idea of what is available to be loaned out until the loaner "processor" advises that there is somethig available. Either that person did not update the system to show loaners available, or could not be found to verify that a "new/available" loaner was available; having just been returned by someone else. When loaners are returned, they have to be "processed". Basically, they need to be gone over throughly, to make sure that the person did no damage to the car other than what may have already been there. They have to make sure the loaner is cleaned/freashened for the next person to take out, they car has to be washed to make sure that it is acceptable to be presented to the new loaner person. All of this will be done prior to making the vehicle "available" for the next person to use, and updated in the system as ready to go. Some dealers can overturn this process very quickly, especially if their loaner advisors are on the ball with what they are doing. Others can take a minute to do so, especially with high volume dealerships. As far as higher end models getting first priority; doubt it. I took my 17 year old LS to a dealer to have some work done, that I could not do myself, and received a brand spanking new ES350 as a loaner. I would have been happy with them giving me a rental car loaner since my car is def not new, but I was taken care of very well.
Old 08-07-09, 07:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What time does Service department open in the morning?

What time in the morning did you arrive at service department?

IMO, I don't think it's so much based on who made appointment first. It's more based on first come first served, that morning.

At least that's my observation based on experience at my dealership. I don't think loaner cars are managed with super precision. I almost ended up with a Hertz rental car when I arrived later in day to drop of my Lexus. But the SA ran and grabbed a return ES loaner as soon as the customer stepped out of the car, to avoid the Hertz situation.
Old 08-07-09, 08:05 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV

IMO, I don't think it's so much based on who made appointment first. It's more based on first come first served, that morning.

At least that's my observation based on experience at my dealership. I don't think loaner cars are managed with super precision. I almost ended up with a Hertz rental car when I arrived later in day to drop of my Lexus. But the SA ran and grabbed a return ES loaner as soon as the customer stepped out of the car, to avoid the Hertz situation.
I can't imagine Lexus would develop the customer service reputation they have by treating customers differently based on the price of the car they own.
Old 08-07-09, 08:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I can't imagine Lexus would develop the customer service reputation they have by treating customers differently based on the price of the car they own.
Yes, and you will get the same treatment if you go into an expensive restaurant wearing a $1000 suit as you would wearing a pair of jeans.
Old 08-07-09, 10:57 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

hope you are being sarcastic G man. lol

I agree with IS-SV, it is mostly based on the time of day you bring your car in for service, its a first come first serve. Instead of asking them if here were any loaners I would have pointed to the 5-6 that you saw on the lot and been like, GIMME!
Old 08-07-09, 12:33 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Yes, and you will get the same treatment if you go into an expensive restaurant wearing a $1000 suit as you would wearing a pair of jeans.
Exactly my point--I'd never return to that restaurant.
Old 08-07-09, 01:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV

The department opens at 7 or 8 in the morning. I made my appointment for 11am and arrived on the dot. This is a very high volume dealership. I was told by Hertz they have 150 loaners. When those are out, they pick up mid-sized sedans from Hertz.
Old 08-07-09, 01:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The department opens at 7 or 8 in the morning. I made my appointment for 11am and arrived on the dot. This is a very high volume dealership. I was told by Hertz they have 150 loaners. When those are out, they pick up mid-sized sedans from Hertz.
I think you meant Lexus (above in red), but with the 11AM arrival, I'm not surprised by the lack of Lexus loaners.

Quick Reply: Loaner car question and story from today...